It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim nurses CAN cover up... but Christian colleagues can't wear crucifixes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
I don't get why a doctor can't wear sleeves, unless they are a surgeon, then it is a safety concern, but in a surgeon situation a metallic necklace also is, which could fall in a cut and infect someone.

If you don't "get" it, then you obviously didn't read the article or any of the posts before Paralax began spouting his left wing drivel....

It's NHS guidlines to control superbug infection. No long sleeves and you are to wash with anti-bac gel up to the elbow. This is for all clinical staff, not just surgeons.

Except muslims, it seems....

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
reply to post by stumason

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
And as for the EDL not causing trouble or being nasty....

Lovely individuals that get on well with the Police aren't they? Racist, ignorant, violent scum.

Parallex.

But you seem to think that THIS was acceptable...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Jog on mate and take your one sided bleating elsewhere. We supposedly live in a multi-cultural society,not a Muslim state.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

I don't get why a doctor can't wear sleeves, unless they are a surgeon, then it is a safety concern, but in a surgeon situation a metallic necklace also is, which could fall in a cut and infect someone.

If you don't "get" it, then you obviously didn't read the article or any of the posts before Paralax began spouting his left wing drivel....

It's NHS guidlines to control superbug infection. No long sleeves and you are to wash with anti-bac gel up to the elbow. This is for all clinical staff, not just surgeons.

What are the chances you will get a superbug from a long sleeve or a short sleeve? Probably not much of a difference.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

What are the chances you will get a superbug from a long sleeve or a short sleeve? Probably not much of a difference.

Very high... have you even been in a UK hospital??? Its a REAL issue here...
safeguards are safeguards for a reason... It takes NOTHING to spread bugs... If your mom was in hospital would you let anyone near her who did not adhere to regulations when the threat of anti bacterial drugs effectiveness is the highest?

Ever???

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Significant enough for the NHS to issue the guidelines, perhaps?

A garment is far more likely to harbour liquids (bodily and otherwise) thereby promoting the growth of bacteria.

A bare arm, washed regularly in anti bac gel, will not pose anywhere near the infection risk.

Simples....

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Labour have killed the Hospitals
They use to have good standerds untill they changed everything
now they are ridden with crap

the amount of people that died for going in with minor problems
are jokes thanks to how hospitals are run

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I do believe Nationalism is only a few small steps away from Racism but I certainly understand that there are degrees of both.
reply to post by Phlynx

Dude, people are getting superbugs just by turning up for operations.... We have perfectly healthy people going in for a routine op then dying because of hospital bugs...
We have soldiers being stabilized then being bought home to die of hospital bugs....

DO THE FREAKIN MATH!!!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

It has to be said though that all Western medicine is grappling with the prospect of "superbugs, ironically because they were "too clean". This led to an environment where bugs would grow resistant to standard cleaning over time, giving rise to the "superbugs".

Although it is worth noting that NHS cleaning standards have slipped over the past several years, allowing not only the superbugs to spread mercilessly but also allowing the more common ones to gain a foothold.

This is a direct result of Government policy where they took away the power from Nurses to maintain hygiene and gave it to companies employing low-wage staff who where either too happy to cut corners or were inadequately trained to not know any better.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

As a previous poster stated... Those that think they are getting an RGN are getting kids with no clue... Another cynical example of this government trying to save money and take people off the dole to be killed by a preventable bug.... Its mass murder.....

but like Dr David Kelly all we will get is nothing though we all know huh??

Time for something new.... A British revolution......

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Stop running, there is no where you can run to.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I don't understand why these groups move to socialized countries and then insist on sticking to old traditions. Talk about selfish. You want to keep your culture yet your unhappy with your homeland enough to move.

Reminds me of all the snowbirds who have ruined teh Southwest ecology by building golf courses and putting in lawns all over the place. Why didn't they just move to Florida?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Florida wouldn't have them.. You have your own issues... Our issues are years of misstatement, years of political correctness.... We have staff that do NOT speak a word of English... From GP's downwards... We have registrared nurses being usurped by staff that cost a fraction but not trained.... hence why wards are f**ked...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Explanation: It's not about wearing a cross that they have the problem with... Here is why...

It has pointed metal edges and its on a chain which dangles! This is clearly a problem when bending over and attending to patients in a medical situation!

If the nurse in question REALLY has to openly display her faith then I recommend that she aquires a cross lapel pin, or even better a nurses fob watch that already has a cross emblazioned on it already! Failing that, I believe a printed or sewed on fabric cross would be acceptable!

Nurse fob watch with emblazioned cross [Source]

[Note: Sorry. I could not get the .jpg to link in isolation??? I ran smack bang into the Great Firewall of China!
]

2nd example of Nurses fob watch with emblazioned cross [ .jpg source]

Lapel pin cross [ .jpg source]

Now lets have a look at what can be done about the modest muslim nurses long sleeves medical cross contamination issue...

I note that western cultured WW1 nurses were quite modest in their uniform and I also note that they had solved that problem ages ago!

