It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.2 quake - Granada, Spain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
A 6.2 quake just hit at a estimated depth of 383 miles. The "record" is a Pacific quake of 450 miles depth, so a deep quake which is good news in the fact that although its a moderate size quake for this region. It wont cause much (if any) damage.

EDIT (Updated 11:32BST)

[edit on 11/4/10 by ROBL240]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

The earth moving around at that depth is definitely something to worry about IMO.

For that depth to be measured at the surface as a 6.2 means an enormous amount of energy was released, probably close to as much in Chile or Haiti, if not more. I would keep an eye on things because we just happen to be receiving a coronal mass ejection from the sun, so it is likely we will see more quakes today or tomorrow.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

I dont think it works like that but I could be wrong. They take all of that into consideration when they figure depth and magnitude out. The difference is how it is felt or the damage it does by being closer to the surface ( depending on the substrate).

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I saw the alert on FOX news and they said it will be damage im going to watch and see what they say

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Can anyone check what he P Wave from baja is?

Whatever is going on at the moment is very serious.

to get soemthing of that magnitude in a place not on a fault, at a depth of 600+KM is very very worrying.

The earth earth is definitely moving. and re balancing.

Its only April and already we have big big EQs and it is NOT just the media highlighting it!

make that 1500.

Could this be a start of seeing more activity on the Atlantic fault???

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Not to mention the 6.8 in the Solomons. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the times fortold.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I viewed on the USGS latest EQs page that there was another 6.1 magnitude quake that occured right before or after this one with its epicenter very close to the 6.2. It was taken down shortly after.

I've been in the habit of checking the USGS site frequently (maybe 25 times a day) since the Chilean quake and have noticed that there have been dozens of EQs being erased, it would seem, in the past 4 days.

Anyone else catch the 6.1 before it was taken down? And has anyone been witnessing the "erasing phenomenon?"

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Don't think we need to get religious about it. just that whatever is happening this year is an increased period of tectonic activity. Seems the quiet period we have had is now being following by a serious period of re-adjustment!

But we do not need people crying broken seals or sky trumpets!

it is simply that this is odd, and needs looking in to!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JotaPlata

Are you serious?

if this is true then you wnat to screen print everytime you go on

then you will have some serious hard evidence to back up what is just conjecture at the moment

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

to get soemthing of that magnitude in a place not on a fault, at a depth of 600+KM is very very worrying.

Well,it is located at the foot hills of the Sierra Nevada mountain range.They did not just appear there over night.There pretty much probably is a thrust fault where those mountains are.

Using Google I found this.

Microseismicity and tectonics in the Granada Basin (Spain)
Abstract

A microseismic experiment carried out in 1994 in the Granada Basin (Spain) permitted the precise recording of more than 80 local earthquakes. The dense distribution of the local network, with 40 to 50 instrumental records for each event, enabled us to have well-controlled hypocenters, and also 10 reliable focal mechanisms. The above observations are interpreted together with topographic data, neotectonics, and sub-surface information. Microtectonic observations in Sierra Elvira, Padul and Zafarraya gave a set of fault planes and striae, which were interpreted in terms of the recent regional stress tensor. The actual stress tensor obtained from the microseismic campaign data gives a regime in radial extension, with σ1 vertical and σ3 oriented NS to NNE. Microtectonic information is coherent with these orientations, but closer to 3-axial extension. A set of 64 mechanisms obtained from the permanent Andalusian network favors a NS orientation for σ3. This results are interpreted in terms of the general model implying the lateral ejection of the Betic ranges towards the Atlantic.

And I also found this.

Earthquake Risk To Granada, Spain
Jan. 20,2010
With the catastrophic impact of the recent Haiti earthquake, Francisco Vidal, researcher from the Andalusian Institute of Geophysics, has released information on the effects of a similar occurrence in Granada, Spain which lies on a fault line of the earth’s crust.

It sounds to me the people who live there knows there is a risk.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg

No need for alarm the area the quake hit in Spain has had many before

neic.usgs.gov...

