It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma lawmakers and Tea party discuss forming a militia

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Daytomann

Now that is in keeping with the Okies that I have met.

(I used to install networks in 2001 for a company that was eventually bought out by Tyco. And then became an over the road truck driver 2005-2007)

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I really think it'd be a bad idea to turn the Tea Party Movement into any kind of army, ever. Seriously, that would end badly for absolutely everyone.

What I do not understand here though is why doesn't every state have something like the Texas Ranger Division. In peacetime this militia would act as a law enforcement organization answering to the state government, but then if and when a threat arose, they can be utilized as a paramilitary organization again answerable to the state government. It just seems like a good idea to me really.

Here in the United Kingdom the police forces, especially the Metropolitan Police Service and City Of London Police could easily be trained in a few months into a very effective infantry force I'd think. Can American police be easily trained into military units in the event of a crisis? I think it'd be in your best interests to have that option in place, god forbid you ever need it.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

It is a good point and many police agencies within the US are more than capable of handling such a task. For example, The Ohio Highway Patrol are statewide police officers that have jurisdiction in the entire state of Ohio. They self-identify as a paramilitary organization.

However, the basic intent of a militia is that they are private and follow their own orders. That they can be called upon in times of need, but reserve the right to decline for whatever reasons they declare.

In the instance of the State national Guard and State Police (like Ohio Highway Patrol) is that they are under control of the Governor and cannot refuse being called forth for whatever whim of the Governor. A good example was force integration of colleges in the 1960's.

A Tea Party Army as proposed, may have some autonomy. It really depends on their charter, if their formation does happen. Given the media and their strongest supporter now backpedaling, it looks doubtful.

<< 5  6  7   >>

join