It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with the youth?!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Gentill Abdulla

Here is the truth.

Parents are a pain in the arse.

All parents question, carry on and punish.

The best thing to do is get out and do something.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Hi Republican,

firstly I would like to say that I feel 'National Service should be brought in/back to as many countries as possible.

A year or two in the Army would teach those youngsters some respect for sure.

So what's wrong with the youth?.........

1/ lack of respect for anyone/anything
2/ dependance on technology
3/ dependance on junk food
4/ inability to listen/learn

etc etc etc .............

I tend to get sidetracked a lot when answering these kind of questions that you raised and forgive me if I end up on a huge rant!

I personally feel that the number 1 cause for the situation we are in with this, all over the planet, is parenting, or lack of parenting!

At an early age the kids pick up on exactly what 's going on with the parents. I.E - if the parents are going through a divorce, then lot's of young kids may play up at schoool and not behave as nice as they should.

These youngsters are like sponges and they can see whats going on, and feel it too.

It does start from a very early age I feel. Kids don't suddenly become teenagers then flip out and lose all care for anyone/anything.

Parents have a huge responsibility to know this and act on it from when their kids are young. Bring them up to have respect for People, for Nature and all it holds.

To learn their children manners to all people and look after their environment.

Parents have a responsibility to know that their own behaviour is picked up by their kids very very easily.

A responsibility to love their children throughout their lives.

-----------------------

I understand that some kids fall into bad company and occasionally there are times when kids make mistakes in life and have to get back on the straight and narrow. Not all the youth are bad

-----------------------

Me and my partner talk of this kind of thing lots. We have a young girl who is not quite school age yet, so upbringing is of prime importance. We talk of each others upbringings and how it has shaped us to who we are today.

when I was young, my parents were very strict. I was always the kid who had to be home before dark and was'nt allowed to venture far away from my house , unlike other kids.

My dad would come home from work and belt me if I had been bad to my mother.

I always hated them at the time, but you know what, I am so glad they did what they did, because it made me turn out alright in the end!!

I never thought I would say that, but i'm very relieved for the way they were.

Many of people whom i knew at school are either dead or in prison or on hard drugs (and im roughly 30 yrs old)

-----------------

What do kids do now?

they play playstation, i/pods, take drugs, etc etc

Gone are the days of playing with a football or going for adventures on your bicycle and other innocent things such as this.

5 year olds are being bought Laptops, Cellphones and signing up for Facebook Accounts!!!

---------------------

PARENTS have the power.

-----------------------

Sorry for ranting, had to get this off my chest!!

Please note, all the above is my own personal opinion, and i'm sure some of you may disagree. Please do not flame me for my own take on what I see. We all see things differently and are in different situations.

g

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
reply to post by Jordan_The_Maori

Hi Jordan,

I am sending you a message because you are a great thinker.

Jordan, you have friends (me) and you are brilliant.

Don't worry about that school stuff - try and do it but if not, no problems.

Yeh sweet, be good to hear from you.

Thanks
. Us Kiwi's look out for other eachother.

Yeah true aye, don't worry, I'll sort it out.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I came here to post another thread which I will do. Problem is what you are talking about affects my thread. Kids today have no guide on how to act. They have no anger because they have been taught to have no anger. They have been taught NOT to try! If you don't try you are the same as someone who does! There are no winners! I recently read, as have my co-workers, about how a man who made $30000 a year paid $3000 in taxes. And recieved $15000 back in refunds. Why work? WHY work when the government will GIVE you the money to match what you would have made working for free?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Imagine no family structure, broken down by needs ( work to supply the needs of the family, but the work doesn't allow time for the family) learning everything from TV ( totally desensitizing you) or games, and the internet ( a real cesspool of info for the kiddies) your parents have no time for you because they are always working to pay the bills ( vicious but true to many) school has become a dangerous place to be, the streets are too dangerous to allow a kid to play in. What does that leave the youth? A cold hearted world where folks go around shooting each other, beating each other down for fun, being as destructive and heartless as what they have watched or played on tv and games, because it is what they know.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Every generation, the eldest generation goes on about how lazy the younger generation is. Once the younger generation matures, they will rant about how lazy the younger generation is. It's a cycle.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Yes but whe you were young guess what. Some old F*rt was probably banging on about "the young people of today". "They wear their hair like this". "They dance to that music...".

It is a generational thing. We have just reached the age where we feel superior to those youths and maybe feel nervous aboutthe future. Guess what? Most of those youth will go ahead to make a meaning contribution to life. They will not allbe media celebrities but just ordinary Joes who have families, work etc.

Let them be stupid when they are young they can be sober citizens when they grow up

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5

Yes but whe you were young guess what. Some old F*rt was probably banging on about "the young people of today". "They wear their hair like this". "They dance to that music...".

