It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't mess with the Whalers!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Here's a video that any potential Greenpeace recruits might want to watch:

su.pr...

Holy Bluefin Batman! Was that Captain Hazelwood on the helm?

Can they get away with this on the high seas? I guess whomever has the biggest water cannon,eh.

If anybody has any idea if any of the crew were hurt or drowned I'd be interested in knowing. It looks like the lifejackets were all in the bow.

Jason

[edit on 11-4-2010 by hthjason]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hthjason

Good , im not a proponent of whaling, but the kind of eco terrorism the whale wars crew inflicts, should be met with force......

2nd line

[edit on 11-4-2010 by ManBehindTheMask]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Good , im not a proponent of whaling, but the kind of eco terrorism the whale wars crew inflicts, should be met with force......

2nd line

Yaaa...let's kill all the whales!! Eating all our krill like they are! They're the bullies of the sea and besides....their penis' make me quite randy.

Jason

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

LoL your reply made me laugh, its just my position that any sort of terrorism isnt acceptable, I think the crew of that show has pushed these guys a lot and eventually they kind of had it coming.

You dont force your ideas on someone through terrorism, there are other ways to go about it, my feeling is you get whatcha give!

Good post..........although, id REALLY like that boat, it was supersweet batman style ........

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The Sea Shepherd does not engage in terrorism; rather it is the whalers that do. The Sea Shepherd engages in sabotage against "illegal" whaling operations, enforcing international laws put into place by the International Whaling Commission. The boats that have been sunk by Sea Shepherd have all been illegal, pirate whaling vessels, and it has always been done without injury or loss of life.

Also, most non-pirate whaling vessels still engage in illegal whaling practices, such as whaling in established no-whaling sanctuaries, taking species that are off-limits, and taking more than their limits.

There is so much illegal whaling going on, environmentalists don't have the time or money to go after the legal whalers.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr. toddly
The Sea Shepherd does not engage in terrorism; rather it is the whalers that do.

HAHAHAHAH! How so, exactly?

The Sea Shepherd engages in sabotage against "illegal" whaling operations, enforcing international laws put into place by the International Whaling Commission.

What Whaling is being done illegally? Also, the IWC has no power to enforce any "laws" and in fact has created none. Methinks you don't really know what you're talking about.

The boats that have been sunk by Sea Shepherd have all been illegal, pirate whaling vessels, and it has always been done without injury or loss of life.

How are they "illegal"?

Also, most non-pirate whaling vessels still engage in illegal whaling practices, such as whaling in established no-whaling sanctuaries, taking species that are off-limits, and taking more than their limits.

If you're talking about rhe Southern Ocean and the "whale sanctuary" the Ozzies declared, then I am afraid it is little more than a line on a map.

While Oz has a claim to that part of Antartica the sanctuary sits in, they have no jurisdiction as no claims are recognised for the Southern Continent. It was merely a vote pleaser by the Oz Government so the green crowd would back them.

Whaling in this "sanctuary" is quite legal, morally questionable, but legal.

There is so much illegal whaling going on, environmentalists don't have the time or money to go after the legal whalers.

What is this "illegal whaling" you're on about? Whaling isn't illegal.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

2nd line

Since whales are more intelligent than humans this murder has to stop and I want to see everyone stopping this, permanently. This means we all need to stand behind those opposing the whalers.

I stand behind Sea Shepherd!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

How are whales more intelligent than humans?

If I was a whale, with my current "human" intelligence, I would not frollick around in front of a whaling ship with my family. In fact, I would attack said ship and sink it, I sure am capable being many feet long and weighing in at many tons.

Now, if what you say is right and they are more intelligent, then why no response from them? Why the frollicking? The Whales, if they were that intelligent, would know a whaling ship from miles away (sound) and would never be found.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

So then if you stand behind them you support terrorism, is that what im hearing?

I suppose then that according to you its ok to use this sort of violence and retaliation for ANY cause that one believes in? Or is it JUST ok for this one?

Then i suppose anyone with any view of anything that is different from another, should use violence or threaten violence to meet that goal?

Its this sort of thinking that has lead the world where it is today, no amount of violence is acceptable just to get your point across.

IMHO the only time violence is justified, is if physical injury or harm is imminent, or threatened first.

Just FYI

S: (n) terrorism, act of terrorism, terrorist act (the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear)

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I on one hand hate whaling and on the other hate douche bad Greenpeace so was really torn by this, in the end I laughed when they hit them right in the face with the hose after destroying their boat, however wished that their ship hit an iceberg and they all drowned in freezing water.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
sorry but i have to post this

haha its all in good humor.

personally i think there are definitely better ways to go about this then violence.

what if people from India started attacking ranches in the US because of the shameless slaughter of cows?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
what if people from India started attacking ranches in the US because of the shameless slaughter of cows?

