It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keeping track of 7 or above Magnitude Earthquakes for this year.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

27-MAY-2010 17:14:48 -13.71 166.51 7.2 36.1 VANUATU ISLANDS

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
There will no doubt be other maginitude readings and some may even pass below the 7 mark, but that is journalism and the information age for you, maybe these extra high readings are just here to get people alerted for the greater good in terms of making people more aware.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
www.breakingnewsonline.net...

Breaking News: A powerful earthquake, measuring 7.7 on the Richter Scale hit Nicobar Islands yesterday. Several other quakes were also reported from the Indian Ocean after that.

No casualties were reported from the series of quakes, as they occurred underwater. The epicenter of the quake was located at 157 kms west of Great Nicobar near Misha Island.

Tremors were felt in Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Orissa, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal. A tsunami alert was issued earlier, but withdrawn later.

Magnitude 7.5
Date-Time Saturday, June 12, 2010 at 19:26:50 UTC
Sunday, June 13, 2010 at 01:26:50 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 7.748°N, 91.938°E
Depth 35 km (21.7 miles) set by location program
Region NICOBAR ISLANDS, INDIA REGION
Distances 155 km (95 miles) W of Mohean, Nicobar Islands, India
440 km (275 miles) SSW of Port Blair, Andaman Islands, India
1155 km (710 miles) SW of BANGKOK, Thailand
2775 km (1720 miles) SE of NEW DELHI, Delhi, India

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 6.4 km (4.0 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST=110, Nph=110, Dmin=619.7 km, Rmss=1.18 sec, Gp= 58°,
M-type=centroid moment magnitude (Mw), Version=8
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010xkbv

Text

Maybe a mountain will fall into the sea and crack open some oil and turn the sea to blood red, like the one in America, the oil is think red blood colour.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Hi I post on the other Thread Quake Watch 2010 earthquakes but I'm trying to keep my fingers off the keyboard passing on each and every quake in my country, few care anyway.

But this Thread got me interested and I started a research project in my spare time.

The question has been asked many times " are there more earthquakes now than in the past?"

Well the powers that be, eg USGS, British Geological Survey and others say NO.

But I'm not so sure after looking into it.
One thing I found was the claim that the USGS bulletin said about "1943 having 32 Seven Plus Magnitude quakes", well if there were I can't find them anywhere, the most I got was 16 !!!
And trust me I have ransacked the Web on this.

So they are lying, or they are using unpublished data.

Have a look and see what you think on the Blog I created to publish this info.
The subject may deserve its own ATS topic?
Major Earthquakes, how many and where"

Heres a snippet of what in there

So far I have only gone back to 1940, a period of 70 years.
The graph below shows the number of 7+ quakes each decade. Certainly looks like an increase in numbers since the 1990's.

The following graph shows the number of 7+ events 1940-2010 on a yearly basis, It looks that the 1950's and 1980's were quieter compared to the other 4 decades. Too short of a span of time to determine anything conclusive though.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by muzzy]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Thankyou for your well thought out reply, very kind to have done so.

I wonder if they will double in the next few decades, if so then we are in trouble, I hope 2012 has nothing to do with it.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Another update for this year of higher than 6 maganitude earthquakes, I'm not the only one who has a few raised eybrows about the sudden rise in news reports for this year.

7.2 magnitude quake rocks Papua New Guinea

Backgrounder: Chronology of major strong quakes worldwide since 1900

JAKARTA, July 18 (Xinhua) -- A powerful quake with magnitude of 7.2 struck the sea area near New Britain Region, Papua New Guinea on Sunday, the Indonesian Meteorology and Geophysics Agency reported here.

The quake jolted at 20:04 Jakarta time (1304 GMT) with epicenter at 503 km northeast Portmoresby and with the depth at 77 km under land, an official of the agency Annri Sembiring told Xinhua.

The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) lowered the magnitude to 6.9 on the Richter's scale after it had earlier put the magnitude at 7. 2.

The epicenter was initially determined to be at 6.116 degrees south latitude and 150.522 degrees east longitude, 110 km east of Kandrian, the capital city of New Britain Region.

No immediate tsunami warning had yet been issued so far.

Text

news.xinhuanet.com...

tibet.news.cn...

