Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Merging Man and Machine: We are the internet

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Merging Man and Machine: We are the internet

Well this is interesting stuff I just came across... a bit, frightening to say the least, considering the implications for this could be used for very bad things, but of course the only stuff brought up is how it could be used positively... let's take a look, shall we.

The internet initially began as a researching tool and a networking test bed. The internet has evolved over the years and with the click of a button you can find information on nearly any subject that strikes your fancy. The internet of today is a networking tool more than anything else. The rise of social networking websites allows netizens to use these networks like a virtual diary and discuss every sordid detail of their lives with ease. The internet of tomorrow is being constructed today and I believe you should be informed as you have invested much time and energy into it.

“Computers have reached the point in which continuous, verbatim recording of an individual's life experiences is technologically feasible. The challenge now is turning vast repositories of such recordings into a useful resource while respecting the social, legal, and ethical ramifications of ubiquitous recording. We have built a "memory prosthesis" that can be used to amass such data for the purpose of helping people with common, everyday memory problems.” –Sunil Vemuri

There have been many public technological advances that have allowing people who have lost limbs in wars to walk again. Contact lenses with special circuitry are being tested at this moment that will eventually allow the blind to see for the first time. There was once particular undertaking where a monkey remotely moved a pair of robotic arms and now they are using monkey’s brains to pilot Unmanned Aircraft Systems. Technology is rapidly advancing far beyond the days of ‘Operation Acoustic Kitty’. An improvement on the internet is now on the chalk board and they will attempt improve you and I along with it.

“If the idea of turning consumers into true cyborgs sounds creepy, don't tell Intel researchers. Intel's Pittsburgh lab aims to develop brain implants that can control all sorts of gadgets directly via brain waves by 2020…There are still more implications to creating a seamless brain interface, besides having more cyborgs running around. If scientists can translate brain waves into specific actions, there's no reason they could not create a virtual world with a full spectrum of activity tied to those brain waves. That's right -- we're seeing Matrix creep.” –Intel Wants Brain Implants in Its Customers' Heads by 2020

Source

First off, monkeys are controlling unmanned aircraft? Since when? And who the heck authorized this?! Second, "Intel Wants Brain Implants in Its Customers' Heads by 2020" - Umm, okay? How many of you are ready to allow a chip to be put into your brain justified by it making it easier for you to buy products? Sounds like a joke, but it's not!

How about we learn to use our minds, without the use of technology being put into our brains, and learn to do things telepathically? That would be much cooler, and much better for us all since we'd be evolving much more in that sense wouldn't you say? That may sound ridiculous to you, but does telepathic communications sound more ridiculous than getting brain chips implanted? You decide.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

I would consider to put a chip in my brain. I would wait 5-10 years though as to see the short term/long term side effects. I wish my internet will evolve....I am still on dial up

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
I wish my internet will evolve....I am still on dial up

You're still using dial-up? I didn't know people still used that, honestly. Do you have a mobile phone with internet access? If not, cancel your dial-up service, pay the extra money for the internet data plan on your phone, plug your phone into your computer and use it as a modem. You'll need the unlimited plan because if not, you'd run up a HUGE bill.

When my internet goes out, I do this myself. The speeds are much faster than dial-up, I've tested the speed on my phone and I get around 1-3mb/s download, which I know you're not getting anywhere close to on dial-up. Seriously, you should try what I just said unless you can't afford it. But it would be worth it if you use the internet... 3G is much faster than what you got check up on it when you got the time.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
If they can get this out by 2020 that would certainly be exciting as we'd be right on schedule for Kurzweil's predicted date for strong AI. While there are potential negatives arising from this, they are far outstripped by all the possibilities that will arise from this

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

You really think so? I mean yeah there are many positives about AI, and I too look forward to the positive side to it all - but I mean common look at the movie "I Robot" that movie was made by time travelers who came back to make the movie to show us what's really going to happen!!! Didn't you all know that? You should!

Okay, but seriously the implications for this would be and could be very neat, but think about it, what if these brain chips could control our functions, or thinking in certain ways by using our brainwaves? One push of a button and all hell breaks loose! That obviously would be the worst kind of thing to happen, but it wouldn't be impossible considering the technology we're talking about here.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
A monkey controlling an unmanned aircraft?

Now I didn't find anything regarding that "experiment", but what I found is even more ridiculous.

The California Institute of Technology has been working with a brain implant called autonomous micro-drive that moves electrons around in the brain as it searches for strong neural signals. The scientists successfully implanted a brain prosthesis in a dish of rat brain slices and a similar array of rat brain cells was able to fly a virtual F-22 fighter jet.

Link

Lol...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

How about we learn to use our minds, without the use of technology being put into our brains, and learn to do things telepathically? That would be much cooler, and much better for us all since we'd be evolving much more in that sense wouldn't you say? That may sound ridiculous to you, but does telepathic communications sound more ridiculous than getting brain chips implanted? You decide.

Ofcourse telepathy sounds much better, and we would not even have this discussion, if it was possible. The thing is, however, that telepathy is not possible (atleast in a continuous reliable way).

For the mentioned technology 10 years is a bit pessimistic. I think we have such capability in 2 years. Heck, there are toys even today that measure your brainwave activity from outside the skull and transform it to a control signal for the toy itself...

[edit on 4/12/2010 by above]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Good post. We can see in the news that we are getting closer to becoming transhumans every single day. This article connects very well with one of my old posts. check it out if youve got the time. Theres a very good doc on my thread that explains this. It is inevitable. The question is just when it will occur

anyway heres the link www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
my belief the internet as a whole with all the knowledge being passes back and forth will one day grow to the point of awareness, consciousness, Sentience...a living entity unto itself created by all of us....

SKYNET LIVES

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by above

Pfft. That's nothing. Check out the Emotiv headset. (The vid doesn't start demonstrating till after a bit of time)

Holy crap right?

Remember this is only first gen technology.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by DaMod]

new topics

top topics

join