It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the earth be flat?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Here is an interesting theory I thought of the other day!

Let me start by saying that I am in no way scientific but this is an interesting thought and theory to consider! I don't mean flat in the literal sense!

After spinning a coin on a table I started thinking to myself that maybe the ancients were right in saying that the earth to some effect is flat!

If you look closely when you spin a coin you can see sometimes there is a what looks to be a hole in the middle!

The earth has a molten core... Maybe because the earth is spinning so fast the heavy liquid / gas is drawn to the middle!?

Because you are using a table it is limited because of the surface, but in space there is no gravity nor surface.

Various ancient cultures had conceptions of a flat Earth, such as Babylon, Ancient Egypt, pre-Classical Greece, pre-Classical India and pre-17th century China.

How planets are formed...

It is not known with certainty how planets are formed. The prevailing theory is that they are formed during the collapse of a nebula into a thin disk of gas and dust.
Taken from Wikipedia

What are your thoughts?

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Freq Of Nature]

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Freq Of Nature]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
interesting tought, nut nope. The Earth isn't flat. The moon isn't flat aswel. it's not like i'm watching a fast spinning coin up a..

Also clearly vissabble from a plane or hot-air balloon. Earth is Round and not hollow.

regards

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freq Of Nature

Here is an interesting theory I thought of the other day!

Let me start by saying that I am in no way scientific but this is an interesting thought and theory to consider!

After spinning a coin on a table I started thinking to myself that maybe the ancients were right in saying that the earth to some effect is flat!

Various ancient cultures had conceptions of a flat Earth, such as Babylon, Ancient Egypt, pre-Classical Greece, pre-Classical India and pre-17th century China.

How planets are formed...

It is not known with certainty how planets are formed. The prevailing theory is that they are formed during the collapse of a nebula into a thin disk of gas and dust.
Taken from Wikipedia

What are your thoughts?

Don't think so ....

The 1st person back in prehistory to sail over the horizon in a primitive boat would have quickly realized that the Earth is indeed curved (round) and definitely NOT flat !

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Freq Of Nature

A flat Earth would directly contradict my own personal experiences and observations.

Besides, how would you explain your animated gif at the top of your post?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Our ancestors thought the world was flat because they knew no different and did not have understand or motivation to challenge that view. The word is not flat (i.e. a disc) and any theory or postulation which asserts that we are not sitting on a sphere is frankly one sandwich short of a picnic.

I expect that there are still a few “flat Earthers” out there, but then they probably think the world sits on the back of an elephant or is supported by giants.

Regards

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
My thoughts are that there are people coming on ATS and posting steaming great loads of tosh to lower the standard of the forum and to make all conspiricy theorists look like nuts.

We have all hear the term "flat earthers" leveled at global warming deniers. Is this an attempt to link the ATS community with the term as well.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ThraexX

It is quite flawed haha but that is our perception of how it works!

If you look closely when you spin a coin you can see sometimes there is a what looks to be a hole in the middle!

The earth has a molten core... Maybe because the earth is spinning so fast the heavy liquid / gas is drawn to the middle!?

Because you are using a table it is limited because of the surface, but in space there is no gravity nor surface.

To the people judging the theory based on their knowledge of science and other peoples work, just think... Scientists, physicists and professors know as much as we do about the universe.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Well I don't believe the Earth is flat. Who was it ? Copernicus who said it was round. ( Not sure). He was banned and exiled by the catholic churge for it. It took the same churge 400 years to offer an apology.

There was an ancient egyptian dude who discovered the Earth was round way back in time.
He made this discovery by observing two water pits. One in the south of Egypt and one in the North. The exact same time of the year at the exact same time of the day he observed that the shadow behind water pit was different.

He was able to calculate the complete distance for a straight line circling the Earth. He was even astonishing close to what we now know for a fact.
Only a whopping 10 meters.

I'll try to find a source for you.
Egyptions estimate the size of the Earth
Not the one I spoke of . Still looking for that one.

Here is an Ancient Greek who holds the record to be the first.
Erathosthenes

Aha here it is. I was a bit of with my story but it was actually that Greek guy Erathosthenes who did it in Egypt around 2000 years ago.
www.astronomy.no...

And a hollow Earth is like you said yourself the place where a big ball of molten iron is spinning.
How could it be hollow then ?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
first off, there is gravity between any 2 objects in space, atmosphere or not.

nextly, i'm pretty sure that we would have noticed that the earth was flat when we sent up satalites to take pictures of the earth

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
No
Earth is not flat.

it is funny though (and kinda sad)
that there are still people today who believe such nonsense.

flat no
hollow,
yes. lol

cool avatar tho, freq.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Ahmose]

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

If not for the god damned church, we would be exploring the universe and living indefinite life spans, by now.

