It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't mess with the Whalers!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr. toddly
To say that the Sea Shepherd is a terrorist organization is a massive stretch. They attempt to block harpoons and get in the way of whaling operations. It is the whalers who respond by shooting harpoons and rifles at them and ramming and sinking their boats. So, who is the one using threats and intimidation here?

We are talking about the same anti whaling advocates that will throw chains down to stop up rotors and even destroy ship engines correct? I think we need an international treaty myself that stops whaling but these people have little regard for other peoples lives. Terrorists may be a stretch, but completely insane, I could make a case for that.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The first thing you learn in being a skipper of a boat.

The biggest ship has the right of way. Its international law of the sea.

This nutty anti whaling boat just learned that the hard way.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Sea shepard is a terrorist organisation that endangers the life of other people on the sea, wich as a seaman myself i find completely unacceptable.

They seem to think that whales are more intelligent than other animal and base their decission that all whales should be protected on feelings rather than facts.

Endangered whale species should be protected, as should any other endangered wildlife. But the species who are not endangered should be regulated.

In Norway whales eat 2/3 as much fish as the entire fishing fleet and there are alot of them. (Not all whales eat only krill, that would be the bluewhale).
So all logic says we should regulate, so we get maximum resources of both whale and fish.

And to the individual here who came with the fantastic comment that whales are smarter than humans..... Well, maybe a tad smarter than you, the bluewhales brain is the size of a walnut..... That would be just a bit smaller than a pigs.

Yeah, and they taste great too

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkurkNilsen

Sea shepard is a terrorist organisation that endangers the life of other people on the sea, wich as a seaman myself i find completely unacceptable.

They seem to think that whales are more intelligent than other animal and base their decission that all whales should be protected on feelings rather than facts.

Endangered whale species should be protected, as should any other endangered wildlife. But the species who are not endangered should be regulated.

In Norway whales eat 2/3 as much fish as the entire fishing fleet and there are alot of them. (Not all whales eat only krill, that would be the bluewhale).
So all logic says we should regulate, so we get maximum resources of both whale and fish.

And to the individual here who came with the fantastic comment that whales are smarter than humans..... Well, maybe a tad smarter than you, the bluewhales brain is the size of a walnut..... That would be just a bit smaller than a pigs.

Yeah, and they taste great too

I was going tp reply with a hearty "yer wrong" but thought I'd check first....good thing.

Here's wiki's take on the two suborders of cetacea:

Whale (origin Old English hƿæl) is the common name for various marine mammals of the order Cetacea..[2] The term whale is sometimes used to refer to all cetaceans, but more often it excludes dolphins and porpoises, which are also cetaceans[3] but belong to the suborder Odontoceti (toothed whales). This suborder also includes the sperm whale, killer whale, pilot whale, and beluga whale. The suborder Mysticeti (baleen whales), are filter feeders that feed on small organisms caught by straining seawater through a comblike structure found in the mouth called baleen. This suborder includes the blue whale, the humpback whale the bowhead whale and the minke whales. All Cetacea have forelimbs modified as fins, a tail with horizontal flukes, and nasal openings on top of the head.

As with any resource, proper management to sustain population levels is paramount. I do have my doubts, however, as I learn that tuna stocks are going the way of the codfish.

Jason

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hthjason

Maybe a bit off topic, but this year there has been alot of cod because of protection of their mating grounds for three years now. That's good protection of our resources, so we can harvest healthy, tasty food

But according to anti whaling groups, it seems whales should be protected indefinetly for some mystrious reason...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join