A very good point Alaskan Man.

While I personally don't like this whaling at all, the Japanese are doing it only to produce food.

Morally it is no different to farming chicken, pork, beef, or tuna.

While people get upset seeing whales slaughtered and butchered, I bet they would be equally upset in a cattle slaughterhouse.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
That's great to see pirates getting theirs. I've been baffled by this international double standard when it comes to piracy. Some pirates are okay, but others should be tried? Some pirates are so okay they get their own series on Discovery?

Imagine, if you will, a Discovery series painting as heroes terrorists seeking to close down an abortion clinic. The country would be up in arms. However, you have a Discovery series painting as heroes pirates seeking to close down another nation's industry, and we applaud them. Hypocrites, we "Westerners" are...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Good , im not a proponent of whaling, but the kind of eco terrorism the whale wars crew inflicts, should be met with force..
Eco terrorist? Lets ask the whales (since they are the ones being killed) their opinion on who the "terrorist" is.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by junglejake

They are protecting whales not a cache of explosives and a fake deity.
Terrorists? Pirates? Or just people standing up for what is right against
a Corporation that is in it for the $$$$.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sadwolf
They are protecting whales not a cache of explosives and a fake deity.

A cache of explosives or a fake diety? That's the heart of Somali pirates?

Terrorists are not all Muslim, and they're not all protecting weapon stores. Terrorism, by definition, is creating terror amongst a people to prevent them from doing something. In this case, we have Pirate Eco Terrorists seeking to further their agenda of protecting a certain species from another species through terror and intimidation. Would you be supporting a terror campaign against lions to protect zebra and gazelle? What about a terror campaign against gazelle to protect grass? Every time a gazelle gets near grass, you electrocute it, until the herd knows not to eat grass. Then they all die out, but, you know, you protected the grass.

What makes whales better than dolphins? Than tuna? Than cows? Why stalk and intimidate their predators instead of other animals' predators?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sadwolf

it doesnt matter what your OPINION is, its still terrorism.
whether you make an acception for them or not, is your own personal decision. That doesnt make it any less terrorism, just because they arent screaming allah akbhar doesnt mean its not terrorism.......

Seriously people use your thinker here!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Hey, Proud Englishman guy,

Okay, technically you're right; the International Whaling Commission is a voluntary organization with no enforcement mechanisms. Essentially, it is a toothless organization, but Japan is a member, and Japan routinely violates the whaling quotas set by the IWC.

The question of legality extending beyond national borders can often be a tricky matter, since laws --until we get the New World Order-- tend to be passed by nations.

But then, it could be said that anything that happens on the high seas is not "illegal", and in fact, this is a claim that Japanese whalers make. But that would make Sea Shepherd's attempts to intervene against whaling operations also not "illegal."

With no real enforcement outside of national coastal waters, anarchy essentially reigns supreme on the high seas.

www.seashepherd.org...

"The Japanese whaling fleet set out for the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary with a permit issued by the Japanese government to kill 935 protected Minke whales, 50 endangered fin whales and 50 endangered humpback whales. Their objective was to kill 1035 whales in total."

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
To say that the Sea Shepherd is a terrorist organization is a massive stretch. They attempt to block harpoons and get in the way of whaling operations. It is the whalers who respond by shooting harpoons and rifles at them and ramming and sinking their boats. So, who is the one using threats and intimidation here?

In fact, Japan and many other nations consider the oceans to be no-man's-land where they can do anything they want. They can violate international fishing quotas using driftnets that just keep killing for decades. They don't care about how they devastate the oceans, because it doesn't belong to them. So what the heck. They just rape and plunder and pillage the ocean.

So it seems odd to refer to those who are attempting to prevent the raping and plundering as being pirates, when it is precisely this type of raping and plundering behavior they are trying to curtail.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow

Originally posted by Alaskan Man

A very good point Alaskan Man.

While I personally don't like this whaling at all, the Japanese are doing it only to produce food.

Morally it is no different to farming chicken, pork, beef, or tuna.

While people get upset seeing whales slaughtered and butchered, I bet they would be equally upset in a cattle slaughterhouse.

It is very different than farming cattle, chicken, and pork. These food animals are raised on farms. They are not free roaming. If the whales were raised on Japanese farms and not chased all over the ocean, then it WOULD be the same.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join