Originally posted by JakiusFoggIts only April and already we have big big EQs and it is NOT just the media highlighting it!

Nothing out of the ordinary to worry about

we're 1/3 through the year and we have 1/3 the average quakes

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1a70cd15bb81.jpg[/atsimg]

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Don't think

Ok, Can we count on you to let us know when we should get religious.
Cause I was just calling em as I see em. Click the link. Just the facts.
you should check out Isaiah 30 = 25 26. That should blow your mind.
just click the link.

Discotech

Nothing out of the ordinary to worry about

Does your chart include the ones they've erased?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Yep, I'm serious.

I would point you to this discussion on GLP (low-brow, I know) where more than one person mention they saw two distinct quakes near Granada. They provide the link to USGS site which is now, of course, only showing the one 6.2 magnitude.

www.godlikeproductions.com...

In addition, they discuss in this thread how a 5.1 quake near Baja was pulled down within hours of being posted-members at GLP even claim to have felt it in San Diego.

www.godlikeproductions.com...

[edit on 11-4-2010 by JotaPlata]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

i dont see "randyvs" comments as anywhere near religious. its all cycles and mathematics, imho.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Does your chart include the ones they've erased?

What quakes have been erased ?

When a quake gets its magnitude correctly identified if it was originally misidentified then that entry is erased a new one with correct magnitude is put up, no quakes are getting erased, just the entries with incorrect magnitudes!

There's no conspiracy going on at USGS and if you think there is then you may as well not believe any quake report from that site and just make up your own numbers and live in a fantasy world

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JotaPlata

That's because the quakes data gets verified and sometimes the monitors can be wrong. You can get a quake listed 2 times but it was really 1 felt by different web recorders.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
USGS don't just revise quakes down or remove them for their own ends - there's no conspiracy - just good housekeeping.

In fact, USGS have now revised the Spain quake upwards to 6.3.

This area has had lots of previous events - it's not out of the ordinary - USGS doesn't report quakes in Spain that are under 4.5, hence why it doesn't show on their reports very often.

Magnitude 6.3
Date-Time

* Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 22:08:10 UTC
* Monday, April 12, 2010 at 12:08:10 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 37.078°N, 3.470°W
Depth 616.7 km (383.2 miles) set by location program
Region SPAIN
Distances 25 km (15 miles) SE of Granada, Spain
95 km (60 miles) ENE of Malaga, Spain
95 km (60 miles) WNW of Almeria, Spain
370 km (230 miles) S of MADRID, Spain

[edit on 11-4-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

would point you to this discussion on GLP (low-brow, I know) where more than one person mention they saw two distinct quakes near Granada. They provide the link to USGS site which is now, of course, only showing the one 6.2 magnitude.
reply to post by Discotech

What he said.

Orang

i dont see "randyvs" comments as anywhere near religious. its all cycles and mathematics, imho.

Thank you!

Moorfnz

USGS don't just revise quakes down or remove them for their own ends - there's no conspiracy - just good housekeeping.

I'm sure this is much more likely the case. I don't really believe USGS would pull any kind of crap like that.
Poorly timed joke sorry.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

The quakes were the same quake just in the process of being altered ?

One goes up but it's magnitude is incorrect
New one with correct magnitude goes up
Old one remains whilst new one is also up
Old one is deleted

That's how I see it anyway, if people want to make out that USGS is covering up earthquakes then that is their own dumb paranoid fault. I guess we'll only know if there was 2 quakes from someone living in the area

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

One goes up but it's magnitude is incorrect

Yeah I concur. I was about to make reference to the thread questioning
the integrity of USGS. Then jotaplata posted and things got a little twisted.
Apologies all around.

Did you have a look at the link I provided?

The timing, which is everything, is uncanney. The math. A solar flare is far more likely than this planet, or brown dwarf that has everyone distracted and divided. Most scientists do believe the sun is what is responsible for the recent jump in siezmic activity. Or what seems to be a jump. Correct?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join