It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

REPORT: 60 Hospitals Cancelled Due to New Health Law

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
www.johndennis2010.com...

The new rules single out physician-owned hospitals, making new physician-owned projects ineligible to receive payments for Medicare and Medicaid patients. Existing doctor-owned hospitals will be grandfathered in to get government funds for patients but must seek permission from the Department of Health and Human Services to expand. The get the department's permission, a doctor-owned hospital must be in a county where population growth is 150 percent of the population growth of the state in the last five years; impatient admissions must be equal to all hospitals located in the county; the bed occupancy rate must not be greater than the state average, and it must be located in a state where hospital bed capacity is less than the national average.

And so it begins . Obama care hasent even really begun and this is how it starts? Not good at all.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Hmm, I don't remember seeing that part in this version of the bill. It was in the bill from last summer, certainly, but that bill was gutted and this new bill took its place.

It really irks me when politicians make these claims, but never show the actual location in the bill where the language is located.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
It would be nice if ATS wasn't a dumping place for either left wing or right wing politicians' ideological cronies. But taking disinfo directly from the horse's mouth itself and Cybercast News Service of "the right news right now" really scrapes the barrel. A two minute google search reveals the lies. The instant multiple flagging of this thread without taking the time to research its content is rather indicative of people working together to push agendas. Either that or flat out idiocy! www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12-4-2010 by haterproof]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

more lies about the health care bill.

Arent things bad enough to the point you DONT have to make crap up to spread to people in order get your point across?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Hyper-Regulation?!

Can't say those in favor of this monstrosity weren't warned!

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
Hmm, I don't remember seeing that part in this version of the bill. It was in the bill from last summer, certainly, but that bill was gutted and this new bill took its place.

It really irks me when politicians make these claims, but never show the actual location in the bill where the language is located.

These rules are under Title VI, Section 6001 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. The provision is titled "Physician Ownership and Other Transparency - Limitations on Medicare Exceptions to the Prohibition on Certain Physician Referral for Hospitals."

www.johndennis2010.com...

Apparently, not only did this particular politician show which Title, and Section it is in, he painstakingly quoted the title of that Section.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Whatever your political stand is , you have to agree that less doctors and hospitals and many more patients equals one hell of a mess. Were going to need massive reform to fix the reform .

[edit on 12-4-2010 by bluemooone2]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
[edit on 12 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
This matter is going to have grave repercussions in the foreseeable future. Welcome to the politics of corporations. Next institutions on the chopping block, private universities/colleges, oh wait didn't the recent take of over of student loans kind of already do that? So now they will be able to dictate which universities/colleges benefit from the student loans that will granted.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

It's right below the death panels for the elderly over 65 and the paragraph where organs will be harvested and given to illegal immigrants.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I wonder what will happen to the Gesundheit hospital made by Patch Adams.

Gesundheit!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Part of the almost 30,000 page bill.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Physicians can't own or have financial interests in funeral parlors or mortuaries either. Can you figure out why? This is another instance of people trying to demonize HCR strictly for politcial reasons.

Did it even enter the minds of the koolaide distributors WHY this provision is in the bill? Did they add it just for craps-and-giggles? Or maybe, just maybe there is a reason they don't want any more POH's.

Physician Owned Hospitals

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by js331975

No, but it's right around the area for Obama's Brown Shirts, and RFID Chipping
Oh and don't worry they well be working hard on Amnesty for Illegals nest.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

more lies about the health care bill.

Arent things bad enough to the point you DONT have to make crap up to spread to people in order get your point across?

Agreed. We're going to have enough problems coming our way in the near future, not that we don't have issues right now in the present and have in the past, but there is no use in adding to those actual issues by adding nonsense to the list. Scare tactics? Fear mongering? Which one fits better here?

I really think the new motto for ATS should be "THINK FOR YOURSELF & DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH."

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Umm, I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here, I hate this health care bill for a variety of reasons but... umm... did anyone actually read the article? The title of this thread is bordering on the kind of media spin that people on ATS usually despise.

First off no, 60 existing hospitals are not going to be closed because of this... 60 physician owned "projects" in the "developmental" stage are going to be shut down. Which itself sucks, but from my understanding are hospitals which are in the planning stage of construction and are months if not years away from being actual, viable hospitals. No one's going to lose the hospital up the street because of this.