YUSHU, Qinghai, April 14 (Xinhua) -- At least 67 people died and many others were buried under the debris after a 7.1-magnitude earthquake hit northwest China's Qinghai Province early on Wednesday, the China Earthquake Administration said.

YUSHU, Qinghai, April 14 (Xinhua) -- A 7.1-magnitude earthquake hit northwest China's Qinghai Province early on Wednesday, the China Earthquake Networks Center said.

There have been casualties and house collapses, said residents and witnesses near the epicenter in the Yushu County, Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture of Yushu.

"As far as I know, there have been human casualties," said Karsum Nyima, deputy director of the News Department of the Yushu TV.

"I saw the roof of a Buddhist pagoda in a park collapsed," he said.

"The houses here are almost all made of wood and earthen walls. Some collapsed when the quake happened," he said.

But no official statistics have been released.

The quake struck the Yushu County at 7:49 a.m. with a depth of about 33 km. The epicenter is calculated to be 33.1 north and 96.7 east, the China Earthquake Networks Center reported.

Three aftershocks have been reported so far.

Text

tibet.news.cn...

Strong aftershocks shake Alaska island region

Sun Jul 18, 7:17 pm ET
ANCHORAGE, Alaska – A series of strong aftershocks in Alaska's Aleutian Islands region Sunday followed a powerful earthquake that shook the remote area, but officials said there were no immediate reports of damage or injury.

There also was no threat of a tsunami from any of the quakes.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the initial 6.7-magnitude temblor struck at 9:56 p.m. Saturday and was centered in the Bering Sea about 155 miles southwest of Dutch Harbor. The quake hit about 21 miles beneath the seabed.

USGS geophysicist Rafael Abreu said there were at least 11 aftershocks, including one occurring at 11:48 a.m. Sunday that had a 5.8 preliminary magnitude. He said that magnitude was still under review and could change.

The West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center showed a 6.2 magnitude for the same aftershock, which was felt in the tiny community of Nikolski, about 115 miles southwest of Dutch Harbor.

The initial, 6.7-magnitude earthquake was felt in both Dutch Harbor and nearby Unalaska, the nearest communities of any size to the epicenter.

Text

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 27-7-2010 by The time lord]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Now don't go and forget about these quakes

MAP 7.4 2010/07/23 23:15:10 6.792 123.282 631.2 MORO GULF, MINDANAO, PHILIPPINES
MAP 7.6 2010/07/23 22:51:13 6.470 123.532 583.8 MORO GULF, MINDANAO, PHILIPPINES
MAP 7.3 2010/07/23 22:08:12 6.699 123.475 612.2 MORO GULF, MINDANAO, PHILIPPINES

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I guess I got a bit lazy with those, thanks for the updating this thread, anyone else sees a pattern or is it all sensational story telling and just media hype, let you people decide, but for now I will keep track and if its a 'told you so' then good but if its all hype then its best to give these things a rest and not be so concerned.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Here we go again for the big 7 earthquakes this year, usually in diverse places like islands is the most regular case.

If you like thise thread and like to add some of your views please do.

news.sky.com... pos=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15713200_Earthquake_Rocks_Christchurch%2C_New_Zealand%2C_Collapsing_Walls_And_Cutting_Off_Power

Damage And Looting After NZ Earthquake

A 7.0-magnitude earthquake has rocked New Zealand's second largest city - collapsing walls and cutting off power.

No tsunami alert was issued and there appeared to be no serious injuries, but looters broke into some damaged shops in Christchurch, police said.

The quake, which hit 19 miles (30km) west of the city, shook a wide area.

Christchurch police reported damage to roads and buildings. Officers cordoned off some streets due to rubble.

Police inspector Mike Coleman said: "There is considerable damage in the central city and we've also had reports of looting, just shop windows broken and easy picking of displays.

"It's very unsafe to be out and about."

Christchurch mayor Bob Parker said the "sharp, vicious earthquake has caused significant damage in parts of the city... with walls collapsed that have fallen into the streets".

Chimneys and walls had fallen from older buildings, with roads blocked, traffic lights out and power, gas and water supplies disrupted, he said.

The quake hit at 4.35am (4.35pm GMT) shaking, thousands of people awake, New Zealand's National Radio reported.

Christchurch International Airport was closed after the 'quake as a precaution, as experts prepared to check the runways and airport terminals, a spokesman said.

New Zealand sits above an area of the Earth's crust where two tectonic plates collide.