It is a generational thing. We have just reached the age where we feel superior to those youths and maybe feel nervous aboutthe future. Guess what? Most of those youth will go ahead to make a meaning contribution to life. They will not allbe media celebrities but just ordinary Joes who have families, work etc.

Let them be stupid when they are young they can be sober citizens when they grow up

Star for virtually echoing my post

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Perhaps the youth of today no longer wish to participate in the current system. Perhaps it is an awakening of sorts. Perhaps they realize that working until the day you die is a waste of a life and borders on slavery. Perhaps they can see how the current working class is treated throughout the world. Perhaps they see the class system for what it is -- an absolute joke.

A few people at the very top, hoard all the riches for themselves, while the rest of us live pay check to pay check. Perhaps the youth of today can see the futility of it all. Perhaps they would rather enjoy the short time that they have been given here on earth, rather than piss it away performing the same tasks day after day after day, like an automaton. I can't really blame them. They are human beings after all.

In regards to obtaining a drivers license, perhaps a drivers licence just doesn't appeal to many in today's generation. Why would it? Factor in the high price of fuel, insurance, and the maintenance of the vehicle, and what exactly is the upside? It is just another form of slavery. I can get around on a bicycle just as efficiently, and save tens of thousands of dollars at the same time.

I think more and more people are realizing that the current system is a waste of their life. More and more people are choosing to fulfil their dreams instead, and to live for the moment. I say more power to them.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Generation E, for generation energy, environment, economics. and so on, but I call it Generation L, for LAZY!!!

Actually, They're called 'Gen Y'.

The problem here isn't with the youth, But with the Generation gap. Every 40years brings in another set of morals and exceptions which just happens to be against the morals of the previous generation. Hence the previous generation is labelled 'out-dated'.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Isosceles

Wish I could give you more stars for that one.

You explained in every way, what I have tried to, and could not.

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I agree totally...
Also its all about how everyone grew up and what era they grew up in.
for example, people that were teenagers during the 1930's right after the depression HAD to work hard because they knew they had to or else...
In the 40s the economy was booming again because the war brought jobs...
The 50 and 60's saw a rise in technology like no other and made people feel a purpose for their life because we had so many possibilties to look forward to.
the 70s and 80s continued to benefit from the possibilties that was created during the 50 and 60s such as automotive, computer, fashion and entertainment, and creation of highway systems etc...
That brings me to the 90s and 2000s- People started getting the benefits from all this time of hard work and dedication...in the 90's and early 2000s there still were alot of jobs but more of the lazy jobs like computer, telemarketing, office like jobs...also the feeling of complacency started to settle in because we were at the peak of are acheivements...little did we know we were settin ourselves up for disaster feeling complacent because this rubbed off on the generation that was watching instead of the old hard working ways that got us where we were.
Now all that combined with the factor of the economy, we will end up going back to the hard working days probably with a new government and a new monatery system..
man aint life great!

my 2 cents...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I'll tell you what, anyone with an ounce of self respect would rather be unemployed than work at a gas station, fast food restaurant or walmart if at all possible. You know why? Because people will look down on them, call them "pathetics" and not give a damn how their "work ethic" shows.

I am almost 25 an have NEVER HAD A JOB. I have applied, but no one will hire someone on SSI (put on it at 16) and part time is damn near impossible to find unless you want to mop a mcdonalds floor. So you know what? I'm not doing SQUAT until I have the credentials or opportunity to make more than ten dollars an hour (which I do online).

Having known people who have busted their behind all their life and still are just one check away from street, I say screw that, I want better for myself.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I have been forced to take care of myself when I was young, my father drank so needed to make my own food etc, tho I played computergames to get away from my life and my mother worked nights so I like taking care of myself now, all I want is to get out of school and start to work (plumbing
), I hate to be dependent on my parents for money, it makes me feel vulnerable.
Noone is like me, I know a guy in my class that get's everything handed to him, sits at his computer all the time, never does homework but his parents spoils him, he never needs to move out, they say they will throw him out but god dammit, they pick him up after being out partying at around 3-4 a.m.! He can't walk 2-3km home! My girlfriend is smart as hell and she has good grades but she is so impractical it make me so sad
Her mother only made her study all the time never cook, clean or anything. I'm impressed she even knows how to use the microwave... And I get pissed when they make me seem like a freak 'cause I want to work and be independent of others but I will laugh in their faces when they won't get a job or the gov. comes to take their stuff for not paying the bill! HA!

