It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.1 Earthquake Hits Solomon Islands - 11th April 2010

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Not much news out there yet. Possibly not much damage due to the depth. We shall soon find out though.

Date-Time Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 09:40:29 UTC
Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 08:40:29 PM at epicenter

Location 10.925°S, 161.191°E
Depth 51.9 km (32.3 miles) set by location program
Region SOLOMON ISLANDS
Distances 97 km (60 miles) WSW (237°) from Kira Kira, Solomon Islands
211 km (131 miles) SE (140°) from HONIARA, Solomon Islands
248 km (154 miles) SSE (168°) from Auki, Solomon Islands
1540 km (957 miles) E (97°) from PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea

earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 11-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Seems like the trend is still there .... as per my thread and prediction
EARTHQUAKES: An analysis indicating increasing frequency and severity
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bed460ccf27e.jpg[/atsimg]

Looking at the above summary, it is plainly obvious that overall, earthquake activity was on a gradual decline in the decades prior to 1990 but then unexpectedly, in the year 1991, some kind of 'tipping point' was reached and the number and intensity of subsequent earthquakes in all magnitude ranges began a steady and statistically significant increase.
Amalgamating all the data from the 3 magnitude ranges still shows a consistent and undeniable trend of increasing earthquake activity as is obvious in the overall increase of 38%.

So, can we conclude that the 'feelings' and 'impressions' that many ATS members have regarding significant increases in earthquake activity is justified ?
From the above analysis, it appears that we can conclude that there is indeed strong justification for such a belief.

PREDICTION

Based on the observed trends, it is more than likely that earthquake activity will continue to increase over time and that based on the above clearly observed trends, the greater proportion of future major earthquake events will be seen to occur primarily within the 6.0 to 6.9 magnitude range. However, it would also appear that we will be seeing increasing numbers of events also occurring within the 7.0 to 7.9 and 8.0 and higher magnitude ranges, compared to what were observed to have happened in past decades.

[edit on 11/4/10 by tauristercus]

[edit on 11/4/10 by tauristercus]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
News just in here in New Zealand -

A magnitude 7.1 earthquake has struck the Solomon Islands, according to the United States Geological Survey.

The quake struck at 9.40pm and was situated 211km southeast of the Solomon Islands capital Honiara at a depth of 52km

No tsunami warning has been issued.

www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Yeh yeh, rub it in why don't you........
only kiddin!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Thank you for the update... no news feeds talking about it in the States yet. My phone hasn't text'd me on this event either...

For those of you that don't know you can have earthquake.usgs.gov... text you when an earthquake hits.

That was a deep quake.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Anyone find it weird that it seems these big earthquakes always hit on a weekend?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
According to this link, the quake was centred in an unpopulated area, although it does mention a tsunami warning -

www.gdacs.org...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Who pissed of mother earth this time?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

I have already replied to your erroneous assumptions on the other thread for this.

See my reply here or the full thread here

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

I have already replied to your erroneous assumptions on the other thread for this.

And I responded in the other thread to your baseless reasoning and accusation.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus

And I have replied to your misinformed and baseless accusations here

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by biblenet
Anyone find it weird that it seems these big earthquakes always hit on a weekend?

Hey, the fault is working during the week.. moving and such... on the weekend they rock out!!

I laughed at that.. it IS true as of late, eh?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus

And I have replied to your misinformed and baseless accusations here

Quoting Phage at me will gain you little credit with me as like the majority of ATS members (myself included), he is NOT an expert in any particular field so far as I have been able to determine. The vast majority of his responses and/or refutations are based on nothing more than a quick and selective scouring of the web using Google and a few key search terms ... do this sufficient number of times and 'anyone' can come across here as an expert ... even yourself.

Way back in the 30's, there were in excess of 350 already globally established seismological monitoring stations which were more than capable even with the simpler technology available to them of detecting significant (magnitude 5.0+) events anywhere in the world. I have already referenced the propensity of the US to monitor Soviet nuclear detonations back in the 50's AND to be able to distinguish such an event from that of a naturally occurring earthquake.
So adding a few 1000 more monitoring stations will only be of significance in detecting the lower magnitude quakes that may have been previously missed AND to more accurately pinpoint the event location.

I also notice that even with your 'geological interest', all you've done is throw Phage at me as if that puts a definitive end to any other interpretation of the raw data by anyone else. I also notice that your ONLY explanation for the significant 800+ increase in magnitude 6.0 events post 1990 is by falling back on the 'we have more monitoring stations available now' ... so no other explanation should be considered as far as YOU are concerned ?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I also notice that your ONLY explanation for the significant 800+ increase in magnitude 6.0 events post 1990 is by falling back on the 'we have more monitoring stations available now' ... so no other explanation should be considered as far as YOU are concerned ?

I was not aware that I had stated that there was no increase at any time, nor offered any explanation for why there is an increase in the numbers. Indeed if you looked at one of my links I agreed that there had apparently been an increase even though the USGS says not. There appears to have been a change with 6.0-6.9 going up and 7.0-7.9 going down. What I stated, and I stand by that still, is that the statistical basis on which you arrived at the 40% figure was wrong.

Are you deliberately misinterpreting what I said?

My apologies for derailing this thread. I will not post on this matter again.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

I was not aware that I had stated that there was no increase at any time, nor offered any explanation for why there is an increase in the numbers. Indeed if you looked at one of my links I agreed that there had apparently been an increase even though the USGS says not. There appears to have been a change with 6.0-6.9 going up and 7.0-7.9 going down. What I stated, and I stand by that still, is that the statistical basis on which you arrived at the 40% figure was wrong.

My apologies for derailing this thread. I will not post on this matter again.

If you care to do the maths yourself using the very same raw data supplied by the USGS covering the period 1970 to 2009, you'll find that my statistics are very much correct ... the trend during that period, especially for the 6.0 to 6.9 magnitude range shows a very significant increase in events.

Also, my apologies as well to the OP for contributing to any derailment of this thread.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

OK, have you accounted for the change from Richter to MMS?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
It's been downgraded to 6.8...

Magnitude 6.8
Date-Time

* Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 09:40:30 UTC
* Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 08:40:30 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 10.913°S, 161.130°E
Depth 60.2 km (37.4 miles)
Region SOLOMON ISLANDS
Distances 100 km (65 miles) WSW of Kira Kira, San Cristobal, Solomon Isl.
205 km (130 miles) SE of HONIARA, Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands
245 km (150 miles) S of Auki, Malaita, Solomon Islands
2025 km (1260 miles) NNE of BRISBANE, Queensland, Australia

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

OK, have you accounted for the change from Richter to MMS?

I don't believe the Richter scale has been used since the early 70's when seismologists switched over to the moment magnitude scale (MMS) and denoting the measured value as Mw.
The USGS raw data that I used designates the magnitude in MMS format.

But irrespective of whatever measuring scale is used, one still has to account for the seemingly huge increase of 800+ 6.0 to 6.9 magnitude events in the 20 years post 1990 when compared to the 20 years pre 1990. In my opinion, earthquake measuring/detecting technology was more than up to the task of identifying significant valued events during both time periods and so one has to look for alternative explanations to account for such an obvious and significant increase.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Just so happens we're in the midst of another CME (coronal mass ejection) and that today and tomorrow is when the brunt of the solar wind is being recieved by the Earth... not coincidental.

Neither is the quake in Spain. Pay attention to the sun. If you look at my previous replies to other posts, you can see that I've been saying this for quite a while. Not ALL quakes are caused by the sun, but so far, coronal mass ejections precede too many quakes to be ignored or considered coincidental.

www.spacewather.com

~Namaste

new topics

top topics

join