It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12-year-old protester charged at Sen Harkins Office!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Article:

On Thursday morning twelve-year-old war protester Frankie Hughes was arrested late Wednesday for trespassing after she allegedly refused to leave U.S. Sen. Tom Harkin's Des Moines office. The girl's mother, who was standing outside Harkin's office when Frankie was taken into custody , was ticketed for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

"There is a difference between encouraging a child to break the law and encouraging thought and care for other people," she said. "When you think of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, you think of a parent allowing their children to get involved in drugs, not a peaceful protest."-Atty Sally Frank.

Source: www.desmoinesregister.com...

I just don't know. I think it is getting a little out of hand to be arresting 12 year olds-on the one hand and it is a little unusal that a parent of a 12 year old would let her child be involved to the point of the police arrest/cite her.
One thing to protest, another thing to let a child get arrested.

I think the word is out to the police. No messing around at these Reps/Sens offices. Taking the threats seriously I would say. Crazy times we are living in.

Another story indicated the office was offcially closed and the protesters were there over the War in Iraq and Afgan: Source:
www.kcci.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
In my opinion, kids should be allowed all of the same rights and freedoms as adults, under parental supervision of course.

That said, kids should have EVERY right to peacefully protest whatever they want! It is an American right. Not an ADULT right.

Arresting a 12 year old girl for getting involved and trying to be heard =

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
As a father, and after reading the article, I belive that this is a pathetic excuse for a parent.

The earth can be a terrifying, disgusting place, as well as the most beautiful place we know.

While I am no advocate of hiding the evils of man from my children, I do not believe in slamming them face first into the evil, either.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
It appears she has more balls than most grown men.

I support her.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Senz20

Well, I hadn't thought of it like that.

But I guss you are right.

S

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I don't think a 12 year old is mature enough to understand many of the concepts and what is at stake. Surely whatever she might say would only be parrotting what she has overheard from adults steeped in propaganda.

And for the mother encouraging her behavior....I say bad parenting. Let the child have a childhood. As a matter of fact, it would appear that the mother is making a political statement by setting up and using her own child.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

A 12 year old may not know the ramificaitons of the actions and events taking place around her but I don't beleive she should be kept away or sheltered from any of it either. It is all educational-civics etc.

The problem(s) I have is that she was identified by name in the story-wrong for any juvy name to be put in public. And then, the office was closed/closing. End of the Game-in the office. Everyone should have departed from the facility and protested outside.

The biggest problem this girl will have now is this story hanging around her neck for a while. No 12 year old needs it-regarless how good/bad it is.

I do like your point that maybe the mother was making a statment and used her daughter that way.

new topics

top topics

join