Its called a detachable oversleeve!
Which can be easily put on and off and can be recycled by washing! [or even using other modern methods]

Here is my evidence that meets the burden of proof required for that!

WW1 Nurses uniform [ .jpg source]

And here is a youtube vid showing several large groups of WW1 Nurses, many wearing both a printed or sewed on fabric cross AND detachable oversleeves!

The Rose Of No Man's Land Sung By Henry Burr [youtube vid source]

Both modesty and the public display of ones faith can be TOTALLY accomodated and without endangering the patient!

Personal Disclosure: OMFG! 5 pages of bitching instead of fixing by my fellow ATS members! WTFH???

Please raise your posting standards OK!

P.S. The Sikh bangle issue is a non-issue as many nurses wear a Wrist watch instead of a fob and it is not a problem!

Here is my proof...

Questions about nursing gear [allnurses.com]

Betty Boop Nurses SCRUB watch (3rd item from top) [goodiesfornurses.co.uk]

Day Dream Sequence to follow........."Hmmm I seem to remember a certain ATS members signature about getting your facts straight before you distort them!"

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Its not just that.. I have friends who have lost limbs because of IED's who have been used as PR tools for the various political parties to be forgotten too.. Their mental health is shot because the country who they gave their very arms and legs for do not care... Some have gone in for routine treatment and have contracted those super bugs that have killed or forced prolonged physical mending.... The psychological has been left to one side... They are forced to wait in line for so called pro's who have not even seen 1 minuet of combat.. How can they relate???

Its ALL a joke..

Ifeel sorry for the REAL nurses who have to run themselves ragged to treat patients... Something needs to be done no??

How come most Brits are more bothered about soccer games than real life?? Something needs to change...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I never understood why christians wear icons like crosses, especially if they profess to be adhering to biblical standards. Clearly, their bible says they are not to have or use graven images. Isaiah clearly explains what an idol is, in the story about the woodcarver making an image to identify the god one worships. The passage goes on to explain that although these icons may be used to visibly distinguish certain groups according to their gods, that there is no divine power. The splinters of the same piece of wood go into the fire for cooking the woodcarvers bread. There is nothing majic or supernatural about it.

And yet, many christians do believe their cross icons have the power to protect them. Just as those who wear saint medals believe some supernatural connection to the saint they patronize.

So, really, the question I would ask is "is it christian to wear graven images?"

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I must admit, my experience with the NHS is limited to Maternity and A&E, which to be honest have always been well staffed and well run. That said, one wonders how they can maintain such a good level of service in these dpeartments without compromising service elsewhere.

Hopefully, Cameron can sort the NHS as he has had first hand experience himself thorugh his late sons extensive illness. One can hope, anyway.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

It has to be said though that all Western medicine is grappling with the prospect of "superbugs, ironically because they were "too clean". This led to an environment where bugs would grow resistant to standard cleaning over time, giving rise to the "superbugs".

Although it is worth noting that NHS cleaning standards have slipped over the past several years, allowing not only the superbugs to spread mercilessly but also allowing the more common ones to gain a foothold.

This is a direct result of Government policy where they took away the power from Nurses to maintain hygiene and gave it to companies employing low-wage staff who where either too happy to cut corners or were inadequately trained to not know any better.

I believe the "superbug" is a hoax, it was nothing more than speculation from previous biologists, scientists, and those in the related profession. It makes sense that our defenses, if overused, would generate a strain resistant to them. But, if you believe this, why wouldn't the human body adapt as well? Why would our white blood cells be excluded from this adaptation? I don't believe that is the case.

I believe if a "superbug" is introduced to the world, it would be because of human engineering. At that point they could do it under the guise of a "superbug" because WE used too many anti-biotic / viral medicines over time. And those that are into the whole thing have their ticket out with a cure.

Maybe i'm a bit of a pessimist, but i'm hard pressed to believe a disease would wipe out a majority of mankind because of elements found in nature.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Artanis667
It makes sense that our defenses, if overused, would generate a strain resistant to them. But, if you believe this, why wouldn't the human body adapt as well? Why would our white blood cells be excluded from this adaptation? I don't believe that is the case.

For the exact reason you just said.

If you overuse disinfectants and the like, your not only making the germs more resistant, you are also weakening your immune system because you're not exposing your body to the normal barrage of day to day germs.

It is the same thing as having an overly clean home. This has been linked to the rise in Asthma and other allergies.

It isn't a hoax.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
reply to post by Parallex

I agree with you for a change.. However its not about race but religion and patient safety...

Emotive stuff......

It's not even about race or religion. It's about how the NHS and the British Government in general chose to bend or even break the rules simply to appease the minority and in doing so, put the British public at risk.

It's not the Muslims or any other demographic that is at fault here. If I were in their position, I would be trying to get anything I could out of the system too, but something needs to be done about this PC madness, otherwise there may be serious social consequences, which no-one wants(other than a few bigotted idots, but you get them anywhere).

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join