The country records more than 14,000 earthquakes a year - but only about 150 are felt by people. Fewer than 10 a year do any damage.

The magnitude was revised downwards from an initial estimate of 7.4, US geological survey said.

Bookmark the storyDamage And Looting After NZ EarthquakeBookmark story form Add this to my favourites Stumble Upon Reddit Digg Delicious Newsvine Facebook CANCEL

Text

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
Now don't go and forget about these quakes

MAP 7.4 2010/07/23 23:15:10 6.792 123.282 631.2 MORO GULF, MINDANAO, PHILIPPINES
MAP 7.6 2010/07/23 22:51:13 6.470 123.532 583.8 MORO GULF, MINDANAO, PHILIPPINES
MAP 7.3 2010/07/23 22:08:12 6.699 123.475 612.2 MORO GULF, MINDANAO, PHILIPPINES

Wow. I totally missed those. I don't recall seeing them really mentioned in the media at all.

That was just a few weeks ago?

I'd call that pretty significant. No wonder though, that place is really volcanically active.

Did they "downgrade" these ?

I just rarely see them "upgrade" earthquakes, but I've seen it happen I'm not saying it doesn't. It's just kind of a funny "coincidence".

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
More after shocks in Christchurch New Zealand of a 5.0. They say this was more powerful than Haiti Earthquake but no one died from it, maybe because the houses better built even though thousands ae damaged.

Christchurch shaken by severe aftershock

7 September 2010 Last updated at 23:59 Share this

Christchurch faces a massive rebuilding programme after the earthquake The New Zealand city of Christchurch has suffered its most damaging aftershock since a powerful earthquake at the weekend.

The 5.1 magnitude tremor cut power, further damaged buildings and sent frightened residents running into the streets, national media reported.

Regular aftershocks have hit the area since Saturday's 7.1 quake.

A state of emergency is still in force in Christchurch, with schools remaining closed.

City Mayor Bob Parker has appealed for calm and urged residents to avoid travelling.

He said the intensity of the latest tremor reduced many emergency workers to tears.

"It was a devastatingly, vicious sharp blow to the city," he told NewstalkZB.

"This was a terrifying moment. We have just had to evacuate our Civil Defence headquarters. We have got staff in tears, we have got fire engines going through the middle of the city, power is out and a lot of people are very, very churned up by that."

A reporter for New Zealand's TV One station described Wednesday's aftershock as "sharp and very sudden".

Roger Sutton, chief executive of power company Orion, told the station that "quite a lot of power" had been lost as a result but he anticipated having systems up again quickly.

'Big jolt'

Christchurch City Council spokeswoman Diane Keenan described it as "a really big, stiff jolt".

"It was vertical rather than side to side like the first one. If you were in a car the road moved up and down," she said.

It was centred 10km south-east of Christchurch at a depth of 6km, the GeoNet agency reported.

New Zealand's ministry of civil defence has warned that an aftershock of up to 6.0 magnitude is possible in the next few days.

Saturday's earthquake caused widespread structural damage, but there were no fatalities.

Some of Christchurch's most historic buildings have been damaged beyond repair and are to be pulled down.

More than 100 aftershocks have rocked the area since Saturday.

Text

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
]I read this on the news but since then nothing has been added or said about this event in any way.

Earthquake Magnitude 7.2, south coast of Papua, Indonesia, Dobo, Kepulauan Aru 09/30/10

A major earthquake Magnitude 7.2, near the south coast of Papua, Indonesia has been reported by the USGS, below are the local and UTC time that the earthquake occurred. Please see the source for more details and updates.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 17:11:24 UTC
Thursday, September 30, 2010 02:11:24 AM at epicenter

Depth: 12.30 km (7.64 mi)

Distances:

105 km (65 miles) NNW of Dobo, Kepulauan Aru, Indonesia
310 km (190 miles) WSW of Enarotali, Papua, Indonesia
900 km (560 miles) NNE of DARWIN, Northern Territory, Australia
2985 km (1850 miles) E of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia

Text

Magnitude-7.2 Earthquake Rattles Rural Indonesia
www.cbsnews.com...

(CBS/AP) A powerful earthquake struck waters off of eastern Indonesia early Thursday, prompting officials to briefly trigger a tsunami warning.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 7.2 magnitude quake off Papua province was centered just 7.6 miles (12.3 kilometers) beneath the ocean floor.