[edit on 11-4-2010 by svante]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

i'm 21, but i've always been much more traditional than my peers. grew up in an atheistic house, god was banished from the household my entire childhood. mainly saying that because atheism from my point of view is very hard on a person, from everyone i met they seek assurance for their views much more than a christian, who is ignorantly (either in a good or bad way) certain of their existence, they are much happier and successful at finding theirselves (albeit not as much of theirselves as they could in a more existential view on life, but its still assurance.)

people have lost morality, everyone i know listens to the same music, have the same lost view on life, and also usually have a feeling of not having a place in the world.

from my point of view girls have gotten hit worse, with the genders balancing out; even more independence for the gender who have always been the benchmark of our human morality.

lady gaga and lil wayne own us. lol

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
I'll tell you what, anyone with an ounce of self respect would rather be unemployed than work at a gas station, fast food restaurant or walmart if at all possible. You know why? Because people will look down on them, call them "pathetics" and not give a damn how their "work ethic" shows.

I am almost 25 an have NEVER HAD A JOB. I have applied, but no one will hire someone on SSI (put on it at 16) and part time is damn near impossible to find unless you want to mop a mcdonalds floor. So you know what? I'm not doing SQUAT until I have the credentials or opportunity to make more than ten dollars an hour (which I do online).

Having known people who have busted their behind all their life and still are just one check away from street, I say screw that, I want better for myself.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

Nice cop out!! Good luck! If you're 25 and have no experience yet, your job search will not get any easier. I wouldn't look twice at your one paragraph resume.

Jobs build character no matter how menial. I got the menial jobs out of the way when I was young and I wouldn't change a thing. A summer of flipping burgers at McDonalds taught me more than I thought it would.

If you play your cards right maybe you can get hired as a neurosurgeon when the nation experiences a shortage of doctors. Go buy yourself an Operation board game and get practicing.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
"We are the youth We'll take your fascism away.
We are the youth Apologise for another day.
We are the youth And politicians are so sure.
We are the youth And we are knocking on death's door.

Never knew we were living in a world
With a mind that could be so sure.
With a mind that could be so small.
And the world is an open court.
Maybe we don't want to live in a world
Where innocence is so short.
We'll make it up to you
in the year 2000 with..."

(Anthem For The Year 2000 by Silverchair.)

I don't think older generations took Daniel John's warning too seriously. Maybe that is why there is much wrong with youth today?

[edit on 11/4/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Well, I'm going to have to mention diet. I'm sure there's plenty of reasons, but eating junk foods and being nutrient deficient will cause apathy & lethargy. Not only this, but synthetic chemicals are screwing us up hormonally. Testosterone counts are dwindling in men, and they are also getting exnoestrogens turning them somewhat feminine. On the flipside, synthetic chemicals are also causing women to go through adolescence at earlier ages, and they are becoming more masculine. It's not a natural thing, and are bodies are probably having a rough time adjusting. I also think electromagnetic pollution has something to do with this as well. If you're in the city, you're constantly being bombarded with numerous sources of EM smog.

reply to post by SmokeandShadow

Hey, I agree. I have a ton of energy, and didn't wait a week passed age 16 to get my license, but after age driving around, I decided to never work for a crap job again. I started working at 14 at Arby's illegally, then moved on to a grocery store, then said screw that! At age 17, I learned how hard it was to get a good job without a degree. School bored me to death, so I was SOL. I really wish you could still get a good job from taking an aptitude/IQ test. It really ticks me off that college degrees are thought as a requirement for competancy into higher paying jobs these days. Most degrees and college courses are a JOKE!

[edit on 11-4-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Everything is fine, no natural laws are being broken.
There's nothing wrong. The system seeks Equilibrium.
Separate the factual from the judgemental and the problem disappears.
Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

gj

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I think what you and everybody else have taken notice of is that there are many diverse groups of people in our society. There have always been the lazy, unmotivated person content with their position in life.

There were plenty of lazy people in the 60s and 70s, but technology has started to make life much more simple and convenient. In 1970, there was 200 million people in the U.S. Today there is 300+ million. Everything is more crowded, and if there is a 5-10% drop out rate in high school then there are a ton more underachievers than 30-40 years ago. Everyone's social group, class, rank, or niche is growing and changing.

Sure there are millions of fat, lazy people with low self-confidence, but there are twenty to fifty times more people running the rat race and giving it their all. You really have the oppourtunity to do anything you want. Anything you can aspire and dream to do, or become can be accomplished. Everyone can do it. They may be in a difficult or fragile state at the moment when you see them, but nobody is ever lazy all the time. I bet a lot of them do extraordinary things that are never noticed as created by a lazy person because once they accomplish something they are no longer considered lazy.

The world is changing everyday, if you think it is going to stay the same as when you grew up, you are completely wrong. If most people started working at 16 twenty years ago, then technology and the amount of people on Earth has pushed the age of responsiblity conveniently back to 18 or even 20.

Our life spans are growing, we have more time to be kids and more time to be adults. Both are fun. As a kid you don't have responsiblity and worries. As an adult you have the oppourtunity to use your entity to prosper from the unlimited possiblities. Maybe, there are a lot more people that can't find out how to make the switch.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by tooo many pills]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join