It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You Heard of Charlie Booker?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Every now and again we encounter individuals who are thankfully immune to the constant bombardment of adsurdity and deception being broadcast by the mainstream media. ATS is a place of solitude for such people, and even perhaps a place of ideological detox? Well anyway the majority here seem to have pespectives that differ greatly from most of the insanity we hear, or read everyday in the form of news.

One man however, has his own weekly program on BBC4 dedicated to exposing the extent of the insanity of the mainstream media. Not only witty and perceptive, his 30 minute slot is, in my opinion, vital in an age of growing uncertainty.

Below is an embedded video from series 2 episode 2 part 1 of Charlie Brookers Newswipe. In this video he provides that essential missing ingrediant - objectivity - to counter the biased sansational reporting from the recent Haiti earthquake. For me this video is a good starting place for those unfamiliar with his work, as it contains all the best qualities of Charlies unique "news parody" format. Hes like the british version of john stewart without the television audience, popularity or budget, and hes better. In another league - of his own. Enjoy the video:

www.youtube.com...

Ok, finally worked out the video, here are the links to the rest of series 2, and the entire first series. Brilliant program, i highly reccomend you watch them all, at your own pace obviously. hope you enjoy, and look forward to your thoughts and comments about this.

Series 1
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

okay that takes ages to get all those links thanks to screenwipe coming up in related videos instead of newswipe making me confued too much...so here's the playlist instead. sorry for the laziness... i was trying to compensate for yours XD

Playlist: www.youtube.com...

PS. Check out screenwipe, his first television series, in exactly the same format but about television programmes in general. Absolutely hilarious.
www.youtube.com...

Edits for the vidoe links and embedding.
[edit on 11-4-2010 by DizzyDayDream]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
s+F for bringing the subect of charlie brooker to ats!

what can be said, his no nonence , no bullsh+t approach to all his "wipe" shows is genuis! ...

his "wipe" shows are brilliant!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
His wipe shows are genius. Its like he's the only person on television not only able to maintain sanity and self integrity but also more importantly perhaps, he provides the anitdote to all the other bull# on our screens. He literally wipes them down to where they deserve a good wiping... if that makes any sense... maybe in my sick mind... anyway, thanks for the reply.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I've been watching the recent series and i've watched some of the previous series the Doug Stanhope parts are good here is a jack cafferty rant.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
haha yes!

"Im Dough Stanhope, and that's why I drink."

"whats the likelyhood of a terrorist attack now that obama is in office. They'll put up big pie charts that say.. ooer 67% say "very likely, and 30% say its highly unlikely.. 3% dont know..Big Pie charts with 3% dont know.. NO!! YOU ALL DON'T fUKing KNOW..it should be a giant pizza pie of " i have no earthly idea!"

He Drinks orange juice and vodka through a straw as he talks ... he's brilliant, although sometimes very hit and miss.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Charlie Brooker is a legend.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I love Charlie Booker and the MGs. Green Onions was one of the first things I learned to play on the organ!

Actually, you might want to ammed your title OP, Charlie Booker is not the media personality you're looking for.

As for Charlie Brooker, long time fan since the days of TV Go Home.
Although Nathan Barley was a serious disappointment considering who else was involved too and his Guardian column seems to go down hill in quality the more popular it appears to get.

I think Brooker appeared on another thread on here recently, regarding a segment where he takes British television to an American focus group.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

WOW i cant beleive i didnt notice that typo in my thread title... thanks for pointing it out.

I did search ats for charlie brooker threads, but all i could find were, like you mentioned, some references to some particular peice of work he'd done. I started this thread however with the intention of introducing ats to his newswipe series. In which he even talks about conspiracy related perspectives of current affairs, like in the above video where he mentions hugo chavez's accusations against america, when he claiming the Haiti earthquake was due to a new "earthquake weapon" being tested by the US military.
Making him the only person ive seen on TV to give airtime to such alternative views, so i thought ATS - being a conspiracy related discussion forum - would be interested in him. hence this thread.

Peace & respect my fellow brooker fan.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DizzyDayDream
reply to post by Merriman Weir

WOW i cant beleive i didnt notice that typo in my thread title... thanks for pointing it out.

I felt bad about pointing it out, sorry. Normally, I'm not a grammar or spelling Nazi; ultimately, if the message can be understood then it shouldn't be that much of an issue, particularly on the internet. Thread titles are something else though. Sorry.

I did search ats for charlie brooker threads, but all i could find were, like you mentioned, some references to some particular peice of work he'd done. I started this thread however with the intention of introducing ats to his newswipe series. In which he even talks about conspiracy related perspectives of current affairs, like in the above video where he mentions hugo chavez's accusations against america, when he claiming the Haiti earthquake was due to a new "earthquake weapon" being tested by the US military.
Making him the only person ive seen on TV to give airtime to such alternative views, so i thought ATS - being a conspiracy related discussion forum - would be interested in him. hence this thread.

Peace & respect my fellow brooker fan.

I've tried getting (UK) posters into Private Eye magazine several times in the past for similar reasons. To me, it should be 'required reading' for anyone interested in political scams and conspiracies. It's the only thing I'm grateful to my old grammar school for - finding Private Eye and Punch archives in the school library in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

top topics

join