It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Race consideration for University admissions

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
earthtone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you dareeeeeeeeeeeee

I am a coward when it comes to posting threads

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
you're right. i shouldnt angry that some people want you to feel like a minority when you're not. i shouldnt be angry that you think you're a minority when you're not.

i should just accept the status quo and not bring to the table the fact that this whole concept only victimizes and exploits people like you.

after all you did, so it must be good enough for me too.

no thanks i'm done with this thread.

people seem rather happy in their sheeple positions others want them to have.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

she's not spanish. she's human.

Would anyone be offended if I quoted that in my signature? Sorry, but I just spit my coffee halfway across the room.

You're secretly Bush's speech writer aren't you?

I swear I'm not making fun, that was just funny.

And I've been thinking alot about your point on fat and ugly people lately. Yup, they get screwed. I made great strides in my career when I looked the part. But when you get where it looks like you can't manage your own waistline, no one takes you seriously unfortunately. Happens to bald people too....everyone really as they age. All real isms.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I am a coward when it comes to posting threads

Hey marg, don't worry!!! Listen, as long as you have either a link, or valid opinion to back up what you say then you can post threads all you like. Everyone finds it slightly daunting to post a thread at first on such a large and intensely moderated board, but i say GO FOR IT !!!

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

one is not a victim unless one wants to be a victim.

Tell that to the hundreds of black and asian people in my area who did not get into the nearly all-white school I was sent to when I was younger.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I agree with Prank Monkey on this issue. He's not stating that demographic data cannot be gathered as Rant has defined but rather it shouldn't be used as a deciding factor in competitive endeavors such as publicly funded school admission. If there is to ever be an escape from the racial strife of the past then we must endeavor to remove all aspects of the one over the other ideology in as many places as we can.

Sadly to say, as a GIS person, I deal with census demographics and popluation data on a daily basis and I know why California seems willing to so blatantly break their own laws. If you look at the up-coming population say for the next 20 some years for California, it looks bleak in terms of educational level attainment and skilled workers. This law is not to benefit the Balck American as much as it is the Hispanic population which has exploded. If California doesn't turn more resources into educating its Hispanic population, in 20 years, it will be mostly a service oriented state with low income and high crime rates.

I heard this presentation from someone high up in the Census organization they are very alarmed. To some, this statement may seem racial itself but the people that have to deal with the future and plan for must put their feelings and PCness on hold and look at true, hard facts. Thats why they must be allowed to look at race and nationality and if Black Americans think its for them and get behind it, all the better. Make no mistake, California is trying to head off a future as a welfare state by placing more emphasis on educating the hispanic population.

This might be one instance where the white population should accept the predjudice as an investment in the future of their state. Will they change the tide in time? Who knows? I mean, we have "English as a second language" courses being taught to people who don't know how to read and write their first language. Its definetly an uphill battle. I guess we'll see what the numbers say in 2010.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
You're right Astrocreep. We kind of had a tangent discussion going on. Sorry.

Californians are planning for the Hispanic explosion.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Just some links on why I think this law is being enacted or rather broken. No, its not fair but if it can head off the coming economic dissaster, it might just pay off.

factfinder.census.gov...

www.worldnetdaily.com...

usinfo.state.gov...

and probably the best and most bare bones article I've read...

www.csubak.edu...

It is hard to talk about the population problem, because almost everything that can be said is politically incorrect. People use code-words to disguise their prejudices, so that we do not even have a common vocabulary any more with which to discuss our differences. Words mean different things to different persons. Any discussion about birth rate is clouded by conflicts over abortion.

Those who talk about reducing birthrates within the US may also have racist motives, because the highest birthrates, currently, are among African-Americans and Hispanics. Do they really want to reduce all birthrates, or just reduce the non-white birthrates? And, at the same time, it would be a great tragedy to ignore the population problem because of those fears.

I don't know, maybe this is getting too off the main topic and deserves a thread of its own but if yuo're looking for a reason why California is doing what they're doing, look no further.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Georgia is another state that is feeling the growing Spanish population due to the fact that Georgia is still farming. But in the 7 years that I has been in Georgia and working with the school system they pretty much had taking in consideration the growing migrant population and they are working with it.

In California is ironic to say that their problem has always been there and they have been slow on taking care of it this people are not going anywhere they are going to go to schools, be in college and have medical needs.

Please don't blame us for been spanish and a race, the goverment of US is the one that have Catalogued his citizens and put a sticker of ethnicity to it's people for demographic purposes.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
marg, no, I never meant to blame anyone. As most will tell you, I am more into factual research than playing a blame game. I'm not saying its bad that hispanics are in the US, I'm just saying that unless we begin to put more resources into educating them ,we're going to end up with a large portion of the population poor and uneducated. Plain and simple, its a numbers game with a human variable attached.

Though I am a big proponent of personal responsibilty, I do see the important things we as a society need to address. Who am I to say that I have anymore of a right to be here than anyone else? However, once we get past that aspect, we need to look at things like birthrates and attempt to slow them down a bit. Its not a racist thing, its just the facts that if we don't, by 2050, the ratio of people to square feet will be about 1 per 2000 square feet. Thats rediculous and I don't think we'll make it because famine will run rampant way before that.

No, I don't think there needs to be laws regulating how many children a couple or single person should have. I think it should be a matter of having enough personal and social responsibilty to limit the number oneself. Our government, under the guise of welfare hasn't made things any easier. Here in Appallachia, children are often looked at as more income by those who have chosen a life of social entitlments paid for by everyone else. Sure there are those down of their luck who just need a hand up but they are far outnumbered by those who have chosen the lifestyle because they don't have to go to work. Most of these poorly educated people have the kids and use the additional welfare money for illegal painkillers to squelch the guilt that come with it. These kids aren't taught any other way to make it so they end up the same way as adults. I think the rule of thumb should be to have no more kids than one can feed, cloth, house, and educate without CONTINUED support of a social entitlement program. That, in no way means everybody but white people. In fact everybody I know that falls into this catagory is white. All the Black people I know are educated, skilled professionals with careers in most cases more successful than mine. Granted, I don't live in a metro area so I'm sure there are people of every race that could improve their philosphy on reproduction.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Population going out of control is a world wide problem, but that should be a new thread

thanks for getting in, an post your inside and opinion I appreciate that, and for ThePrankMonkey I hope he feels better later and don't stay mad a me, I started very light and nonchalant about the subject and it kind of got to hot but I enjoyed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join