It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silva makes mockery of UFC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I found this story too interesting to show. I am not a big fan of the UFC, I don't like fighting, nor do I watch any fighting. But this is the first time that I ever heard from a fighter that joined the UFC that is mocking the sport that he does for a living. I'm curious as to what happened to him? I mean there are better ways to get out of the sport and not fight anymore. Maybe thinks now that fighting is maybe... Pointless.. Maybe he's waking up to the fact that fighting in general is probably childish and immature, and angry and probably disgusted that some people enjoy watching these fights.

It's exactly like watching a schoolyard fight breakout. Cheering and laughing at somebody who is getting beaten up to a pulp. What the hell is wrong with people? The only execption is that they get paid to beat each other up, and inflict bodily harm on one another. Anyways he got carried away a bit too far, by going to crazy, it seems like.

sports.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AjSzsJxb35jTZzhaMUi_.cdXEo14?slug=ki-ufcsilva041010

Moderators can you please move this to the "Alternative Personalities." Thankyou.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Shrukin89]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Interesting I never expected to see this here. I saw the fights I am an MMA fan and long time practitioner. Silva is just an arrogant idiot. It is hard to find someone in his weight class who can give him any competition so he chose to try and make his opponent look like a fool. Instead he made himself the fool. He has done it before and fans have had enough.

Professional MMA is a chess game and not a testosterone measuring contest as some think. it is a way to measure skill while minimizing chances of injury (rules) it is relatively safe these days as compared to the days of little or no rules.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I actually liked him before I saw that. His swat that knocked out Forrest Griffin was awesome. Last night, Silva was a twit who deserved to get knocked out.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What did silva do? I saw something on the fight network that White was mocking him, but i do not know what it was over??

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

He just danced around the octagon, completely mocking his opponent and offering his chin. I do think his opponent was not good enough, but at least put on a performance for the fans! I would have been ticked if I paid 50 bucks to watch that

edit: this is a decent article describing what happened
bleacherreport.com...

[edit on 11-4-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
GSP should move up a weight class and train hard. Give Silva a run for his money. Now that would be a fight.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

That or Silva should be forced to give up his belt and move up. Either one would make me happy, though GSP would be better. That fight would be awesome.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Silva was probably gassed by round 3+.

If you watched the fight, you noticed that he did really well for the first 3 round --- then he sort of.. well, stopped.

He just refused to engage.

I think he was going for a point victory -- which he eventually got.

The whole thing was a little disappointing -- as somebody asked in the post fight press conf. "If Silva is so superior, why didn't he simply knock out Maia?"

The man who asked that has a great point. I think Silva was going for a point victory -- which means, punch his opponent in the face for 15 minutes, until he has 30 of 50 points, and after that, nothing matters, because even if he loses the next 2 rounds (point wise) he still wins.

So, for the championship rounds (rounds 4+5), he just avoided any danger and ran away from his opponent. Cause he knew he already won the first 3 rounds, and 3 of 5 is good enough for the "w."

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Kaytagg]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Since this is not the first time Silva has done this, I really think he deserves to be stripped of the belt. He makes a complete mockery of the sport. Boy was Dana White mad

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
GSP should move up a weight class and train hard. Give Silva a run for his money. Now that would be a fight.

yup- now that would be a fight
not out of the realm of possibilty

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
UFC and all those stupid fighting rings, do just what they're supposed to do. Dumb. People. Down. Turn them into meathead steroid jockeys who can't recite their own national anthem.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The ref should have followed through on his thread to deduct a point from Silva.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Actually, this sort of IS the first time he's done this. Go back and watch his other fights -- he's never avoided engagement on the feet like he did last night. Although he has avoided engagement on the ground... That's a completely different story though, imo.

I think he was, basically, playing smart; he didn't do anything illegal, sooo.. So what? What do you do about it? I don't know.. it made for kind of a boring fight, though.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DocEmrick

So with that thinking, the gladiators, the greeks, the cambodians, Thai's, Chinese, Japanese, etc, throughtout the ages have been "dumbing down" their populations. Blood sport is as old as man. Is TV made to dumb us down- YUP. Been a fan of the UFC since #1, I see nothing dumb about two men in a fight for what amounts to their life(career). I hear American Idol is a cool show.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

I was referring to his showing off and refusing to fight. UFC 97 comes to mind, though that was not nearly as bad as this one.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Shrukin89

Hello,
Your link didn't work. Try this one...www.mmanews.com...

I have a good friend that is an MMA fighter, but not in the UFC. I used-to train/spar with him, but I got tired of getting my a** handed to me.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Oh, yea he always sort of shows off, it seems..

He's never just run away from his opponent, before.. That was new, and really, really, stupid. He won the fight, point wise, but ... I mean, he refused to fight. What more can you say? I've seen that in boxing, too, and it's the last thing anybody wants to see.

He came to fight, so fight..

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Just read an article on the UFC site; Silva said he was surprised by some of Maia's punches. After reading that, I am starting to think Silva was not showing off; he was scared.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Wow are you guys really complaining about this?

First of all, it's a sport, if you stress over it you need to invest more emotionally in the REAL WORLD.

Second of all, it's not fencing, and he doesn't have to respect anybody.

Third, don't be so silly as to call him a BULLY, when he's fighting somebody that AGREED to fight him, substitute or not.

That is a man stepping in to take silva's head off, Silva doesn't have to respect anybody.

The top 1% doesn't have to respect the bottom 99%.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I think he was gassed. SOMETHING was definitely wrong with him.. only silva knows what that is, though.

He's avoided going to the ground, in the past.. that's one thing, but to run away from a stand up bout -- that's ridiculous.

Hope he does better next time... Such a shame, he and BJ were two of my favorite fighters in MMA. (GSP is in there too, of course
)

I'm a cliche MMA fan, I guess

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join