It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim nurses CAN cover up... but Christian colleagues can't wear crucifixes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

www.dailymail.co.uk

Muslim doctors and nurses are to be allowed for religious reasons to opt out of strict NHS dress codes introduced to prevent the spread of deadly hospital superbugs.
The Department of Health has announced that female Muslim staff will be permitted to cover their arms on hospital wards to preserve their modesty.
This is despite earlier guidance that all staff should be ‘bare below the elbow’ after long sleeves were blamed for spreading bacteria, leading to superbug deaths.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Thread title changed to reflect actual headline from news source.

[edit on 4/12/2010 by maria_stardust]

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 12/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
So Christians are not being discriminated against in the UK huh?

I think soo..

This story just proves it... They ban a nurse from wearing a cross , even though she had been wearing it for 30 years with no problems citing "health and safety" yet they do this for muslims even though it could potentially lead to more than a flippin health and safety issue for patients.. This really makes me spit!
I dont get why TPTB in this country are always bowing down to Islam.. This time at the expense of patients....

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 12/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
disgusting . muslim culture is ruining the UK. get out while you can.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Well, Yissa, just one question.

Have any corroborating sources? The daily mail is often hit-or-miss, and is rather famous for its anti-Islam sensationalist BS.

If true, this is indeed ridiculous. Somehow though, I get the feeling that the daily mail is once again working harder to sell papers than to provide information.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Your anti-semitism disgusts me... They are not "bowing down to Islam"...

reply to post by Ong Bak

Your anti-semitism disgusts me too... Muslim culture ruining the UK???

Racism is rampant here I see...

Magnum

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Google it.. There are hundreds of other sources..

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

As a Jew, how can I be anti semitic against myself?

This is not anti semitism... Its about double standards..

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

1. If Muslims can be "anti-semetic" then so can Jews...
2. It's funny how double standards apply only one way... Should this be the other way around, then the whole Jewish union in the world would be crying that they are being targeted for being Jews...

This is why I talk of anti-semitism... Against the other "forgotten" semites of the world...

Magnum

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Aside from your claims of anti-whatever-ism, in an attempt to detract from the story, do you have anything to say about the topic at all?

If these bare below the elbow rules do indeed stop/slow the spread of "superbugs", then how can this be allowed for "religious reasons". Surely the patient is paramount?

Mark my words, if I have to be treated by someone who is allowed to dress as they please with no regards to patient safety, then I will refuse and ask for another nurse/doctor. Couldn't care less if they were Islamic or Christian, white or blue.

If their own silly superstotions are going to place me or my family in harms way, then they can go and practice elsewhere.

I will be using the NHS in a short while too, as my missus is pregnant. I will make a point of this if I see it happening in my local Hospital. I'll let you all know how it turns out - never know, I might be in the Mail in July

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Not all muslims are semites.. Some are asian, american british, white, black, brown... Stop accusing racism when there is no racism here, just double standards... Islam is not a race but a religion... That card gets played too often to stifle debate.... It wont work here....

This is about Christians being marginalized and discriminated against... Its about patient safety being compromised for the sake of political correctness... Its clearly insane and divisive...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

The people in question will have to wear disposable plastic sleeves over their clothing. I don't agree with the policy. Just noting why they justified it.

As for this woman with the cross issue, she was offered the option of wearing it as a pin or embroidering it on her clothes. Obviously the symbol wasn't a problem, it was the way she was wearing it (as a necklace).

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Of course it's unfair... they should both be fired.

Maybe it's a trap, that's what'd I'd do, say it's OK to cover your arms and then use that to find all of the employees who have no regard for patient safety and fire them all.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

If that is the case, then why do Islamic medical staff get preferential treatment as opposed to any other staff?

Surely if it is ok for one group to wear sleeves and another is not allowed, that is discrimination?

Its just like a recent example at a University where Muslims are protesting because their University closed down a dedicated Muslim prayer room so they could open a multi-faith prayer facility to cater for all.

