It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.1 Earthquake hits Soloman Islands. USGS says 6.8. Why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I've noticed a few times that USGS is lower than other reports.

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A major quake of magnitude 7.1 struck the Solomon Islands on Sunday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, but there no immediate reports of casualties or damage.

USGS said the quake's epicenter was 32.2 miles deep, 60 miles southwest of the Solomon Islands' Kira Kira in the Pacific Ocean. It hit at 8:40 p.m. (5:40 a.m. ET).

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I can't say it any better than this:

Q: Why are there often different magnitudes reported for the same earthquake?

A: When an earthquake occurs, the first information that is processed and relayed is usually based on a small subset of the seismic stations in the network, especially in the case of a larger earthquake. This is done so that some information can be obtained immediately without waiting for all of it to be processed. As a result, the first magnitude reported is usually based on a small number of recordings. As additional data are processed and become available, the magnitude and location are refined and updated. Sometimes the assigned magnitude is "upgraded" or slightly increased, and sometimes it is "downgraded" or slightly decreased.

Sometimes the earthquake magnitude is reported by different networks based on only their recordings. In that case, the different assigned magnitudes are a result of the slight differences in the instruments and their locations with respect to the earthquake.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Makes sense. Phage you are so often the calm voice of logic and reason. So much so that I had to be redundant

Thanx once again.

Jason

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It's interesting that in the UCGS summary the uncertainty of the location is indicated, but not the uncertainty of the magnitude. Perhaps that info's buried away somewhere in the more detailed data.

I'd be interested to know what this uncertainty is on quakes larger than 5, accepting that this probably couldn't be ascertained until at least several hours after the event.

I expect the uncertainty is generally greater the more remote the location, which would explain the notable discrepancies in reported magnitude for this quake in the Solomon Islands.

new topics

top topics

join