Don't get me wrong, the hoops the existing physician-owned operations have to jump through in order to get Medicare funding border on the rediculous, but tell it like it is. As a side, a lot of community hospitals have to jump through similar hoops to keep their federal funding up to par - at least the major one near me does. Fortunately it's in an area that has seen exponential growth in population over the last few years.

Please people, dislike this bill because of its actual contents, not because the neocons have made a hobby out of twisting headlines to serve their agenda.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by Legion2112]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Oops. Must have missed that section. I will admit to rather hastingly reading the article. I will also admit some reader bias because the source is a political campaign site. Fail on my part on both accounts

Upon reviewing the quoted section, I do recognize the language from the original 1000 pg. monster that floated last summer. I still do not understand the purpose of this section of the bill. What's the harm with physicians owning the hospital they work in?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Less MD's and hospitals will likely improve the quality and quantity of life. Their wrongful surgeries and Rx drugs kill A JUMBO JET'S WORTH of people per day!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by haterproof

Originally posted by haterproof
It would be nice if ATS wasn't a dumping place for either left wing or right wing politicians' ideological cronies. But taking disinfo directly from the horse's mouth itself and Cybercast News Service of "the right news right now" really scrapes the barrel. A two minute google search reveals the lies. The instant multiple flagging of this thread without taking the time to research its content is rather indicative of people working together to push agendas. Either that or flat out idiocy! www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12-4-2010 by haterproof]

I think maybe you should read the changes to the stark laws my friend. The changes you reference make it harder for physician owned hospitals to expand and effectively does away with the creation of new physician owned hospitals.

Reading comprehension must be difficult for you....

Here is the section of the Social Security Act that Section 6001 modifies

(3) Hospital ownership.—In the case of designated health services provided by a hospital (other than a hospital described in paragraph (1)) if—
(A) the referring physician is authorized to perform services at the hospital;
(B) effective for the 18-month period beginning on the date of the enactment of the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003[275], the hospital is not a specialty hospital (as defined in subsection (h)(7)); and
(C) the ownership or investment interest is in the hospital itself (and not merely in a subdivision of the hospital).

SSA.Gov

Here is some text straight from the

‘‘(B) LIMITATION ON EXPANSION OF FACILITY CAPACITY.—Except as provided in paragraph (3), the number of operating rooms, procedure rooms, and beds for which the hospital is licensed at any time on or after the date of the enactment of this subsection is no greater than the number of operating rooms, procedure rooms, and beds for which the hospital is licensed as of such date.

docs.house.gov

To be fair further down in the amendment you will find this

‘‘(3) EXCEPTION TO PROHIBITION ON EXPANSION OF FACILITY CAPACITY.— ‘‘
(A) PROCESS.— ‘‘
(i) ESTABLISHMENT.—The Secretary shall establish and implement a process under which an applicable hospital(as defined in subparagraph (E)) may apply for an exception from the requirement under paragraph (1)(B).
‘‘(ii) OPPORTUNITY FOR COMMUNITY INPUT.—The process under clause (i) shall provide individuals and entities in the community in which the applicable hospital applying for an exception is located with the opportunity to provide input with respect to the application.

‘‘(iii) TIMING FOR IMPLEMENTATION.— The Secretary shall implement the process under clause (i) on August 1, 2011.

So there will be a way to apply for expansion but no one knows what that is yet and it is completely in the hands of the Secretary.

Here it is spelled out in plain English

Further, Section 6001 limits the percentage of any physician ownership/investment interests in hospitals to current levels. Therefore, this change effectively obviates the exception in the future for additional physician ownership/investment in hospitals.

www.nixonpeabody.com...

[edit on 13-4-2010 by BlackJackal]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
reply to post by haterproof

I think maybe you should read the changes to the stark laws my friend. The changes you reference make it harder for physician owned hospitals to expand and effectively does away with the creation of new physician owned hospitals.

More nonsense. What it aims to do "away with" is conflicts of interest, self referrals, and kickbacks. It is legislation against fraud and abuse.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join