Now the Muslims are praying in the streets outside demanding the return of their own, private, dedicated facility to pray, regardless of anyone else or the costs it would incur to the University.

They simply do not wish to integrate but instead see themselves as something above and beyond the rest of us.

This causes more social division, you can't have one group singleling themselves out for special treatment and getting grumpy when they don't get their way.

EDIT: For poor grammar and spelling.....

[edit on 11/4/10 by stumason]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Whilst I am disgusted by religion of all forms, I do find this nazi-like Muslim-bashing to be very distasteful. I think Yissachar and others should try and discuss other things if they can't discuss Islam without being bigoted.

Parallex.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

Really, between this and the thread yesterday bashing a dead Muslim woman, I think we should have a front-page ATS thread "Why Muslims are teh evil!" so everyone can just get their hate out.

Personally, i think zombieoctopus pegged it right-Fire em both.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by antonia]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
"All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others."

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Its hard to be objective with things like this... So how do we proceed in an objective discussion about a group of people who single themselves out for special treatment? Do we keep quiet about it? Or do we speak up? But you speak up and get accused of hate

I dont hate Muslims... But I do hate legislation that gives special treatment to a minority religious culture that does not want to integrate and behave like they are in another country... I dont blame them though.. I blame the government for giving to much to them from the get go, then they take a mile after it....
Another instance is the ridiculous complaints of a mock mosque built for troop training on a firing range... It upsets their sensibilities apparently..
But this is about patient safety being compromised.. If I or my family end up in hospital I will not allow them to treat myself or family if they are not properly protected... If they put religion before patient safety then i will express my human right not to be treated by them...
But then again... I cant help but think that they, TPTB, do this on purpose to divide us too.....

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

As a Jew, how can I be anti semitic against myself?

This is not anti semitism... Its about double standards..

you could be a Jedi all we care,
only because some idiot decided only people of the jewish faith are semetic lol

Your Not semetic

as much as you want to be.

also on topic, if its true.
PC gone mad. health and hygene should never be put at risk, if someone has a issue, there is the door.

edit noticed this post

Not all muslims are semites.. Some are asian, american british, white, black, brown... Stop accusing racism when there is no racism here, just double standards... Islam is not a race but a religion... That card gets played too often to stifle debate.... It wont work here....

amin to that as it goes same with Jews, chritsians and the whole load of Nut jobs

[edit on 11-4-2010 by illusive man]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
LOL @ the dude calling the op an anti semite ... it baffles me how he came to that assumption!

on this actualy story, just more veiled attempts at racial divide in the uk... just another day for the tabliods really!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Not all muslims are semites.. Some are asian, american british, white, black, brown... Stop accusing racism when there is no racism here, just double standards... Islam is not a race but a religion...

Same goes for jews... they are not all semetic... Some are New-Yorkers, some are are from Los-Angeles, some are from Europe, and believe it or not there are Asian and African jews too... judaism is not a race either...

Its hard to be objective with things like this... So how do we proceed in an objective discussion about a group of people who single themselves out for special treatment? Do we keep quiet about it? Or do we speak up? But you speak up and get accused of hate

Just like the "chosen people of Israel" who cry every time someone says a fact about them committing war crimes and crimes against humanity...

I dont hate Muslims... But I do hate legislation that gives special treatment to a minority religious culture that does not want to integrate and behave like they are in another country... I dont blame them though.. I blame the government for giving to much to them from the get go, then they take a mile after it....
Another instance is the ridiculous complaints of a mock mosque built for troop training on a firing range... It upsets their sensibilities apparently..
[edit on 11-4-2010 by Yissachar1]

Seems to me that complaints of this sort are rampant in other groups as well :

Montreal gym, synagogue clash over attire

Montreal YMCA drops tinted windows after members protest

This goes both ways...

Magnum

[edit on 10/4/11 by Magnum007]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join