-_-

Not that I'm holding TOO much of a grudge

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Everyone above me is wrong!! The Earth is flat!

On a side note, I have a very nice bridge for sale in Brooklyn. If you're interested, send me a U2U, I'll give you my paypal info and you can send me an advanced payment

[edit on 4/11/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Galileo was scorned as well.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Interesting theory but I'm 99% sure the Earth is round. Of course I'll never be 100% sure until I've personally flown around the world.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I have been around the world, and got an extra sunrise out of the deal.

That's only a small part of the overall evidence.

Consider lunar eclipses: That's when the Moon passes behind the Earth directly opposite the Sun. The Earth casts its shadow on the Moon. I have been watching lunar eclipses for nigh-on 40 years. I have seen them when the Moon is rising in the east, and when it is setting in the west; when it is transiting the southern skies and when straight over.. Every single time, the shadow of the Earth on the Moon's disk has been circular. The only way this can happen regardless of the geometry is if the object casting the shadow is a sphere.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I've personally flown around the Earth so I can tell you from my personal experience it's not flat.

Originally posted by Freq Of Nature

That sounds like how I came up with my leprechaun theory when I was spinning the marshmallows from lucky charms cereal on my tabletop!

We know not only the spherical shape of the Earth but how much the equator bulges out from the rotation:

www-geodyn.mit.edu...

gravity forces the shape of the Earth to be almost spherical, although Earth's equatorial radius of 6378 km is about 21 km larger than its polar radius because of centrifugal distortion. However, the gravity small bodies like asteroids is much weaker and is not able to enforce a nearly spherical shape. We find that objects larger than a few hundred kilometers in diameter are nearly spherical, whereas smaller objects like Eros are irregular. An object the size of the Earth could not hold the shape of Eros - with its dimension about 32.7 km and its smallest (from the bottom of the 5 km crater to the bottom of the saddle) under 7 km. Unless such an object were made of material much stronger than any rock, it would collapse to a more spherical shape.

In other words, even if the Earth by some freak didn't form into a sphere, gravitational forces of an object the size/mass/density of the Earth would cause it to form a spherical shape quickly. Our observations show that rocky or gaseous planets larger than a certain size (a few hundred KM in diameter) will tend to be spherical in shape due to gravitational forces.

Regarding Eratosthenes, while he actually made fairly accurate measurements of the Earth's size ~2000 years ago, I suspect people before him suspected the rounded shape even if they didn't have his accurate measurements. Why? Well one clue that sailors would be familiar with, is the way sailing ships show less and less of themselves as they sail off into the distance, until you can finally only see the top tip of the mast. I submit to you that you don't have to be an Albert Einstein to figure out that appearance could be due to a rounded shape of the Earth. It would have been harder for non-sailors to see the rounded shape through personal experience, but I suspect knowledge of the round Earth precedes Eratosthenes by a good bit, at least several centuries and Wikipedia also suggests this:

Spherical Earth

The concept of a spherical Earth dates back to ancient Greek philosophy from around the 6th century BCE,[1] but remained a matter of philosophical speculation until the 3rd century BC when Hellenistic astronomy established the spherical shape of the earth as a physical given.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

An optical illusion based on you having two eyes. Try it with one eye shut. No more hole. I don't think you can compare the same optical effect to a physical effect with the Earth....

Google on the "sausage finger" optical illusion for more fun (or terrifying younger relatives)....

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
It's a myth that the Church believed the Earth was flat, it was fairly well known from the Ancient Greeks up past the Middle Ages that the Earth was round.

Spending a couple of minutes, Copernicus as the first to suggest the heliocentric view of the solar system.
Contrary to being exiled, the Pope at the time, members of the Church were interested in the theory and politely asked him to present his theory.
He did not, but a friend of his did.
It wasn't until after his death that there came conflict between his idea and the Church, and it was Galileo that suffered for it, having been put under house arrest in 1633 for the rest of his life.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

From what I have learned, whether this be true or not, the course of understanding from ancient times till now has been an arch with the peak of ignorance being just a few centuries ago. In reading your question, and if I understand it correctly, I am forced to question the validity of this statement.

It has been my experience from reading about these ancient cultures, i.e. 200 AD -3,000 AD and beyond, that they understood very well that the Earth was not flat but more apt to a sphere. There are several ways in which we can conclude that the Earth is a rotating sphere; measuring the stars, solar shadows (gnomon), the passage of time (calendars) and so on. All of these the ancients did with extreme accuracy. The precision at which the ancients were able to measure time is second to none in some cases. This is a very difficult concept to follow given our modern telescopes, laser precision levels and atomic clocks yet it is the basis of relativity that shows these measures are fallible.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

O M G !!!

Seriously ? I didn't no that.

I'm starting to wonder how many school hours were useles. Life wasting time being spend.

I mix up names and stuff but I really learned something else then what you just told me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join