It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Connecticut bishops fight sex abuse bill

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Update;

This from the Catholic News Agency website:

“The passage of this legislation could potentially have a devastating financial effect on the Catholic dioceses of Connecticut, including parish assets and those of other Catholic service organizations."

www.catholicnewsagency.com...

They really do care more about the money they would lose than the suffering they have caused. IMHO.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

I am unsure what the audience of that publication is.

But here is my take:

If it is for the administrative levels of the church, then the information is meant to explain the business side of the issue.

if it is meant for the congregants, then the information is meant to startle them in a grass roots efforts. The parishioners all know that if the church gets squeezed by lawsuits, the church will squeeze them all for tithing.

Religion as a business is among the greatest evils perpetrated on humanity.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

But here is my take:

If it is for the administrative levels of the church, then the information is meant to explain the business side of the issue.

if it is meant for the congregants, then the information is meant to startle them in a grass roots efforts. The parishioners all know that if the church gets squeezed by lawsuits, the church will squeeze them all for tithing.

Ah... tithing. You're probably right about startling them into a grass roots
effort. The parishoners are sure to be squeezed out of more money. Even though the Catholic Church is incredibly rich, this is sure to put more money in their coffers. To save the institution from those "evil" unbelievers. Shame on them for ever being abused and now wanting justice. Give us your money. A Catholic Church bailout, as it were.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I don't get it why would the church try and raise extra money from the church congregation by this method? The church should practice what they preach!!!!! Simple, since their God is a forgiving God then the PTB in the church should excersise their faith and pray for forgiveness! This will allow their lord to show them the way forward. Is not this what they teach the youth of the church and the lecture on Sunday morning? Surely that is the correct and only way forward. Their lord will show the church PTB the correct way forward and the money needed to set the victims right will be found! This could by way of a miracle i.e. making water into wine to finance those victims that need to pay for counciling and or medical treatment to help the people that TPTB caused harmed to and pay legal bills for the higher ups that have commited the crimes of hiding their molesters from justice and allowing them to create more victims in the process of protecting the guilty! Is this not the churches teaching? Why would the church worry the membership over this cost. These actions does not seem to follow the church teaching!!!! If that is the case then maybe the church should quit teaching and close the doors if that cannot follow what they preach....

Just a suggestion. Seems like their preaching is not being practice.

Surely it is right for a victim either from a car accident or sexual assault should be compensated for their pain and suffering after all the people who are treating these victims are making their living off of these victims so someone needs to pay these bills and the lifes that have been ruined. Why should the victim have to pay twice??????

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

But here is my take:

Ah... tithing. You're probably right about startling them into a grass roots
effort. The parishoners are sure to be squeezed out of more money. Even though the Catholic Church is incredibly rich, this is sure to put more money in their coffers. To save the institution from those "evil" unbelievers. Shame on them for ever being abused and now wanting justice. Give us your money. A Catholic Church bailout, as it were.

To be fair, they are not the only ones. Protestant churches in the south are all about the money. This one in my hometown has a project going on, and they have this big billboard that looks like a credit card, showing the millions they have raised/spent.

If anyone wants a reason I bucked the Christian faith, there it is.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
First of all make no mistake, child molesters are disgusting vial individuals who deserve to be punished to the fullest extent of the law, and the fullest extent of inmate punishment while incarcerated, there is no excuse and no defensive for a person that commits a crime against a child.

I am conflicted about this particular law though. First, the only crime which has no statute of limitations is murder, so CT will be expanding this. Overall, I am fine with it considering the crime, so long as the accused is still living and of sound mind.

Under the current CT law a person has 30 yrs from their 18th birthday(until age 48) to file a case of child molestation. Why exactly would a person need longer than age 48 to press charges against their attacker? If they did need longer, for whatever genuine reason, what if that criminal is dead?

You can't prosecute a deceased person, but you can prosecute the institution assuming the individual case was known and documented.

I'm sorry, but I can only see this as an attempt to bankrupt the Church, and despite what people like to believe, they do not possess vast amounts of cash.

I'm sorry, when dealing with an institution as large as the Roman Catholic Church I have to wonder how many cases are false and seeking a pay out. I absolutely believe some of these crimes are true, however IF it were as common as the media portrays these men would have had no time for anything other than molestation and that would be difficult to hide, people would have known.

I have been Catholic nearly my entire life and I have never met a Priest that was anything but devout, I know that this was not as common as is being portrayed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join