It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Not Send Our Garbage To The Sun? UPDATED

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I'm for the hole digging idea, even though it's still pretty expensive to dig holes. Really expensive. The Earth is a pretty big lump of hot rocks. It could easily absorb any and all garbage we would care to throw into it. And while we're at it, we can use to holes to get some of that sweet geothermal energy.

Otherwise, we're getting better at recycling all the time. It won't be too long before there won't be any real "garbage" to worry about.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Why Not?

Because The Sun Does Not Want It.

Clear? Keep yo garbage and learn to recycle it.

Or die.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
all I know is that they need to stop dumping crap in the ocean, all that trash in the ocean is going to come around to destroy us all, I guarantee it.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
I'm for the hole digging idea, even though it's still pretty expensive to dig holes. Really expensive. The Earth is a pretty big lump of hot rocks. It could easily absorb any and all garbage we would care to throw into it. And while we're at it, we can use to holes to get some of that sweet geothermal energy.

Otherwise, we're getting better at recycling all the time. It won't be too long before there won't be any real "garbage" to worry about.

I don't go for digging holes to vent internal heat, that's already being done by Volcanoes naturally, the last thing to do is speed up the finite process by taking interior heat to the surface. I suppose though, that putting something back into the below Earth at the same time could bring back equilibrium.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by smurfy]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

The idea is a great idea, as fas as i can tell, once we put tethers in place. For more info, Google "TiPS".

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DARKCYDE_CROWLEY
I would say gravity from Venus and Mercury would end up pulling the garbage towards those 2 planets.

I'm not exactly sure what the gravity is on those planets but that was the first thing that came to mind.

We wouldn't even need to send it to the sun. The 2000 degree temperature on Venus would incinerate anything on it's surface.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept
If we shoot all the garbage into space, the mass of the earth would decrease. If we assume that the peoples of the earth produce four billion tonnes of waste per annum, the earth would be entirely ejected into the sun in less than 1.5 trillion years....
This assumes that the vastly more technically advanced civilization of the future wont be perhaps millions of times more wasteful than the present civilization. If that is how things develop, ejecting that much matter from the earth will have extreme negative consequences: The earth would be pushed farther away from the sun. Raw materials would very rapidly be depleted. The surface of the earth would melt from the waste heat produced by launching all that garbage into space.

Here's a question. If you accelerated the earth by ejecting a huge amount of matter from its surface, would that acceleration be canceled out when the ejected matter crashed into the sun?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
How about we leave Sol alone.

The sun is the only thing that keeps this entire system alive, and functioning. I hardly think throwing our useless waste into it is remotely appropriate.

Maybe we should learn how to take better care of ourselves, first. Then consider dumping our waste on other planets, or the Sun, of all places.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Since you cannot create or destroy matter, we could be sending resources that may be viable later in the future to a place where it is irretrievable.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Artanis667
Since you cannot create or destroy matter, we could be sending resources that may be viable later in the future to a place where it is irretrievable.
First part is true,
But the same applies to particles incoming to Earth which makes the second part debatable, and at the moment we are in some sort of equlibrium in the Solar System due to its dynamics. That could change at any given moment. I'm sure that some physicist has already had something to say about this somewhere..

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DARKCYDE_CROWLEY
I would say gravity from Venus and Mercury would end up pulling the garbage towards those 2 planets.

I'm not exactly sure what the gravity is on those planets but that was the first thing that came to mind.

Not necessarily

Too save on rocket fuel costs, the planets could be used to slingshot any "garbage ships" towards the sun, much like the voyager 1 and 2 space probes did to get to the outer reaches of our solar system.

Only problem is, any garbage ship would be a lot heavier than these too, meaning the resources consumed to attempt this feat would be huge

I do like the idea though

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Even better, why don't we just dump our garbage into the Earth's mantle where it could be naturally "recycled". Once we have a hole, gravity works with us instead of against us in getting our garbage to burn up.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Because there is a solution to every problem. (and a company in China willing to mass produce it)

[edit on 12-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

This thread made me think of two things :

The Litter Bug Donald Duck Disney Cartoon 16mm HBVIDEOS

...and...

