It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with the youth?!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
Everything is fine, no natural laws are being broken.
There's nothing wrong. The system seeks Equilibrium.
Separate the factual from the judgemental and the problem disappears.
Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

gj

Are you truly this naive?

Natural laws have been broken.

Perhaps you slept through the birth of the synthetic industry, the nuclear age, and the coming of transgenics.

Either you're >80 and have been in a coma for the last 70 years, recently awakening..or you're just young and naive.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Here is my take on what is wrong with children.
The current generation has no concept of right or wrong, and parents who are afraid to be parents. The days of spankings and where children are taught the laws of cause and effect, of the lessons that would make a child sucessful are long gone. From what I have observed, most parents both are working, or it is a one parent job. With the current price and cost of things, they have to, in order to get ahead. Children who you see do things that get into trouble, such as fights are often doing such cause I believe they are spoiled and do not understand that their actions have consequences, or if they get into a gang at an early age, it is cause the parents are not laying down the law at home. The concept and idea of public shame is gone, more and more it looks like a badge of honor. When I was a manager, and working where I did hire people, I was very leery of hiring young people who were under 25, not cause I did not want to, but ever person who I did hire who was under 25, I would have to end up terminating their employment, and each time it was documented. The first person that comes to mind, well lets just say by the time I was given the ok to terminate, he had a file a good 2 inches thick of documentation for everything from sexual harassement, to being late, violating safety and security problems. And it is as if he did not know what all was going on, as everything was in the employee handbook he got when he was first hired. The next person for assult at work. Another for theft. Another cause she thought that during big basketball games, she could stay at home and not be there, another for drugs. The concept of coming to work and getting a paycheck and behaving was not there.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Maybe the youth just have different things that they value than your generation. Perhaps they are not motivated to do something unless they can clearly see the benefit of doing it and be getting tangible benefits for doing it. Maybe they don't want to work hard or behave at work because they perceive employment practices in this country to be predatory, and the salary barely being worth the time and effort of working. Adjusted to inflation, the minimum wage is almost half of what it was in the early 70's, so compensation is pretty low and most people can barely get by. Why should I care about an organization that tries to screw me over in every way, and doesn't care about me at all? To them we are replaceable, and these days there really is no incentive to work hard because you will still be viewed as expendable anyways.

I reject the claim that the youth are lazier than the older generation. How can you call the youth lazy when most members of the older generation can't be bothered to work the most basic forms of modern technology? I think it is pure intellectual laziness to be unable to attach a message to an email, but you would be surprised at the number of older people who are unable to do this. Probably not ATS'ers, but believe me, they are out there.

Watch out for people trying to push mandatory military service. This is America, we don't need any problem-reaction-solution crap designed to steal our rights based off of a flawed perception that the youth is lazy. Seriously, just try to force mandatory military service and I guarantee how stunned you will be at how un-lazy the American youth of today is. That sort of goes back to the youth having different values than the older generation.

One more thing: I don't think old people should be able to complain about the state of the youth when they as a voting bloc constantly support cuts in education and larger class sizes, just because voting for education doesn't directly benefit the old. All the political charades and apocalyptic hysteria have made the youth cynical, and they are slow to trust those who they previously held in authority. Can you blame us after we've witnessed major world events, like the invasion of Iraq, being shaped around lies? Your crappy decisions messed up this country and are sapping away our quality of life in the future, and we are mad about it. We do what we want, because clearly you also do what you want.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I do not agree with this post at all. I do not doubt that in your life you have experienced or witnessed first hand "lazy youth" however each generation has had that percentage of individuals that chooses not to contribute to society. I have been working a full time job and attending school since I was 15. I had an associates degree and high school diploma at the age of 17. I spent four more years at a university taking a full course load while working 40-50 hours a week and maintaining a social life. After college I have held a management position for a Fortune 500 company. I know several other individuals within my age demographic (18-25) who are just as productive and successful as I am.
What it really comes down to is some people are just motivated to make a life for themselves and work hard for what they want and others just have a false sense of entitlement and sit back waiting for the opportunities to come knocking.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Usually this behavior stems from the parents. Since the internet went mainstream and television lost the test patterns they decided to let technology raise their kids. Then complain that they don't spend enough quality time
and nowadays its "too mean and hurtful" to tell someone they are over-weight, even though they are barraged by media that says the same thing without words. No one tries anymore, dreams and ambitions are bottled up because its not part of their "schedule".