It rattled the town of Tual on nearby Maluku island, said Fauzi, chief of the Indonesian meteorological and geophysics agency, adding that there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

The area closest to the epicenter is a remote, sparsely populated part of the country.

Located 1,800 miles (2,900 kilometers) east of the capital, Jakarta, it is closer to the northern Australian city of Darwin, which sits some 560 miles (900 kilometers) to the south.

Fauzi's agency lifted a tsunami warning 90 minutes after the temblor struck, saying the threat for destructive waves had passed.

Indonesia straddles a series of fault lines that make the vast island nation prone to volcanic and seismic activity.

A giant quake off the country on Dec. 26, 2004, triggered the Indian Ocean tsunami that killed 230,000 people, half of them in Indonesia's westernmost province of Aceh.

Text

edit on 1-10-2010 by The time lord because: Added more facts.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Just updating people on the subject of Earthquakes past 7 magnitude which yet again seems to happen a lot this year or we are being told more often via the news interest of it.

The tsunamis alerts for this year has been a lot, maybe because people are more aware of it or just maybe because this year it more likely to happen than the year before, one can be philosphical about it but facts are facts if this is something that is going to happen more often in our lifetimes.

Again Indonesia is at forefront again, it goes to show how active the region is, people today are living in diverse places so to speak, man has covered the world and now we are part of its natural cycle of fire, water, air and ice.

TextDeath Toll Rises After Indonesia Tsunami - 7.7 magnitude Earthquake undersea.

More than 100 people have died and hundreds more are missing after a 10ft-high tsunami hit the west coast of Indonesia.
The wave has washed away hundreds of houses in 10 coastal villages on the Mentawai islands, off the island of Sumatra.

A local official said 113 people had died and more than 500 were missing.

One of the hardest hit villages is Betu Monga where most of the houses and buildings have been destroyed.

An official in Betu Monga said: "Of the 200 people living in that village, only 40 have been found. A hundred and sixty are still missing, mostly women and children.

"We have people reporting to the security post here that they could not hold on to their children, that they were swept away. A lot of people are crying."

The wall of water was triggered by a 7.7 magnitude undersea earthquake that struck the area last night.

The fault which ruptured also caused the quake that triggered the Boxing Day tsunami in 2004, killing 230,000 people in a dozen countries.

The Mentawai islands are sparsely populated but are a popular surfing spot.

Nine Australians and a Japanese national on a surfing charter boat are among those unaccounted for.

Humanitarian organisation SurfAid said there were "genuine fears" for those on board the Southern Cross vessel as it was close to the quake epicentre.

A separate group of Australians on a chartered boat were anchored in a bay when the tsunami hit.

It caused their vessel to smash into a neighbouring boat, and a fire broke out, ripping through their cabin.

"We threw whatever we could that floated - surfboards, fenders - then we jumped into the water," Rick Hallet told Australia's Nine Network.

"Fortunately, most of us had something to hold on to ... and we just washed in the wetlands, and scrambled up the highest trees that we could possibly find and sat up there for an hour and a half."

Indonesia, the world's largest archipelago, is prone to quakes and volcanic activity due to its location on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire.

The city of Padang was badly shaken last year by a 7.6-magnitude quake that killed at least 700 people.

:: The tsunami came as Indonesia's most volatile volcano, Mount Merapi, started to erupt causing the evacuation of thousands of residents.
Text

SKYNEWS UK

Up To 19 People Killed As Volcano Erupts

Up to 19 people have been killed after Indonesia's most volatile volcano began spewing hot ash.

Scientists have warned that pressure building beneath Mount Merapi's lava dome could trigger one of the most powerful blasts in years.

"There was a thunderous rumble that went on for ages, maybe 15 minutes," said a local farmer.

"Then huge plumes of hot ash started shooting up into the air."

TV pictures showed police and volunteers carrying ash-covered corpses to waiting vehicles. A two-month-old baby was among the dead.

Government officials told the 11,400 villagers living on the 2,968-metre high mountain to evacuate the area.

Most fled immediately, but some stayed to look after their farms, crops, and livestock.

Merapi - which translates as Mountain of Fire - is on the main island of Java, about 300 miles south-east of the capital Jakarta.

