It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black hole twins spew gravitational waves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
physicsworld.com...

Quote from source:
Astronomers could be on the cusp of detecting gravitational waves after four decades of trying, according to a team of Polish astrophysicists. If correct it would open up a new window to the cosmos, allowing astronomers to see the universe with fresh eyes.

Unlike waves of light which travel through space, gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space–time itself. Sources of these waves, which were predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity, include binary systems of compact objects such as neutron stars and black holes. As one of the duo inspirals toward the other, gravitational waves propagate out into space.
Searches for gravitational waves, such as the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO), have concentrated on binary systems of two neutron stars because they were thought to be more numerous, despite being weaker sources than rarer double black hole systems.

Wrong decision

However, a team of researchers, led by Chris Belczynski of the Los Alamos National Laboratory, report that these projects have taken the wrong option, saying that double black hole systems may be far more common than previously thought. The reason is related to stars' metallicity, which is the fraction of elements that are heavier than helium. The lower the metallicity the less mass is lost at the end of the star's life and therefore the black holes that form are more likely to survive to become a black hole binary.

I thought I would share this with the rest of you interested in this stuff. I cannot wait until the theory is either proven or not. I personally think there is gravitational waves and once we figure out how they work we will be able to better understand gravity.

And if we can understand gravity better than that helps us in quantum mechanics. We could possibly be on the cusp of a UFT. Interesting times people, interesting times.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

join