It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New animal discovered in N. Carolina.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Article: www.news-record.com...

Picture.

That picture has stumped all the experts, and it is supposedly real, and not photoshopped.
To me it looks like a hybrid between a fox, and some sort of domestic dog, but the size is somewhat large.. and makes me wonder just what kind of mating went on; I'd assume, a mail domestic dog, (maybe a greyhound or dalmation) forced it on a female fox.. cause I just can't see a male fox, doing anything to a bigger dog like that if it didn't want it.

I'd say it's probably just a hybrid, and nothing to be too excited about. What do you all think?

EDIT: as pointed out later it is N. Carolina, not California.. I have no idea why I put california earlier. Sorry about that.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by EWom]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   
It looks like a hybrid between a fox and a deer. But I know that is impossible, so I'd have to agree that the dog it mated with is probably a larger breed.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Looks like a standard old Dox to me. They are rare because dog's usually want to chase foxes away due to hunting instinct, but it's not uncommon for a female fox (or wolf) in heat to attract male dogs.

By the way, it looks pregnant.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by Namtar]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Interesting,

Funny, when I looked at the Body, my first thoughts were "deer"
too. That would suggest photoshopping.

Might be real, it has an interesting stance.
But, If It's authentic, I think we should Name it!

uh, Foxhound, no thats taken.

Great Fox
Foxer
Dox?
Fog?

I dunno.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I'd have to go with Dox

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Standard Dox? Really?
I've never seen those.

Only Wolf mixes

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Yeah the rear legs really do look like a deers, the tail however doesn't look anything like a deers.. and my cocker spaniels front legs are very similiar looking to this pictures. Also the head seems really small. If it is a photoshop, that is one good photoshop IMO.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Extremely rare but I've heard stories about them. Thought it was all BS, but that picture seems say otherwise.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I wouldn't think that Dox's would be that rare (in the wild/domestic hybridness) but I would think it'd be with all smaller breeds of dogs.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Rare that they survive into adulthood, or that they are even lucky enough to get birthed alive.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by Namtar]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Looks like mr. doberman and mrs.fox had fun and this is the outcome

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 04:16 AM
link   
neat looking pic, half deer half dog? who knows but its cool. Hard to tell if it was a Photoshop edit though.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by Sapphire]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Anyone have any info on Dox's and like how many there are etc.? That's kinda cool....

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I am not sure if a dog can breed a fox. I think a fox is part of the cat family but the picture does look like something I have seen in a book. Will try to find out.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
it looks like a kangaroo on all fours...

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
pretty cool picture...loosely based on the depth of the grass, assuming the property owner cuts his grass to the prescribed height of 2 1/2 inches it would put the animals shoulder height at around 22-24 inches. The head and in particular the ears are definetly fox, but the tail throws me, it is very feline. Most dog tails do not grow long enough to drag on the ground (not in the picture but it defintely could) and a foxes tail of course is fairly short and very bushy. just some food for thought.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
homepage.eircom.net...

this says that dog/fox hybrids are not likely. dude, do yall really think that foxes are in the cat family(felids). foxes are canids, canines, dog like.

coyotes and dogs mix all the time. and so do all types of wild cats.

i have heard stories from somewhat reliable people who claim to have shot black and white foxes, that they pressumed to be doxes.

perhaps it is a mix between a greyhound and a coyote.

by the way it does not look anything like damn deer. atleast not north american deer.

here is a link to big cat hybrids. there are also tons of wild small cat hybrids.
members.aol.com...

there was a thread on this but could not find the damn thing with boolean.

do threads expire?

[Edited on 6/4/2004 by panchovilla]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
actually alot of breeds of dogs you see with just a nubbin' of a tail,(rottweiler, cocker, doberman etc) have really long tails at birth and are "cut" off to the nubbin. So it could be that.

And foxes tails aren't really that short in comparison to body length.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by EWom
actually alot of breeds of dogs you see with just a nubbin' of a tail,(rottweiler, cocker, doberman etc) have really long tails at birth and are "cut" off to the nubbin. So it could be that.

And foxes tails aren't really that short in comparison to body length.

true enough EWom i forgot about that, you get so used to seeing them that you just figure that's the way they're born. And foxes tails too I checked out a site on them and the body is anywhere from 18-33 inches and the tail can be from 12-21 inches so were looking at a tail length of around 64% of it's body length.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I think it's funny to see how quick people are to jump in with phrase like "Maybe it's photoshoped?" or "If it's photoshopped, it's a good one", etc...

I mean, it's not like he posted a pic of El Chupacabra it-self ! Hybrids happen, ya know? And I highly doubt that we already classified all existing species of animals.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join