It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Cure' is found for skin cancer, claim scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

A vaccine being tested in the UK has helped been shown to help some patients fully recover from melanoma, even in its advanced stages.

It attacks tumour cells, leaving healthy cells undamaged and carries agents that boost the body's response to skin cancer.

A study of 50 patients with advanced melanoma who had been given no more than nine months to live found that 16 per cent of them recovered completely with the vaccine. They have been disease-free for more than four years.

Another 28 per cent saw the size of their tumours more than halved

It is hoped the licensing will be "fast-tracked" and it will be on the market within five years

Amazing news here about Cancer treatments. We have heard so many different breakthroughs over the last few years and this one sounds like a biggie.

The MSM news coverage is good and hopefully this can not just be another 'so called cure' that ends up being swept under the carpet.

Here's hoping...
g

www.telegraph.co.uk...

[edit on 12-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

They have already got cures for cancer.
Search "cancer act"
search

(fixed link)

[edit on 13-4-2010 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread! This sounds promising. I hope this will be the answer to saving many lives.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

It certainly does sounds promising. they have had good results with this and to have it available within 5 years is not bad at all.

g

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

ok, are these cures available to the public? For skin Cancer?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This isn't right !

I've got a gut feeling they are somehow screwing with us.

I don't know what but a vaccine is supposed to prevent .
Your body gets infected with a similar, death or harmless amount of the disease causing entity and your body reacts to this by registering the danger and makes sure any attack in the future will be slammed down.

Because it was ready for it.

I've heard the same thing earlier along with this one about a vaccine for asbestos cancer.

Cancer is not even a disease. It's impossible to vaccinate yourself to prevent it. A vaccination will only work if the cause of the development of the cancer can be prevented but only if it's a virus or bacteria that causes it.

A vaccine is and never will not be a cure because it's just not what a vaccine is for.

The only way to prevent skin cancer is to stay away from to much UV radiation and sun burn and even then you can get it.

Unless they have changed the definition for a vaccine, there's something up.

Keep your eyes open .

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This happens all the time.
It's probably because due to the economy being so bad..donations are low, and debts are high.
They release "GREAT PROMISING NEWS OF A CURE!" so that there will be a new influx of interest and donations..
CANCER IS NOT A DISEASE..IT IS A BUSINESS.
...best to remember that.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I find it hilarious how people think cancer can be "cured". Obviously some really don't understand cancer or cancer treatment. First off cancer has been around forever and will continue to be around forever as we as human beings are exposed to more and more toxins and pollutants. Hundreds of years ago people died of cancer because of microbes. I know I know.......what? Yes there are theories out there that cancer is caused by microbes. In fact it's a very interesting theory considering they are starting to link many other diseases to microbes and viruses. I.e. lots of evidence linking alzheimer's to the herpes virus. Anyways, nowadays cancer is more of a lack of immunity than anything else. Our immune systems have been so utterly gutted and destroyed by the food we eat and the toxins/chemicals we are exposed to on a daily basis that our bodies can't keep it in check. Anyone that has read anything about Beauchamp's theory of diseaes will understand. It's also ironic that the two most popular treatments chemo and radiation are wreak havoc on the immune system. I'm sure we can all look forward to big pharma solving all the problems in the world with a pill or a shot. I mean after all look at the succes we've had in battling cancer and heart disease!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I'm amazed how negative some people can be at such exciting news.

IMHO, any disease has the ability to be beaten. With advances in genetics etc we will eventually be in a position to cure all illnesses.

I think this story in fantastic news and it will give hope to a huge amount of people.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It is interesting how the absolutes pop out here with claims such as its a business. It can't be beaten.

The same has been said before and will be proven wrong again.

I wonder how many of the naysayers have read the article?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
It is interesting how the absolutes pop out here with claims such as its a business. It can't be beaten.

The same has been said before and will be proven wrong again.

I wonder how many of the naysayers have read the article?

I read the article.
I also lost both my parents to cancer before I was 23 years old.
I studied all the mainstream therapies for cancer, and alternative ones.
I have gotten my hopes up many times articles like this appear, only to be swept under the rug soon after and never seen again.
There is BILLIONS of dollars collected to fund cancer research. There are hospitals and medical careers built solely around the existence of this disease.
Without it..how many would be out of a job..hmmm?
It's a business.
You cannot convince me otherwise.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
First may I say, Jazz10, your link has completely messed up the format of the page, maybe you might consider fixing that please.

Second, it would be wonderful if we found a cure for skin cancer. Too many young people get this awful disease. I often wonder if our sun is the true culprit behind skin cancer or if it isnt something else.

Thank you for the article.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Of course there is a business associated with cancer. It is one of the leading causes of death. That does not mean that cancer is a business. Losing parents to cancer is not unusual. So did I. Are people cured of cancer? Of course. I know people who once had cancer and now lead productive lives.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Of course there is a business associated with cancer. It is one of the leading causes of death. That does not mean that cancer is a business. Losing parents to cancer is not unusual. So did I. Are people cured of cancer? Of course. I know people who once had cancer and now lead productive lives.

A business is built on repeat customers...
Cancer is on the rise, mostly in part to the chemicals and additives that are now a huge part of our daily environment.
Who puts that stuff in our food, air , water?
Once you are diagnosed..the hospitals, doctors, big pharma, have you locked in for life..either on drugs, or check-ups.
Yes, people do go on to beat some forms of it, and still lead productive lives..but they are classed as in remission, and constantly monitored for a return of the disease.
There in lies the hook...

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Too many young people get this disease because they don't eat correctly and their immune systems are junk. Young girls think they can live off chips, soda and peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches. I see it day and and day out at the pool and the tanning salons. Yes melanoma and many cancers are genetics. But they can very well be prevented.

Poo pooing articles like this doesn't make someone a pessimist. It makes them a realist. Some of you think once we find a cure for all of mankinds ailments it will be heaven on Earth. Wrong. Like history has shown we find a cure for one thing and the next virus, bacteria, genetic disease pops up. If we lived a little more simply, ate better, and exercised more and stressed less we'd ALL be healthier and happier. But that would make too much sense and be too simple. Instead we find new expensive drugs for new diseases. The reason there is so much cancer in the world has very little to do with genetics. There is a small percentage of cancers that are purely caused by genetics alone. It's been prove time and time again that many cancers are in fact caused by what we are exposed to i.e. toxins/pollutants. As the world gets more and more polluted you will see cancer on the rise. Human beings never learn.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

With an increasing population repeat customers are not necessary for business.

Next you imply cause and effect with no proof. Then you appear to imply that these causes are possibly purposeful.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
As we remove one disease another disease becomes a major issue. Diabetes is becoming a major issue. The increase in this disease may be due to what we eat and how we exercise.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

AccessDenied, I am very sorry to hear about your parents.

Now, being a cancer survivor myself, and sadly loosing family members to cancer also... in a way I do agree with you. But I find this news promising. And maybe "cure" isn't the correct word, perhaps they should say "A promising new tool to help fight cancer".

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Justaposter

I concur. Well stated.

Congratulations on being a cancer survivor.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

With an increasing population repeat customers are not necessary for business.

Next you imply cause and effect with no proof. Then you appear to imply that these causes are possibly purposeful.

first point..possibly correct,that is why there are children born with cancer.It has been passed on by the parents.

second point...prove me wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join