It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ahmadinejad wants millions to quit Tehran over quake fears

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Ahmadinejad wants millions to quit Tehran over quake fears

news.yahoo.com

Sun Apr 11, 9:00 am ET

TEHRAN (AFP) – At least five million Tehran residents need to relocate elsewhere because Iran's capital sits on several fault lines and is threatened by earthquakes, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Sunday.

"We cannot order people to evacuate the city... but provisions have to be made. At least five million should leave Tehran so it is less crowded and more manageable in case of an incident," Mehr news agency quoted him as saying.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Earthquake? - Never heard any government saying anything like this before! - "Leave the city, because earthquake maybe come..."

In my eyes this is a warning - Incident like earthquake is most propable if Israel/USA strikes there soon. This sounds like a "code" warning given to all officials about the real threat of war.

Think what it does to realestate prices if 5 million is leaving their homes - business, shops, factories - all elements of urban city is devastated there... Sound like a sick joke, but I am afraid its not.

This is interesting, but also most freightening. Is the war imminent - I quess so.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Wow, I've never seen or heard of anything like this before.

Is he giving a code out to his Military that something is very closely on the horizon?

Are Iran going to attack Israel and are expecting to be hit back hard?

Maybe the US are going to have a play with Haarp again?

There is no way he could know if an Earthquake is coming unless he has a very highly polished / accurate crystal ball!

That's just so wierd, what would the citizens of Washington do if Obama popped up on prime time CNN and said this?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
5 Million?

Trying to reduce casualties in the conflict I assume. Perhaps they know that their enemies will make a straight line for Tehran?

It could be just good science, I don't know. I certainly hope it's just some smart thinking on the part of the Iranians, they did invent chess after all.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Like I said in another thread, the signals of upcoming war in Iran are now so obvious. Perhaps Ahmadinejad is afraid the opening salvo of the invasion will be a HAARP attack?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The only event on a similar scale in history that I know of was Britain's Operation Pied Piper and the evacuation of nearly 3,000,000 in the first 4 days of September 1939..

Can't help but feel a similar fear is driving this one, fear of bombs..

[edit on 11/4/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I think its more like "AT least 5 million must leave Tehran so when the US drops a nuclear bomb, 5 million will be saved"

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Also would reduce greatly the risks of massive protests and revolution, smaller crowds are easier to control.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpcrafter
Like I said in another thread, the signals of upcoming war in Iran are now so obvious. Perhaps Ahmadinejad is afraid the opening salvo of the invasion will be a HAARP attack?

You can't move 5 million people overnight, where would they live ???

There's more to this that's for sure and you can read a number of senarios into it.

My opinion, Amadinnerjacket is a lunatic...period

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Senz20
I think its more like "AT least 5 million must leave Tehran so when the US drops a nuclear bomb, 5 million will be saved"

The US won't drop a Nuke on Iran.

The world would never allow such a thing and people just aren't that stupid. They aren't going to ruin the planet for themselves, they just want most of us off of it.

If anybody is to fear in regards to using nuclear weapons, look no further than Israel. They've stated on numerous occasions they would be happy to turn Tehran into a glass crater.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Maybe he's actually taking the initiative to save some of his people. Unlike here in the west where we wait for earthquakes to happen, leaving thousands or hundreds of thousands dead, and then after almost everyones dead the survivors rebuild on the same spot.

Sort of like people who live in "tornado ally" in America, why doesn't anyone tell them they should probably move along? Or San Fransisco? The "big one" in SF is all but a certainty and will kill countless thousands.

If I were there, I'd move, maybe not tomorrow, but I'd start looking.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
This is pretty old news. I remember reading months ago that Iran was planning on constructing an entirely new capital away from earthquake zones, so Ahmadinejad may still be talking about it, but it's not new.

A quick Google search shows the initial news is from November 2009.

www.guardian.co.uk...

If Washington DC was on a fault line, I'd bet a lot of people would clamor for it to be moved, calling it irresponsible to have our nation's leaders all sitting in an area where they could be killed at once. That's all they're doing in Iran.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by downunderET

Originally posted by warpcrafter

You can't move 5 million people overnight, where would they live ???

There's more to this that's for sure and you can read a number of senarios into it.

My opinion, Amadinnerjacket is a lunatic...period

Britain moved 3,000,000 in 4 days with low tech in 1939... not quite overnight,

but it is possible to move 5,000,000 in a few days..

[edit on 11/4/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus: If I were there, I'd move, maybe not tomorrow, but I'd start looking.

Perhaps you need to start packing as well.

There are natural disasters everywhere, how easy is it to say that others should move.

---

It could really go a few ways. He could be fearing a coup, whether internally or externally stimulated. There is always the preparation of war, wouldn't that mess with a surrounding rogue warrior nation. Or he could just be giving a crap about his people. He is not sending everyone out, just the number that apparently would be more than what the government could handle in such a situation.

Only time will tell I guess.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Originally posted by Senz20

The US won't drop a Nuke on Iran.

The world would never allow such a thing and people just aren't that stupid. They aren't going to ruin the planet for themselves, they just want most of us off of it.

If anybody is to fear in regards to using nuclear weapons, look no further than Israel. They've stated on numerous occasions they would be happy to turn Tehran into a glass crater.

~Keeper

Maybe somebody is threatening to attack EMP or HAARP???
And it will look like an earthquake!

Just a thouhgt!

Peace!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
According to Tehran Times he is proposing offering incentives for people to relocate from Tehran to villages. So he sounds pretty serious about this.

Ahmadinejad offers incentives to reduce Tehran’s population
Tehran Times City Desk

TEHRAN – President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced on Sunday that his administration plans to reduce the population of Tehran by offering various incentives.

The administration will grant loan, land and subsidy for those Tehranis who move to other cities, said Ahmadinejad in a meeting with the directors of the Islamic Revolution Housing Foundation.

He said the administration has drafted a comprehensive plan for the transfer of the population from Tehran province to other provinces, adding the details of the plan will be released later.

The metropolis of Tehran houses about 10 million people.

Earlier the president had urged Tehran citizens to move to other cities, saying the metropolis of Tehran, which sits on two major fault lines, is faced with the threat of massive earthquakes.

“Tehran is faced with issues such as heavy traffic congestion and air pollution which can be resolved, but how can earthquakes be prevented?”

He also asked if a major quake hits Tehran, how the crisis can be managed in this overpopulated city?

At least five million people should leave Tehran in order to reduce the population to a standard level, he added.

Ahmadinejad also highlighted the importance of developing rural areas, saying everyone who is ready to work in villages should be granted interest free loans, he asserted.

Elsewhere in his remarks, he expressed hope that once again people live in spacious houses.

Unfortunately, the unjust economic systems ruling the world have made people live in compact and crammed apartments, he noted.

SJ

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Star and Flag because the Govenator isnt telling Cauliflowerins to move outta Cali.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
Star and Flag because the Govenator isnt telling Cauliflowerins to move outta Cali.

Haha,that made my day.

Yeah, Arnold should be smarter. I wonder why he isn't...

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Hmm... would be a good way to move something about unnoticed. Whether it is a group of people or an item.

Say they want to go ahead and spread weapons and personnel in case of an invasion?

Just saying, and I have nothing but personal postulation about who or what it may be, but that's it. Just wanted to throw that bit in.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Not a bad thing for a leader to say and moving the capital is not unprecedented either, other countries have done it with varying degrees of success.

It is surely a good thing when a leader "cares" for his people?

You don't often get leaders in the west saying people should be moved for their own safety because of risks in the future, instead we get bungled attempts at rescue and rebuilding after the event with little thought put into how to prevent a simliar event happening.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join