Breaking News9:11pm UK, Tuesday October 26, 2010
Up To 19 People Killed As Volcano Erupts
Share11 Share Comments (10)Alex Watts and Carole Erskine, Sky News Online

Up to 19 people have been killed after Indonesia's most volatile volcano began spewing hot ash.

Scientists have warned that pressure building beneath Mount Merapi's lava dome could trigger one of the most powerful blasts in years.

"There was a thunderous rumble that went on for ages, maybe 15 minutes," said a local farmer.

"Then huge plumes of hot ash started shooting up into the air."

TV pictures showed police and volunteers carrying ash-covered corpses to waiting vehicles. A two-month-old baby was among the dead.

Mount Merapi erupted three times on Tuesday

Government officials told the 11,400 villagers living on the 2,968-metre high mountain to evacuate the area.

Most fled immediately, but some stayed to look after their farms, crops, and livestock.

Merapi - which translates as Mountain of Fire - is on the main island of Java, about 300 miles south-east of the capital Jakarta.

The islands are prone to earthquakes and volcanic activity because they lie on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire - a series of fault lines stretching from the Western Hemisphere through Asia.

In 2006, an avalanche of gases and rock tumbled down Merapi and killed two people.

A similar eruption in 1994 killed 60 people, and 1,300 people died in a much bigger blast 80 years ago.

Indonesian officials are also trying to assess the impact of a 7.7-magnitude earthquake late Monday that caused a tsunami off western Indonesia, leaving scores of villagers dead or missing.

Text

SKYNEWS UK

edit on 26-10-2010 by The time lord because: Added a Video

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I'm just rounding this thread off for 2010 and what a bad year for disasters and the effect on the economy it has had in terms of records broken for being one of the worst years of this generation.

As for earthquakes here are some more 7 and above to add to the research.

www.guardian.co.uk...
Tens of thousands flee southern Chile's coast after magnitude 7.1 earthquake

A magnitude 7.1 earthquake shook southern Chile yesterday, sending thousands fleeing for higher ground in fear of a tsunami like that which ravaged the coastline last year. There were no immediate reports of deaths or damage, and Vicente Nunez, head of the National Emergency Office, said no tsunami alert was issued.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre in Hawaii also said no destructive Pacific Ocean-wide tsunami was expected.

Some mobile phone aerials and electrical power were knocked out in the Araucania region where the quake was centred, 370 miles (595km) south-southwest of the capital, Santiago.

news.yahoo.com...
7.0 earthquake hits northern Argentina

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina – A magnitude-7.0 earthquake struck a rural area of northern Argentina Saturday morning, but its epicenter was so deep that it gave only a light shake to towns nearby.

The U.S. Geological Survey said Saturday that the quake, initially registered at 6.9, hit at 6:56 a.m. about 150 kilometers (115 miles) northeast of Santiago del Estero at a depth of 563 kilometers (350 miles).

news.yahoo.com...

SYDNEY (Reuters) – An undersea earthquake on Saturday caused a minor tsunami in the South Pacific but islanders said there were no reports of large-scale fluctuations in sea level or of damage or injuries.

Earlier, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center had issued a tsunami warning for Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Fiji after the 7.6 magnitude quake.

"An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami ... Authorities in the region should take appropriate action in response to this possibility," it said.

The center later canceled the warning after reporting a small tsunami had occurred.

news.yahoo.com...

TOKYO (AFP) – Scores of villagers on a remote Japanese island chain in the Pacific scrambled for higher ground early Wednesday after a major 7.4-magnitude offshore quake sparked a tsunami alert.

The seabed tremor struck at 2:19 am local time (1719 GMT Tuesday), jolting people out of bed as loudspeakers blared across the Ogasawara islands and authorities warned of the risk of a two-metre (six-foot) high local tsunami.

The tsunami alert was later downgraded and all warnings were lifted five hours after the quake hit near the islands, some 1,000 kilometres (600 miles) south of Tokyo. No injuries or damage were reported.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

MUST READ CONCLUSION:

www.prophecynewswatch.com...

This was the year the Earth struck back.

Earthquakes, heat waves, floods, volcanoes, super typhoons, blizzards, landslides and droughts killed at least a quarter million people in 2010 - the deadliest year in more than a generation. More people were killed worldwide by natural disasters this year than have been killed in terrorism attacks in the past 40 years combined.