But their are always exceptions, my boyfriends parents dropped out of school in 8th and 9th grade and he completed a CNA course and became a certified nurse before the end of his junior year i believe. By that age most people didn't have a part time job and were still dependent on their parents.

They need to teach their children the world isn't going to be handed to them on a silver platter. The world needs ditch diggers too/

[edit on 11-4-2010 by ItsAgentScully]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Todays youth is in revolt...

We have law makers saying "WE NEED TO PROTECT OUR CHILDREN" "WE NEED TO DO THIS AND THAT FOR OUR CHILDREN"

they know how to trick people and lie they sure do

Todays economy is just a little sign about our politicians...they don't care about your children

How dare them say "OUR CHILDREN" they are wealthy and have nothing to worry about their children

America has every right to worry about their children though...We've been lied to again and again.

Wake up america - Your children are in grave danger. Oh i don't need to say that obviously we have people who realize that.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

I really must disagree with your attitude. I will not be racist but what happens when the immigrants come in and take that job for $9.00 an hour. It is good honest work. What is the matter with that? What happens if they take it and get to school and become a Doctor? Is that not the American way?

Someone with an ounce of self respect goes out and gets a job and works. They then go home and grumbel about the taxes. Whenever I employ anyone and want evidence that they have work experience and can get out of bed in the morning and if necessary tramp through 2 miles of snow if necessary.I got a saturday job aged 16 and have not looked back since. I have taken jobs waay beneath me as I do not want to sit around or do welfare.

When I was a youth leader in the UK I had one kid come in that was getting into a bit of minor crime. I try an avoid him nowadays as he ttries to hug me (ugghhh) and I don’t like man hugs. He took my advice about emigrating to the US. I suggested that he did so as he had neither wife nor kids (joke). He was Jamaican in origin. He went over to the US and held own two jobs for a couple of years and climbed up faster than he ever could in the UK. He was not good at school so he did some painting and decorating and got a regular wage.

Some peole do need to need to keep their eyes on the prize and just take any old job and move up.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Albastion
Maybe the youth just have different things that they value than your generation. Perhaps they are not motivated to do something unless they can clearly see the benefit of doing it and be getting tangible benefits for doing it. Maybe they don't want to work hard or behave at work because they perceive employment practices in this country to be predatory, and the salary barely being worth the time and effort of working. Adjusted to inflation, the minimum wage is almost half of what it was in the early 70's, so compensation is pretty low and most people can barely get by. Why should I care about an organization that tries to screw me over in every way, and doesn't care about me at all? To them we are replaceable, and these days there really is no incentive to work hard because you will still be viewed as expendable anyways.

I reject the claim that the youth are lazier than the older generation. How can you call the youth lazy when most members of the older generation can't be bothered to work the most basic forms of modern technology? I think it is pure intellectual laziness to be unable to attach a message to an email, but you would be surprised at the number of older people who are unable to do this. Probably not ATS'ers, but believe me, they are out there.

Watch out for people trying to push mandatory military service. This is America, we don't need any problem-reaction-solution crap designed to steal our rights based off of a flawed perception that the youth is lazy. Seriously, just try to force mandatory military service and I guarantee how stunned you will be at how un-lazy the American youth of today is. That sort of goes back to the youth having different values than the older generation.

One more thing: I don't think old people should be able to complain about the state of the youth when they as a voting bloc constantly support cuts in education and larger class sizes, just because voting for education doesn't directly benefit the old. All the political charades and apocalyptic hysteria have made the youth cynical, and they are slow to trust those who they previously held in authority. Can you blame us after we've witnessed major world events, like the invasion of Iraq, being shaped around lies? Your crappy decisions messed up this country and are sapping away our quality of life in the future, and we are mad about it. We do what we want, because clearly you also do what you want.
You're right

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Kingdom of darkness]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
When I saw what kids were up to 10 years ago I knew I wasn't having any. For a child to be "wrong" or "Lazy" you have to look at the generation that reared them.

The school of thought they helped create and the fickle values that pervaded the parents generation that carried on.

This is a slump that didn't just start its been going steady since world wars where popular and people ignored their need to pay heed to a contemplative eye to their personal futures.

Spiritual Truth and Personal Truth died somewhere.

Second issue is Public school. Really have you been able to audit a public classroom? Do you know whats being enforced and how children are given to either heed authority and "do" work rather then excel and follow their god given interests?

No their handed entertainment with thousands of flavors as a distraction. These distractions are more real and it keeps their minds off of getting out into the world on their own. Mobilize the next generation that they can make it THEIR world and they will.

