Why don't doctors recommend different types of cancer treatments, besides radiation?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Why don't doctors recommend different types of cancer treatments, besides radiation or chemo? From a lot of alternative types of cures I have seen on this site, why do doctors not recommend patients some of these alternative cures. If they still have cancer after radiation, is there any point in not trying?? I don’t see why they don’t try them. Is it because they do not know about them? I remember watching a show about miracles with cancer. One person got cancer I think it was leukemia, or lymphoma, forget what one. But they started meditation, and eating healthy, and they get acupuncture one a week now. And they are free of cancer. Why don't people try alternative cures?

Also if you want to answer this question instead, if anyone on ATS can post some links to alternative cancer treatments if they have the time would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
We do recommend different treatments. During my oncology rotation (about four years ago), radiation was actually the minority of treatment plans. Most involved some combination of chemotherapy, monitoring/adjusting vitamin and B12 levels through OTC supplments or B12 shots, as as well any supportive therapy (alternative or otherwise) that the patient felt made them feel better and healthier.

It's awfully silly of you to make such a blanket statement without having worked/been in this sort of situation.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

To answer your Q.

Simply because they are taught from a one sided perspective, linked by big pharma (£££$$$) college and course sponsorship. Only a few will dare step out of the main frame, because if they do recommend something alternative that is not in 'the official line' and it goes wrong, they face being stuck off. Some brave souls working in the main Gov streams will offer an 'off the record' suggestion, most will tow the line.

Cancer is very complex. It has a cause and effect that boils down to how much the individual actually wants to live, their genetic predisposition and environment. This holistic approach is essential to discover, for long term recovery and freedom from any dis-ease.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Velvet1

That's not even one bit true. We learned about alternative therapies throughout medical school. It is even a required portion of the USMLE (United Stated Medical Licensing Exam). We learn which have been shown to be effective, and which can be offered or used without harm. It is based entirely on scientific, medical research.

Maybe you should do a little research yourself before claiming all of our education is "paid for by pharma"?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Ok maybe not all doctors, i meant some. I meant more kinds of alternative treatments that are not popular in the medical community, like some that are posted on ATS.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull

Ok maybe not all doctors, i meant some. I meant more kinds of alternative treatments that are not popular in the medical community, like some that are posted on ATS.

You mean the alternative therapies that have no logic or science to support them? I've had patients ask me about those before, and I always tell them "if it doesn't make you feel worse, go for it". That is considered the medical standard response to alternative therapies, especially those that we know will have zero effect, positive or negative, on the patient.

Again, you seem to be making very vague claims about "some doctors" without any numbers or data. What's the point in doing this?

[edit on 4/11/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa
reply to post by Velvet1

That's not even one bit true. We learned about alternative therapies throughout medical school. It is even a required portion of the USMLE (United Stated Medical Licensing Exam). We learn which have been shown to be effective, and which can be offered or used without harm. It is based entirely on scientific, medical research.

Maybe you should do a little research yourself before claiming all of our education is "paid for by pharma"?

I could insult your opinion and snipe back at you for no good reason as well, but as I'm far older than you and far more experienced in UK and USA medical fields, suffice to say, you don't know what YOU are talking about, come back in 25 years, after you have fought every medical body collectively with other experts who really care... and then tell me same!

One of many protests current to the problem I raised in my original reply.

medicalconsumerism.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Velvet1

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa
reply to post by Velvet1

I could insult your opinion and snipe back at you for no good reason as well, but as I'm far older than you and far more experienced in UK and USA medical fields, suffice to say, you don't know what YOU are talking about, come back in 25 years, after you have fought every medical body collectively with other experts who really care... and then tell me same!

One of many protests current to the problem I raised in my original reply.

medicalconsumerism.blogspot.com...

