It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caucasian is a Racist Word

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
In the 1800s, early anthropologist Johann Friedrich Blumenbach came up with the terms to denote what he considered the three primary races. These terms were Negroid, Mongoloid, and Caucasoid. Only one of them still remain in use today, and that is Caucasoid/Caucasian. One can already sense the inherent racism in these words.

The term Caucasian is still used today to generally denote white people, though few know the true roots of the word. Obviously, the word Caucasian asserts lineage from the Caucuses. Why are white people implied to have come from the Caucuses?

This is because Johann Friedrich Blumenbach decided that white people were the descendants of Adam and Eve. He also placed the Caucuses to be the location of the Garden of Eden. This is also due to the location of Mt. Ararat where it is believed that the descendants of Noah began their repopulation of Earth. The Caucuses region itself is named after Caucas, son of Togarmah, grandson of Biblical Noah's third son Japheth. Blumenbach believed that the darkening of skin was due to digression from the pure line of Adam and Eve.

Thus, the term Caucasian is racist and inherently implies white supremacy over other races.

So next time someone uses the word Caucasian, you know where it comes from.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
My friend used to say that. I am not caucasion, I am not a native of the Caucus mountains.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by italkyoulisten

Do you know what.......................Who cares, I do not.. I am white and if the termonolgy is caucasian then that's me.

Its a WORD nothing more nothing less

Am I bothered NO

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

Words hold a lot more power than you might think. Firstly, it implies that the elites who decided to keep this term as the main way of denoting white people support the theory behind the word. Secondly, just because you do not understand/care about the meaning behind the word, doesn't mean it's not there. As long as the word is in use, it carries the meaning for future generations.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Wow. Racism is a Fundementalists, Movement type thing.

Blacks don't bother me as much as Capri Instant Sun Tan people, my brother.

We're all different, and yes I'm a T.V. Doctor pushing wrought out Chiropracty Busness.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Technically...

The word Democrat is insulting to Republicans, because it implies that Republicans are undemocratic.
The word Republican is insulting to Democrats, because it implies that Democrats are monarchists.
The term Orthodox Church is insulting to other denominations, because it implies that other denominations are unorthodox.

But sometimes it is possible just to use words as labels and detach them from their original meaning.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by passingthought

I'm not saying that people who use the term Caucasian are racist. I am saying that the meaning behind the word is highly racist, though most people don't realize it.

I just want to say that I believe words [and symbols in general for that matter] and their meanings hold great power over peoples' unconscious.. much more than what one would think.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by italkyoulisten]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

OMG ........Like the blacks (termonolgy) against us .....truly sad man....Its a WORD! Get over it!

[edit on 11-4-2010 by vesta]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
wow- I had no idea ats'ers could be so blind........
yes OP- good job. I never thought about it, but now I know. it sounds so pc- 'caucasian'- but it is the brainchild of one person.
"I am not from the caucus mts" that's a good one.

to the rest of you-
words are empty of inherent exisence- they only live through the power we give them so you should know wtf you're saying. like if I say "your mamma"- are those 'just words'?
peace

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

Yeah but are those words that blacks use on actual legit forms that you fill out? No.

Did you know that eugenics was born out of this early anthropological movement? Eugenics which continue to this day? Eugenics that was socially and widely accepted by academics throughout the western world? They may be "just words" but it allowed the academics to rationalize their experiments and actions to sterilize non-white races! This is a word once used for justification of white supremacy. Words are powerful things.

All I am trying to do is to deny ignorance.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
It's only racist if people think it's racist. Being called caucasian doesn't bother me even a little bit. Interesting history lesson though. Even after reading this, I still will never think it's racist or be offended by being called it.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by VintageEnvy

Think sometimes people are wanting an arguement with the PC team....

This is not the case just acceptance.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Words have no inherent or intrinsic meaning. The meaning of a word is a value that is placed on it by consensus. Very few people know, or are going to try to understand through study, from what the word Caucasian is derived. Therefore, it carries no racial or other prejudiced connotation. The spirit of the word is not, and never was intended to be derogatory.

Just because the etymology is rooted in biblical reference, it does not necessitate prejudice.

That you would imply that Caucasian is a racist word suggests that you are yourself prejudiced, in that you seem to abhor that which relates to biblical history. The prejudice you eschew is against the Judeo/Christian faith.

I, for one, do not fault you for this fact, however, by pointing out prejudice by being prejudiced yourself, is at best hypocritical. At worst, it is contradictory to an attempt to teach tolerance.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by vesta

Do you know what.......................Who cares, I do not.. I am white and if the termonolgy is caucasian then that's me.

Its a WORD nothing more nothing less

Am I bothered NO

Now if only every human being on earth could think this way...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Isn't whites being the descendants of Adam and Eve what every white supremacist group believes? Obviously being called Caucasian wouldn't offend a white person.. because it's not negative. But it does offend people who are not white who knows its true meaning because it implies that nonwhites are a mud race.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by italkyoulisten

Isn't whites being the descendants of Adam and Eve what every white supremacist group believes? Obviously being called Caucasian wouldn't offend a white person.. because it's not negative. But it does offend people who are not white who knows its true meaning because it implies that nonwhites are a mud race.

OMG........................You have so lost this now

Pathetic at it's worst.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DeltaChaos

It's not rooted in biblical reference. It is based on one man's interpretation, a man who was historically a racist. The term Caucasian has already long ago been classified as scientific racism. What it is saying is that first, Adam and Eve must be white. Tell me where in the bible it says that Adam and Eve, Noah, etc.. are white. White people do not come from the Caucuses anyway. The only reason it was named after such place is due to this one man's belief that whites are inherently perfect and superior to all other races, thus they must be the descendants of Adam and Eve.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

Vesta, it is written by the man who came up with the term himself that because whites were so perfect, they must be the descendants of Adam and Eve. He essentially wrote that all other races were mud races, while whites are the pure race. That is the entire reason he assumed that whites originated from the caucuses. I don't understand how this is so hard for you to understand.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I follow you. It is blatantly racist in the truest sense that we still use the term when the two other Names given the worlds' people have been understood to be insulting.
I learned something today.Thank you.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by italkyoulisten
reply to post by vesta

Vesta, it is written by the man who came up with the term himself that because whites were so perfect, they must be the descendants of Adam and Eve. He essentially wrote that all other races were mud races, while whites are the pure race. That is the entire reason he assumed that whites originated from the caucuses. I don't understand how this is so hard for you to understand.

italkyoulisten.............You obviously are a religous person HENCE the Adam and Eve reference.

Wake up and smell the coffee....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join