Children can and have done this, their no more thoughtless or lazy then you where as a kid thought I have to agree on one point, they have ALOT more attention focused on them these days, probably not the right kind.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Just a question................do you have children Republican08?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I reject the claim that the youth are lazier than the older generation.

omg
rolmao
I love it.
What a great
phrase to use.
"I reject the claim"
The greatest thing about
this generation (that would had
been better off if they had never
been born) is they think they have
the authority to reject or accept things.

David Grouchy

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I have found that anyone, young or old, tends to be motivated when they are entrusted with a challenge.

I too have seen that the current generation tends to be less motivated at times about things about which I was strongly motivated, such as getting the drivers license. Just like anyone else, they have to see the benefit in it before they want to put in the effort. For my generation, a drivers license was the ticket to the first real freedoms, getting to go out and do what I wanted, with my friends, without any constraints. For the current generation, they are able to have private conversations with their friends all day long, by text or cell - privacy and freedom is not such an issue as it was for me. But they get very motivated by being given trust and encouragement and confidence that they can meet a challenge. My son was "recruited," right at the beginning of junior high, into a charter school with the incentive of being able to skip a grade and probably graduate early. By golly, he did skip a grade, and is graduating with honors and a scholarship for college. Before that, he was a mediocre student and getting him to do homework was a real struggle. I think he was just bored. My daughter-in-law has been told by her drafting teacher that she has a gift and she is very focused on getting into the architecture school when she goes to university, which you have to test into after the freshmen year. My son was one of the kids who did not have any real interest in learning to drive, but he did want to live in the dorm when he goes to college - guess what, he'll have to drive if he's gonna live on his own - lo and behold, he hauled ass and got his license.

I agree that every generation thinks the next one is lazy - it's just the cycle. Our kids will be complaining about their kids 20 years from now. They aren't really lazy, most of them, they just have different priorities.

For the couple of you who say you won't do a lick of work until it's worth your while, however, I have a question. Who are you living off of? Somebody is supporting you if you aren't supporting yourself. I've been working since I was 15 and 9 months and could get my work permit. It's insulting to me to see someone say they won't do something, because it is beneath them. I've worked every job you can think of, including jobs where I had to clean people's bottoms, to get to where I am today and I don't think any of it was beneath me - it was paying my dues. It's only the top entrepreneurial types who make it big right off the bat, and that is a certain personality type which most of us aren't. If you are, cheers to you, hope you do something to give back to the people who you are bumming off of now.

That said, I do agree with the other people who said the corporate world is a form of slavery and unfulfilling, that is 100% true. I am hoping the next generation changes the work world, more small businesses and more community instead of the suburban sprawl and long commutes we have now.

My generation feels like we've been working forever. We started as teenagers, worked through college, worked to get the house to raise the kids to save for their college, and now that they are heading off to college, we are getting health problems with our parents that we need to take care of. Our parents who are retired getting their pensions (which still existed when they retired) and their social security, and not experiencing the recession that we are suffering through. We are wondering when we will get to save some money for our own retirement, since the pensions don't exist anymore, or will we always be responsible for others, and never get to reap the benefits of all our own hard work. The thrill of moving up the ladder is pretty much gone at this point, especially in the current economy. I've heard management lie so many times now and give people praise and excellent evaluations just to fire them the next week. I'm just saying.

[edit on 11-0420104-1010 by gwynnhwyfar]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Originally posted by Wookiep
I don't think this will last long. The "lazy" person will soon have to find themselves actually having to *walk* soon whether they like it or not.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Wookiep]

I think you are wrong here....

Society will try to bend itself to meet the needs of the LAZY...

Thanks for emphasizing that with me

As for the big people, if I see a fat guy/gal jogging on the road, I think extremely highly of them, one for the courage, two for the drive and motivation. But I feel like flipping out when I hear a heavy set person saying their too embarrassed to jog in public so they won't!!!!

@DI

What's wrong with the kids? Their parents.

That's probably dead on, only a few I can think of, actually have parents that really tried to instill good work ethic in them.

When I was in college I ran 9 miles a day. I went before I went to sleep and I put in 6 miles before I went to bed. When I woke up I went out and ran 3 miles. Me and my roomie did this almost every day and We couldn't gain weight to save our lives...

What You said about not running in public is hogwash... Everytime I went running there was no one at the park. No one to look at my skinny ass and no way I could feel embarrassed. Now I work on boats 9 months a year and I regret not having the chance to run like everyone else and not having the freedom to do so..