So...no response to my point that the USMLE requires us to learn about alternative therapies, even those we wouldn't be prescribing? It's very interesting that you simply danced around the ONE point that invalidates your entire post.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Because I have seen people die of cancer and when I ask them why don’t they try alternative treatments, they said their doctor said it will not help that much because chemo and radiation are the best methods. Even though I have seen documentaries that people have survived cancer treatments with a more holistic approach. So to say doctors offer alternative treatment is also biased because I know doctors who do not believe in alternative treatments. Maybe I just have bad experiences with doctor’s lol.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Because I have seen people die of cancer and when I ask them why don’t they try alternative treatments, they said their doctor said it will not help that much because chemo and radiation are the best methods. Even though I have seen documentaries that people have survived cancer treatments with a more holistic approach. So to say doctors offer alternative treatment is also biased because I know doctors who do not believe in alternative treatments. Maybe I just have bad experiences with doctor’s lol.

Chemotherapy and radiation *are* the most effective therapies. If they weren't, we would see lower cancer 5-year survival rates in the United States than in countries like India where alternative therapies (like Ayurvedic medicine) are more common than chemotherapy and radiation.

Science and research is on the side of Western medicine. Many alternative therapies have been researched and shownto be ineffective. It makes no sense to me that people think the United States is the only place that has cancer. If cheap/free alternative therapies were effective, why do people die of cancer at such high rates in nations without widespread access to modern medicine? It's because they rely on folklore and alternative medicine.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Do you know how to debate an issue without sniping? Be passionate about your opinions, but don't resort to aggression, especially without provocation. Note: another's opinion is never provocation!

I answered the OP from my experience and perspective, I skipped nothing.

If you are being taught genuine researched alternatives in your college (?) then you don't need to join any of the protest groups currently whose professors are often on BIG pharma salaries/incentives, alongside their tutoring fees...as in the Harvard protest this year in the link I provided.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I agree with you 100% on there no doubt. But I am saying when there is documented proof of someone getting cured from a deadly cancer by changing there life style embracing meditation and acupuncture shouldn’t there be more research involved? Unless the TV show was lying, that has happened before.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Do you know how to debate an issue without sniping? Be passionate about your opinions, but don't resort to aggression, especially without provocation. Note: another's opinion is never provocation!

If you are being taught genuine researched alternatives in your college (?) then you don't need to join any of the protest groups currently whose professors are often on BIG pharma salaries/incentives, alongside their tutoring fees...as in the Harvard protest this year in the link I provided.

(1) You claimed that medical schools do not teach alternative therapies because they are paid by pharma.

(2) I explained that the USMLE, which ALL DOCTORS ARE REQUIRED TO PASS, includes alternative therapies, which have to be included in every school's curriculum in order to maintain a passing USMLE rate.

(3) You, in turn, provide information about a Harvard protest about ONE professor who was violating the institutions own transparency guidelines.

Do you see now why I think your posts are illogical? I presented a concrete answer to your claim, and you. rather than responding to my answer, went off on a tangent about a single professor at one medical school, as if that invalidates all medical schools everywhere.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Link to full article for anyone interested...one of MANY similar protests globally from those who like to think outside the box!

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Alternative Cancer Treatments Home Page (the Cancer Tutor Website). This is one site I have looked at it is interesting.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I agree with you 100% on there no doubt. But I am saying when there is documented proof of someone getting cured from a deadly cancer by changing there life style embracing meditation and acupuncture shouldn’t there be more research involved? Unless the TV show was lying, that has happened before.

All of these (acupuncture, meditation, and diet) have been research many, many times in relation to cancer. The only one of the three that improved outcome (but did NOT cure cancer) was a healthier diet, obviously. Here are some studies you can look over for more information:

Chinese Medicine is Complementary, Not Alternative

Acupuncture Promising for Pain-Relief, Not Cancer Cure

Complementary and Alternative Therapies Often Integrated Into Cancer Therapies

link   
reply to post by chorizo4

Can you please post a link if that is ok?

link   
Double post.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Maddogkull]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Velvet1

So...no response, then?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Thank you, for the info