It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with the youth?!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
it's the music. i mean kesha, please? there's no way kesha would have been around in a year prior to 1990.

just compare music from the late 80s and before and music from the early 90s onward. we became trashy and stupid in the 90s because of our pop culture. now suddenly cussing is okay in everyday language, it's cool to be apathetic and mean and uncaring, and the only god is technology.

and i'm only 20 and am talking like this, so it's not all relative.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I think it's because teens have finally realized that their friends are wiser than their parents, who are uncool and only want to stop them from having fun.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

Originally posted by Mamie
I walk at least 4.5 miles everyday as well as 2 miles to and from work where I do 12 hour shifts on my feet kiddo. The trick is good shoes and a good stroller for the little ones.

In the UK gas is something like $9 a gallon and it is difficult and expensive to find parking so we sold the car, invested in good shoes and walk everywhere. We have never looked back.

Actually your wrong the trick as you would say it is to not pat these kids on the back and say it is alright just try harder. Let them truly fail and watch how fast they learn and grow up. Shoes do not make a man fathers do and look around at the weak fathers.

This kid need to be cast to the wolves and they will sink or they will swim. Parents used to make kids work and expected good behavior and also spanked their kids this is a thing of the past and the progressives mindset is raising children today and look how they are turning out.

I totally agree with you. I believe in allowing people to fail. That is what I cannot stand about the UK. No one is allowed to fail and along with that...the common man is not allowed to succeed.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
sick, fed up of been forced to be in a class of society. Sick of been bundled with paper work to a strict router, sick of been controlled like a robot. They want to be independent because their parents are hopeless and useless.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LocoHombre

Wow. Well I respect people like you. North Dakota sounds beautiful.. Now just hang in with school and get the maths sorted and you will have a good future as a productive member of society.

That work Ethic and can-do mentality is what made America a place top be respected in the globe. Perhaps you will never be a reality TV star (LOL) but an ordinary working Joe and a productive member of society.

Best wishes to you and yours

Tiger

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Technology has obviously made today's youth lazy and "distracted" from normal growth and develpment. I myself are in the "post-graduate high school stage" and me being part of this youth I agree we have gotten lazy in this generation. However, the technology has made our lives so easy and simple we become adapted into some spoiled and lazy-like lifestyle. Part of the problem is parental influnced but most of it is the environmental and the real lifestyle that person was raised in. I partily agree with the OP here

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

I agree 110% with everything you have said here. A fine way with words indeed.

SPOT ON!

g

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by higns07

I've got three nieces that have landed jobs, so there are jobs out there.

I agree with you on the obsession for the things you listed, I can blame it on over self esteem, or the kids' shows that always depict a famous, popular person with all the latest newest stuff, but it's not that easy.
I think the problem is closer to that speech in Fight Club, (paraphrasing) when one of the cats goes on about how they were told they were going to be on top, and get the girls, and be the rock star, and they just woke up to being themselves, and they are mad about it.
I'm not going to blame it on TV or advertising, but TV sells stuff by using that idea, that you can be special and famous and whatever of you buy this stuff. Magazines are paid by publicist to say the dullest person in the world is great because her dad has the money to buy the PR.
You'd think after a few Christmases of us getting stuff that looked so cool on TV but is crap in real life, we'd learn, but no.
I don't know who to blame. I don't know what my family did right with our nieces, but they aren't like that. I think it was just letting them be who they were.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
I'll tell you what, anyone with an ounce of self respect would rather be unemployed than work at a gas station, fast food restaurant or walmart if at all possible. You know why? Because people will look down on them, call them "pathetics" and not give a damn how their "work ethic" shows.

I am almost 25 an have NEVER HAD A JOB. I have applied, but no one will hire someone on SSI (put on it at 16) and part time is damn near impossible to find unless you want to mop a mcdonalds floor. So you know what? I'm not doing SQUAT until I have the credentials or opportunity to make more than ten dollars an hour (which I do online).

Having known people who have busted their behind all their life and still are just one check away from street, I say screw that, I want better for myself.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

Nice cop out!! Good luck! If you're 25 and have no experience yet, your job search will not get any easier. I wouldn't look twice at your one paragraph resume.

Jobs build character no matter how menial. I got the menial jobs out of the way when I was young and I wouldn't change a thing. A summer of flipping burgers at McDonalds taught me more than I thought it would.

If you play your cards right maybe you can get hired as a neurosurgeon when the nation experiences a shortage of doctors. Go buy yourself an Operation board game and get practicing.

What cop out? I go to school online and am enrolled in community college as well. I find it strange that in order to get a decent job, I need experience, but cannot get said experience until I get a job. Once upon a time companies TRAINED people, but now they won't touch a new entry to the job market, especially one on disability! I think I will stick with college and pass on you're brilliant advice.

I can only imagine the scowl you would give a man who, instead of bagging groceries puts his effort into creating his own business.