"It just seemed like it was back-to-back and it came in waves," said Craig Fugate, who heads the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency. It handled a record number of disasters in 2010.

"The term '100-year event' really lost its meaning this year."

And we have ourselves to blame most of the time, scientists and disaster experts say.

Even though many catastrophes have the ring of random chance, the hand of man made this a particularly deadly, costly, extreme and weird year for everything from wild weather to earthquakes.

Poor construction and development practices conspire to make earthquakes more deadly than they need be. More people live in poverty in vulnerable buildings in crowded cities. That means that when the ground shakes, the river breaches, or the tropical cyclone hits, more people die.

Preliminary data show that 18 countries broke their records for the hottest day ever.

"The Earth strikes back in cahoots with bad human decision-making," said a weary Debarati Guha Sapir, director for the World Health Organization's Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters. "It's almost as if the policies, the government policies and development policies, are helping the Earth strike back instead of protecting from it. We've created conditions where the slightest thing the Earth does is really going to have a disproportionate impact."

HOW COSTLY:

Disasters caused $222 billion in economic losses in 2010 - more than Hong Kong's economy - according to Swiss Re. That's more than usual, but not a record, Schraft said. That's because this year's disasters often struck poor areas without heavy insurance, such as Haiti.

HOW WEIRD:

A volcano in Iceland paralyzed air traffic for days in Europe, disrupting travel for more than 7 million people. Other volcanoes in the Congo, Guatemala, Ecuador, the Philippines and Indonesia sent people scurrying for safety. New York City had a rare tornado.

A nearly 2-pound hailstone that was 8 inches in diameter fell in South Dakota in July to set a U.S. record. The storm that produced it was one of seven declared disasters for that state this year.

And that's just the "natural disasters." It was also a year of man-made technological catastrophes. BP's busted oil well caused 172 million gallons to gush into the Gulf of Mexico. Mining disasters - men trapped deep in the Earth - caused dozens of deaths in tragic collapses in West Virginia, China and New Zealand. The fortunate miners in Chile who survived 69 days underground provided the feel good story of the year.

In both technological and natural disasters, there's a common theme of "pushing the envelope," Olson said.

Colorado's Bilham said the world's population is moving into riskier megacities on fault zones and flood-prone areas. He figures that 400 million to 500 million people in the world live in large cities prone to major earthquakes.

A Haitian disaster will happen again, Bilham said: "It could be Algiers. it could be Tehran. It could be any one of a dozen cities."
______________________________________________________________________________________

My conclusion -
2010 was bad even if the date sounds futuristic and all technological.
2011 I feel will just be part two of 2010 and next year its the informous 2012 which lots of planets line up.

UK wise where I live we have had record snow and low temperatures and a recent earthquake up north of England and maybe more airport stopping snow on the way.

Happy new year to everyone, I hope its happy.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I predict the eruption of a mega volcano just after Valentines day, 2012...

Lake Toba seems the likely candidate, but something points to Markleeville, California... an obvious location mandating it to involve the Long Valley system...

An enormous shift will occur as the Juan de Fuca plate off the coast of Chile offsets the South American Continent... as well as causes the Pacific plate to violently heave NorthEastward in a rapid subduction event. This will be felt as far North as Alaska, as the violent upheaval shifts North America violently Northward by several hundred feet, causing the fault systems related to the San Andreas fault zone to shift from the violent movement, and thrusting the Sierra Nevada range several of feet higher than before.

With the subsiquent shift the Snake River plateau will be violently shook, causing the traditional fault zones found surrounding it to fracture like they have done in the past, and a renewed volcanic uprising manifesting itself in the Markleeville area, which scientst will classify as the latest Long Valley Caldera system's newest eruptive event.

The ramifications worsen, as these events fracture Lake Toba's volcanic core, causing a violent yet minor volcanic eruption offset from the main caldera, creating a new island that too will be classified as belonging to the new caldera system of Lake Toba.

Retrospectively, people will find gratitude that the main erruptive occurance wasn't Lake Toba itself, nor the YellowStone system, but too will find the Long Valley eruption still a hard event to contend with as its destructive force will be felt as far north as White Horse, Canada, as ar east as Missouri, as far south as Las Vegas, Nevada, and the entire western coast of America.

* exit, stage left...* ........

top topics

<< 1   >>

join