It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tribal Engagement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
www.army.mil...

I'm Mostly Doing a short report on the above linked much longer paper, in hopes of enlightening some people, mainly military and civilian contractors. People who deal with natives all over the world, mostly Iraq and Afghanistan, that live in a tribal culture. A little bit about me, I was an Intelligence Analyst with the US Army. I bring this here mostly because this is what i saw as our biggest problem as a fighting force over seas. the general disrespect and dehumanizing of a people as a whole for what some extremists have done.
First thing to know is how a person say from Afghanistan views himself. First it is them-self, then their immediate family, extended family, tribe, a group of families (if there is one), sect of religion (sunni or shii, or others), muslims and finally maybe as a citizen of their country. Now look at most western cultures. Most of us take these things very differently. first still of course is family and extended family, some of might put religion in here or maybe a state/province, But most all of us are Americans, or Germans, or French. When you ask a similar question of an Afghan you are likely to get a great many answers. They are more likely name to their their tribe or sect of Islam. This is how they view all things. So when private billy bob goes kicking down haji's door because he wants to "kill him some sand 'n-word's", this leaves an impression. This happens to enough people and now they tell their Local Sheik or Imam (family or religious leaders) now what does that sheik think of the tribe they call the US Army. Now General so and so wants to work t

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by joel.ohman

For the sake of clarity, would you mind giving us a brief overview of what your duties as an Intelligence Analyst entailed? No sensitive details, just the sort of thing the job consisted of.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

in short we take intelligence from any source we can, study out enemy and for lack of a better term make educated guesses as to what they will do in certain circumstances. additionally we analyze that same info looking patterns, kinda like marketing analysis but focused on terrorism instead of market trends, we use all this information to try and determine who will by where and when, who do they know and who di the people they know, know. So on till you get a whole picture.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I just realized the last bit of my little thing didnt copy and paste i'll remedy that when i get the chance. also just to make things clear the above info is mostly speaking generally there are always exceptions to every rule.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Interesting.

So, in your personal view, does engaging different tribal groups in the same area often call for different strategies? For example, in the same relatively small area of Afghanistan, say, would you find yourself using vastly different strategies for different tribes?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Thanks for that clarification. Would I be right to think that, when the information has been collated, you write a report for officers responsible for planning operations?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Interesting.

So, in your personal view, does engaging different tribal groups in the same area often call for different strategies? For example, in the same relatively small area of Afghanistan, say, would you find yourself using vastly different strategies for different tribes?

That is not so easily answered. Yes and no, The same customs and traditions and mostly the culture are going to be the same. Not only do you want to make sure you treat them like people and with respect as deserved by their station, you would also need to know what is important to that particular person. Like anyone else individual motives are different, and also like everyone else you cant please everyone all the time so you need to pick battles you can win, both literally and figuratively.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum

Thanks for that clarification. Would I be right to think that, when the information has been collated, you write a report for officers responsible for planning operations?

Depends on the situation. We do Intelligence work every day to make sure we stay up on what is happening. Sometimes depending on the job you give daily, weekly, or monthly reports or maybe all of the above, sometimes more than once and sometimes with different objectives.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Well excuse me, but for somebody whose job was to communicate potentially important information in written reports, you haven't expressed yourself very articulately in the OP. I find myself wondering if you are sincere, or if the US Army is struggling to recruit...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
i told you that not everything was posted and i havent been home to post the rest.. im doing all the little replys from my cell phone. i dont feel like editing and finish my little thing over my cell phone. when i get to my computer you'll get the rest.

top topics

join