I should also clarify that I don't look down on people who work for minimum wage, quite the opposite, but I am aware that people who work for a low wage will not often see any better in life. That is due to many factors, but if it were not true, everyone I know would be making 18+ an hour and my mother would have been able to retire before having her body break down and forcing her into retirement.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

[edit on 12-4-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

What cop out? I go to school online and am enrolled in community college as well. I find it strange that in order to get a decent job, I need experience, but cannot get said experience until I get a job. Once upon a time companies TRAINED people, but now they won't touch a new entry to the job market, especially one on disability! I think I will stick with college and pass on you're brilliant advice.

I can only imagine the scowl you would give a man who, instead of bagging groceries puts his effort into creating his own business.

Congrats on going to school to advance your education. However, please define what you think a "decent job" is.

There is nothing wrong with mopping floors while you're in college or high school. Gotta pay the bills. Furthermore these jobs build character and demonstrate ones capacity to take orders and ones ability to do the dirty work if needed.

If you ever want to find a job, you have to change your attitude first. An attitude like yours will be very clear if you ever get a job interview. Just going to college doesn't entitle you to simply skip the entry level positions. That is a big problem with the current generation of recent college grads.

I was just helping my wife sort through 75 resumes last night for a position that she is hiring for. The position is clearly not entry level and she had dozens of resumes from applicants who have not yet even graduated and just as many resumes from people who have been laid off with 20 plus years of experience. The latter bunch lost 20 years of salary history with a company and now have to start from the ground floor again. How do you think they feel?

I'm sorry about your disability however, a company not hiring you because of it is highly illegal. Perhaps it is your attitude that is your true disability. That is a great reason not to hire someone. Furthermore, your lack of any work history whatsoever will be a hindrance in a tough job market. Go to Lowes or Home Depot because now is the time that they are looking for seasonal help. Convince them that your are worth their time.

I don't know what your disability is and it does not matter. Rise above it and get creative and above all be positive and not bitter. Because you are going to need something clever to get your resume noticed amongst all the others.

BTW. Companies still train their associates from the ground floor to the executive level. You just have to get your foot in the door first and that may just mean working in the mail room for a year. Most companies prefer to promote from within where applicable.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Americans allowed the Federal Government, based in Washington, DC, to take control of their schools under the Carter Administration and the invention, out of thin air, as are so many Federal agencies, of the Department of Education.

The Feds in Washington are "teaching" your children to be good communists. That is what the problem is. Shut down the Department of Education and take back your schools. Parents are fools if they think that a bunch of criminals in Washington, DC have the best interests of their children at heart. They need cannon fodder and wage slaves not motivated individuals and spirited entrepreneurs.

To free the children, shut down the Federal Department of Education!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The youth are influenced everyday with all this easy money rappers and singers and the life of making it that big that fast, and not to mention good marijuana now a days, that stuff knocks you out and makes you a lazy ass. Its sad to say but all the southern cali youth is wasting with all this kush influence, which brings me back to music.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The problem as I see it is... they dont know what a wood shed is. and as far as that goes, they have been programmed to consume. producing anything takes away from TV and Phone time.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

I much as I agree that there isn't many jobs out there at the moment; I think it is ludicrous to say that kids can't get jobs.

I got my first job for Marks and Spencers aged 16 with 12 not very good GCSE's.
Now don't get me wrong; I am not a thick person, I just got disillusioned with life at school and decided that I'd do things my own way and not revise, Although I got 10 C Grades and 2A's I wasn't happy because I knew I could do better, but I digress...

I left Marks and Spencers and looked for work again. Within two weeks I had another job in McDonalds. Although it's not the most glamorous place to work, I am no longer depending on the bank of Mum and Dad to fund my lifestyle.

I think The Youth of today have no motivation - they see families split up and live off the state and this entices them to waste there life and sponge off of the social security in USA and Benefits system in UK.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
As a teacher of adolescents, I can only wonder at the judgmental attitudes I am reading on this thread against young people. Who created these kids? Kids don't control much of their lives, they are dependent on the systems in place around them to mold them and to present the incentives they need to develop the life skills to succeed in this culture.

Our culture does not provide meaningful outlets for our youth: the only really meaningful feedback is entertainment including sports. With the economic collapse, many of our youth have felt their only option is the military and have enlisted with a hope of college or enough money for a home in the future.

Loco is so lucky to be one of the few youth who live on a ranch; he has grown up with his parents working on the ranch and has always been a viable, valuable participant in the enterprise of the farm. He describes his duties and sounds enthusiastic and strong. There are many young people who care very much to please their parents, to be respected and valued by their parents and communities.

We need to think about how our country values (or does not value) children; does not present meaningful and substantial options for the children's futures. What programs do our communities offer to give youth the ability to be an honest and valued citizen? What can our urban communities offer to young people that has a true and intrinsic value to everyone, including adults. Right now, what most of us are seeing is that kids only want to verify their identities by entering a show business or sports venue.

Loco knows what it takes to be a rancher, because he sees and lives it daily. How many other children can say that? Where does our society prepare our youth for a meaningful future? Many professions and jobs the children do have some contact with: teachers, coaches, policemen, firemen, - occupational outlook is not good, layoffs, cutbacks, and furloughs. The only people that are valued in this society and protected and lauded are a small, inviolate group of bankers and corporate heads; and the game is stacked against the kids.