Now I'm fatter and lazier but then again my job is a desk job and I work long hours unlike most people. So yes some people might call me lazy but when the work needs to be done I get to it and get it done quickly so I can then be lazy afterward.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
SnFed immediatly.

Long time since I've seen a good one from you 08.
You sure lowered the boom on this one.
I could go on such a rant about kids today. I install glass in storefronts,
industrials, and highrises. Glazer. when I broke in to the trade mid 80s.
As an apprentice I catered to the journeymen that were teaching me a
fairly dangerous lifetime career.

I rolled out and up the cords. I had to make sure they had everything
they needed. If something was forgotten I was the one who had to gopher. In between all of that I found time to learn the trade. I respected
the journeymen. I've been a journeyman for a long time now and I
wouldn't even be bragging to say there are none like I was. Let me say
that again. None. The best kid I've seen coming in to the trade in ten years as far as white boys go.
He couldn't stay off of his cell phone long enough to learn anything.l
I just gave up trying to show em anything.
They think their suppose to be able to talk on the phone all day.
But the difference in just 20 yrs is really an amazing thing for me.
I mean I just walk away shakeing my head in disbelief. Lazy dosn't
begin to describe the crap I've seen and put up with. Gawd! it's awful.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

just thought id say i live in the uk i got mode redundant in feb and im 21. im looking every day for a job. not all youth are bad its just bad parenting imo. most parents let their kids run riot and dont apply enough morals on them.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
WHY THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just happen to be 14 ya know! holy crap, like i actually do work, am trying to get my permit (just need to get a day to do the test), cook, clean, am getting ready to get a summer job, etc.

i live on a ranch where we raise registered Quarter horses, Angus, Charolais, Hereford (unimportant breed, ha!) cattle, and sheep. i help feed, bathe (for showing), water, ride, break to ride and lead, etc.

i cook for our family, and also clean around our house.

where i live, 14 is the legal driving age, just so ya know, as it also is for working part-time.

so ya, i am a shining beacon inside the dark world of today. . .

and saying that all guys are more chicks then dudes?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? THANKS FOR THAT TOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
ya, like we dont know how to fight, and, god forbid, TESTOSTERONE IS DISAPPEARING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD! i've only read the first few posts but these already have me thoroughly P****D!!!!!!!

------------------------------------RANT OFF---------------------------------------

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by J1ll1an

I think it has to do with how they are raised. I believe a child needs to be cut off when they are at working age. When they are old enough to work they need to understand work gets You what You want. When You give a child everything they begin to expect everything. They hold their hands out instead of going out and taking what they want. I was let go at a early age and had to work for the things I wanted. I grew up in a middle class home and turned out very different from my cousins. My cousins had a wealthy grand parent that gave them everything. Now in their 30's they have nothing that hasn't been given to them and are pretty much major loosers. Hell one of them was a crack head bum for years until His mother bought Him a 2000 sqft. brick house to get him off the street...

I on the other hand had a mother that couldn't help Me and never had a father. I have no one to turn to and the buck stops with me. I am the master of my own destiny and no one controls it either. I have plenty of motivation to work and to work hard. The motivation is starvation and homelessness which I have felt in the past. I refuse to have my child going without and that gives me the uuummmmph to get off my #ing ass unlike the Obama voters...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

THANKS FOR THAT TOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Behold,
the grace and class
exhibited when denied anything.
The above doesn't read like someone
who enjoys work, but one who uses their
work to exhibit the power of their maryterdom.
Do you know what old people in retirement homes
miss the most? They miss work, their gardens, and chores.
Go ahead and breath that fire. Burn the world down because u mad.

David Grouchy

[edit on 11-4-2010 by davidgrouchy]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I turned 16 in December and I am planning to get a job in the summer at my Dad's business and keeping it, and I'm now starting to study to get my license, although I don't see a point in it since I have a perfectly fine bike to ride. I don't see why you're complaining about the lack of a drivers license when people can ride a bike. It's a whole lot less than a car+gas. I only use it when I'm going more than 30 minutes walking away from home. Also, if the trip is too long for the bike, my town has a bus system with the whole state so I'm good I think. I only want to get a drivers license so I can go on trips with my freinds and help with the driving. My freind is 15 and illegally drives his mom's van around, and I hate being in the car with him when he does. He says he has been drving since he was 13 which is crazy I think.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by vesta

Second time -

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join