It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inflation is negative? While utlities continue to rise?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Electric rates are going up for Kansas and Missouri again! KCPL just had an increase in 2009 of 17.5%. Now they want another 11.5% increase? THIS IS ABSURD! I am so angry at this point.
I am going to the public meeting I am going to speak up! I hope I don't get arrested because I will yell.I will not be voilent. I JUST want to scream. I already had to have utlity assitance this year. The only reason I can pay my bill now is because I am on a program that ends at the end of this year. This increase is proposed for 2011 I sure hope they keep that program.
What is a poor college student on disablity supposed to do.
If inflation is so negative why does it take $80 for 2 weeks worth of goceries when 4 years a go it only took $40 for 2 weeks worth of goceries?(same store,same brand.) I may have to start living off of raman and bannanas!
I am only 35 years old but I am tired. I love my life I just hate the money hungry businesses always taking all of my money why can't I have a little for myself. I work part time and worked for 16 years mentally exhausting myself until I broke.
How do I make a difference anymore? Where is the voice of the people?
I wish I could run for president. When I vote I am going to vote everyone out of office. I am simply going to put I vote for no one; our officals are so useless. How many times have I written my congress person with NO results while they lie to us.
I know eventually electicity will only be for the rich but I try to hang onto it for a while longer. I cut out a cell phone and cable. I can't cut out my home phone or internet because I work from home and take online courses.
What will I have to cut to afford another electricity increase???

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
This may be in the wrong catergory so moderators if there is a better catergory please place it there.
Who else is REALLY ANGRY about these rising costs?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

CPI data says that we are only very minimally inflating over last year right now.

2008 -> 2009 actually saw DEFLATION IN PRICES according to CPI.

But I mean when I started to drive gas was .99 a gallon and I'm 26 so....

2005-2007 was a broad jump as well.. but not 2x as much as you were thinking IMO

www.inflationdata.com...

That is if you believe in the CPI and what it stands for..

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
IMHO, I believe that the utility companies are taking a hit because of all the foreclosures & people having to move in with relatives & friends. The government is allowing them to increase the costs so they won't suffer.

Less homes occupied = less people to bill = higher fees

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Afterthought]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I agree.

The reason the price is rising is because they are getting insanely rich.

And the gov't is taking a ton of it in taxes.

You know the only decent job left these days is Mafia.

Sad. But true.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
IMHO, I believe that the utility companies are taking a hit because of all the foreclosures & people having to move in with relatives & friends. The government is allowing them to increase the costs so they won't suffer.

Less homes occupied = less people to bill = higher fees

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Afterthought]

Right because that 50 billion $ they made in profit isn't enough to cover the loss of a few customers??

No you are wrong. They are not losing any $$$. They are taking resources like COAL out of the ground, letting the miners DIE, and then think they can make 2500% profit off burning it.

It's a monopoly. There is no "other" electric or gas company. There is only ONE company.

Every city I have lived in only had monopolies running gas/water/electric.

Competition is the only form of good business. Monopolies suck.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I see your point, but here in FL where my neighborhood now has 1/3 of its residents gone, you have to know that they're taking a hit on all those empty houses that don't need electricity, gas, etc.

It was just a theory. I don't believe it's the ONLY reason, but I certainly feel it's a variable in the equation.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I work for a utility. I'm not insanely rich. Only got a 5% raise this year.
My CEO got a $4 million dollar bonus though. He knows nothing about utilities but the Board of Directors, most of whom also don't know anything about utilities, voted him the bonus because he triiieeed reeaaallyy hard. Oh yeah, and he ******-up our retirements. $1,500 less per month when I'm 62. But, at least, he's rich. He also wants people only to work here 7 years, then move on. After 3 years here, he'll have over $10 million to move on with.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Another reason for the increase might be because they need the money to build nuclear power plants.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The utility companies, especially electric, are criminal. Everyone knows this, everyone in any area will have a story to tell. We only pay them and put up with it because we couldn't have electricity from anywhere else, we can't even produce our own because we'd have to go through the utility company to do so.

True monopoly, in every sense of the word. The MAFIA of the past would be proud.

No, I'm not being dramatic.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

From my studies if I remember correctly utilities are HIGHLY RELIANT on the bonds they issue. So I can't remember what type they are either municipal or "utility trust"? I don't even remember if that is a real term lol, but I know they are mostly reliant on funding for those purposes.

That is why they will never GAIN EXCEEDINGLY and always provide a dividend. Something like a MSFT or something, although MSFT could take off I guess so that is a bad example, maybe way better is ATT.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I understand that they're run by a corrupt group of individuals. I don't need to be told about coal miners dying either. My great grandfather worked in the coal mines in PA & died of black lung. They didn't care then, & they don't care now. They need the money for other projects that they know we won't agree to fund. I don't want to live near a nuclear power plant & I don't think anybody else does either.

If you go onto MetaCafe, they have a few creative solutions for lowering your electric bill. Just don't get caught.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I am not giving them my money to build nuclear power plants. I dont want a cherynbol like incident in my back yard?
How is that good for the environment by the way? Obama is pushing all these green inciatives how does nuclear power help?
I am sick of the fat cats getting rich off my blood, sweat, and tears.
I really feel that the increases need to stop unless the utlities are about to go bankrupt which is not the case that would be all over the news.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

If you are tired of this you should come up with a better idea to beat them at their own game. Sam Walton comes to mind. Would it be tougher now, err yeahh...

But not impossible. Nothing beats determination. It is better at least than sitting at home blaming people for drinking your blood and all that.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Nuclear power is considered clean energy I suppose. Hydrogen would be a great source!

Well, I guess we've heard enough b*tching about who, what, & why. How are we supposed to combat this?

Does anybody have any ideas?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Well I don't have a lot of money just a few ideas. I am going to the KCPL public meeting and presenting them with my ideas. I am always researching and writing to congress people but nothing seems to work.
I may get a petition going. I am not sure if that would be effective.
My life has been seriously impacted by rising costs. Now if someone makes over $50,000 a year then they might not realize how bad things are for the poor right now.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I just thought of a way to fix things charge the rich more! The rich and wealthy have had it easy for years now it is our turn to live at least a decent life.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I have an idea, but some people certainly won't like it, but here goes....

Since this site seems to have attracted a lot of Masons who obviously rub elbows with judges, cops, lawyers, plumbers, electricians, & many other people who help society go 'round, why don't they start using their clout & connections to get things done?

If the lodges near me held a protest, I would attend. Maybe they should start banning members who are in positions that squeeze the little guy?

Well, Masons, what do you think?

I think you folks could make a difference & get some things accomplished

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I am suprised more people aren't outraged by increasing costs. Electricity rates have gone up 25% since 2008. With this 11% increase that will be 36% this is happening all over the United States not just missouri and kansas.
I even heard of some water companies increasing rates by 22%! This is outragous. When I go to the public meeting I am going to provide some information. What information should I include. I think I will include hardship stories of people who died or were evicted because they could not afford electricity.
If anyone has any links about stories like this please post them here. IN the meantime I am going to continue to voice my opinion. I have already called the energy commission
I am thinking of petitions for eletric increases and water increases. These are nessecaties and should not be going up so much!!!

[edit on 13-4-2010 by dreamseeker]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I made a thread warning about this a year ago:
It's called Class Warfare. Check it out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join