Kids want to do something with meaning, spiritually rewarding. They want to mean something positive to others. What can we provide that is spiritually and emotionally fulfilling to our children to give them meaning and joy in life? Something close to Loco's life, family enterprise..?

any ideas?

Lets stop bashing kids who are victims of a materialistic, moronic, consumer society...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Congrats on going to school to advance your education. However, please define what you think a "decent job" is.

There is nothing wrong with mopping floors while you're in college or high school. Gotta pay the bills. Furthermore these jobs build character and demonstrate ones capacity to take orders and ones ability to do the dirty work if needed.

If you ever want to find a job, you have to change your attitude first. An attitude like yours will be very clear if you ever get a job interview. Just going to college doesn't entitle you to simply skip the entry level positions. That is a big problem with the current generation of recent college grads.

I was just helping my wife sort through 75 resumes last night for a position that she is hiring for. The position is clearly not entry level and she had dozens of resumes from applicants who have not yet even graduated and just as many resumes from people who have been laid off with 20 plus years of experience. The latter bunch lost 20 years of salary history with a company and now have to start from the ground floor again. How do you think they feel?

I'm sorry about your disability however, a company not hiring you because of it is highly illegal. Perhaps it is your attitude that is your true disability. That is a great reason not to hire someone. Furthermore, your lack of any work history whatsoever will be a hindrance in a tough job market. Go to Lowes or Home Depot because now is the time that they are looking for seasonal help. Convince them that your are worth their time.

I don't know what your disability is and it does not matter. Rise above it and get creative and above all be positive and not bitter. Because you are going to need something clever to get your resume noticed amongst all the others.

BTW. Companies still train their associates from the ground floor to the executive level. You just have to get your foot in the door first and that may just mean working in the mail room for a year. Most companies prefer to promote from within where applicable.

Thank you for the more reasonable advice. Its interesting you mention home depot and lowes, those are my next apps I am filling out, I just hope there is part time. My idea of a decent job is just about anything outside of fast food, gas stations and grocery bagging. People go to school to get somewhere better than what that work provides for both finances and personal satisfaction. I have no gripes with hard work.

My first post was explaining an outlook held by this generation, not myself. I need money to survive and unfortunately mopping a floor does not pay well, I don't look down on it. If a job cannot exceed my benefits then I can't take the job. If I take full time, I will lose my benefits, so the job MUST be substantial. Believe me, I have no attitude, its my situation and I am doing my best to make sure I am relevant in the future. Thanks again.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LaMadameDuval

thanks for that.
sadly, many do not take the time to enjoy the beauty in life. they are too busy being workaholics spending all day inside a cubicle the size of a pickup bed. and you people on here can't really say that all kids today are lazy because there are gems like me and i don't think you guys are working on a ranch!!! lol

you guys just let agriculture slip away because many deem it as a) unethical, b) too hard, c) cruel, or d) dirty.
do you guys even bother telling your children (if you have any) where your food comes from? if you did we wouldn't have PETA. . .

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Your first post made it sound almost like you were bragging about not working and that you weren't even going to consider a job that would get your foot in a door. Now, I see that is not really how you intended it.

I think you have probably done work that you can use on your resume, even if you were not formally "hired" or "paid" - look back at the things you have done - have you done any volunteer work? Have you been involved with anything like community theater, clubs, groups, etc? Those things can be listed as experience on a resume, you just need to call out the skills that were used. Heck, you may want to mention your writing skills.

And no, I don't fault the person who starts a company because he didn't spend his time working at WalMart. Just make sure you have the entrepreneurial gift and use it, if that is your calling. If you do, you will need to put together a business plan and sell it to people. If selling isn't your thing, but you still feel you can document a business plan and sell it even though sales isn't your first love, then go for it. But, if you just want to give a reason why you aren't applying at WalMart or MacDonalds, then just admit you don't want to work at either of those places, for your own personal reasons (you do have a right to an opinion, after all) and keep looking at other places that seem more interesting. Teach yoga. Work at a garden center. Work on a farm. Build urban solutions to garbage problems. Study nuclear power and go to work at a power plant. Become a restaurant inspector and get licensed on the job - local government has great jobs if you can get one, they provide tons of training and a pension. There are a TON of options and all you need is to get your foot in the door. USE your advisors and guidance/career counselors. Talk to your teachers and ask if they know of any openings or work/study programs.

Good luck!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
im 23 years old and my wife tells me i need to be a roll model for my brother-in-law b/c he dose not have an older brother and his father works to much. so i try to teach him about everything im in to working on cars, football, ect. in genaral being outside and a guy, but he cries and wines says he dose not like these things so i ask what do you like he replys video games to wich i say no you need to toughn up be a man your 14 yrs old and you only way 80 lbs and cant do two pushups but my wife lets him get away with it. in short my freinds i blame tech, namely video games
"why go out side when i can live all my dreams through the tv with no posablity of injury"

[edit on 15-4-2010 by thetruthisnow]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join