Punkin Chunkin Part 1

I'm not laughing here.

Not one bit.

While I believe "Global Warming" is a con job, I will not waste resources.

And shows like Pumpkin Chunkin irritate me to no end.

What a waste of food when there are starving people out there who would love to eat, just once more before they die on the streets as homeless individuals.

A nearly limitless source of power and we're going to litter and throw crap into it, to reduce waste, so instead of harnessing that power, just waste it?

This is almost as sad as the nuclear waste dump in Yucca Mountain.

Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Repository

Quote from : Wikipedia : Yucca Mountain

Yucca Mountain is a mountain in Nevada approximately 80 miles northwest of the Las Vegas metropolitan area.

It was the proposed site for the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository.

How about figuring out a way to harness our waste, instead of dumping it inside underground dug out facilities in mountains, or throwing it away into our Sun, an energy source we need as an energy to live?

If anything happens to our Sun, we're screwed too many ways to count.

While I'm not necessarily an environmentalist, at least not hardcore, I hope to see this planet last for all of our great-great-great grandchildren.

And a lot longer than that as well.

Be careful what you wish you as you might just get it.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Recycle Old Light Bulb

When and if we destroy our Sun there will be no coming back from that self-destruction.

Too Late to Apologize: A Declaration

[edit on 12-4-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy

Originally posted by Artanis667
First part is true,
But the same applies to particles incoming to Earth which makes the second part debatable, and at the moment we are in some sort of equlibrium in the Solar System due to its dynamics. That could change at any given moment. I'm sure that some physicist has already had something to say about this somewhere..

I see what your saying. There is though, the prospect that a return from the heavens may not be as fruitful. Almost comparable to the export / import rate with US and China.

Unless in the next decade or so we don't receive a couple large, or a multitude of smaller meteorites (and this possibility is exciting! Imagine discovering a new metal with special properties!
) I don't think it could make up for the sun-bound material we would be sending out.

Granted, there is no "matter threshold" for the Earth, hell, maybe after 10% of the Earth's resources are sent into oblivion everything continues as normal.

I guess the point i'm getting at is that we would need to be sure that a return of sorts would be a sure thing.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I don't know...I just kind of have a hard time accepting a concept in which we throw all of our crap into the almighty, gracious and very much needed sun? Obviously, I'm not a scientist but my natural instinct is to just say no.

What if the sun has a bad reaction to being pumped with junk? I feel like we should just leave our sun alone since it's so important to us. Keep things the way they are and fins another way. But a very interesting and creative idea, anyways.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Was there not a episode of Futurerama like this... but the rocket full of garbage missed the sun and fell into a orbit like a comet. So It returned to destroy the Earth hundred of years later.
what about space elevators?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I was thinking why don't we just burn it or dump it in lava? Seems better than the oceans.

2nd line

[edit on 12-4-2010 by SimpleKnowledge]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LaurenVirgo
I don't know...I just kind of have a hard time accepting a concept in which we throw all of our crap into the almighty, gracious and very much needed sun? Obviously, I'm not a scientist but my natural instinct is to just say no.

What if the sun has a bad reaction to being pumped with junk? I feel like we should just leave our sun alone since it's so important to us. Keep things the way they are and fins another way. But a very interesting and creative idea, anyways.

I thought that as well, until I realized how big the Sun was.

I don't think we could build something big enough to even make a spec of difference in the life of the Sun.

I'm sure it's bit hit by things as big as earth in the past and it seems to be doing just fine.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Its smarter to keep Earths resources right here on Earth instead of actually completely disposing of Earths resources.

One mans garbage, is another mans gold.

If the garbage pits were large enough here on Earth, then in the future they would be mined for all of the valuable metals and petroleum products (plastics) that could easily be recovered; and anything else as far as that goes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join