It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family sees mother strangled by hijab in freak go-karting accident

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Little [white] kids die all the time at playgrounds (and basically anywhere else) when the drawstrings on their hooded shirts get caught on something and the kids are strangled...

Are you idiots going to come out and blame it all on america's complacency or christians, or the donwfall of our culture...or will you allow it to remain a freak accident?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

The laces on this one pair of shoes I owned, for one reason or another, would always untie themselves. People, who were concerned for my safety, would often point out that my laces were untied when I wore these shoes. I would thank them for my concern because it is dangerous to walk around with untied laces. I would come off as arrogant or ungrateful if I told this people to go screw themselves.

I know much of the anti-burqa rhetoric may be tinged by xenophobia, but many people are genuinely concerned about the well being of these women. Women who go about in burqas are not only more likely to get into accidents that can affect their physical well being, they are also being harmed psychologically and socially. They are not getting the chance to fully participate in modern society.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Quit using this for a political agenda. It clearly states in the article many cases of non-Muslim women having the same thing happen to them in different cases.

A WorkCover NSW spokesman today said investigators had placed prohibition notices on two go-karts at the track.

One was for an unregistered go-kart and another for a go-kart "that did not have significant guarding", the spokesman said.

Go-karts are "classified as amusement devices that have to be registered for safety purposes", he said.

The owner of Port Stephens Go-Karts said she did not want to comment.

In February, a 15-year-old British schoolgirl was strangled to death when her scarf was caught in a go-kart wheel in Hong Kong.

In December, an 18-year-old girl in Cambridge, England, died after her scarf got stuck in a go-kart engine and strangled her.

Renowned dancer Isadora Duncan was strangled to death in 1927 when the scarf she had on was entangled in a convertible's rear wheel.

Directly from the news article.

The OP is being nothing but racist.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Phlynx]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Whats most upsetting is they are investigating the carts and safety issues. Hey idiots...when you wear something long and floppy around OPEN WHEELED vehicles, your asking for something tragic to happen. I won't bash her religion, that was her choice...just like it was her choice to wear her hijab....an accident occured..its easy to see what happened. I just hope some fly by night ahole doesn't think their is a civil suit from all this, or that this is somehow the business's fault. COMMON SENSE rules the day and if your not willing to say HEY, this thing might get caught up in here and end up hurting me/killing me....then there is only ONE person to blame....YOURSELF!!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
My religion requires me to always wear a very long scarf, extra long sleeves, and baggy pants.. yes, even when I am operating a band saw.

It's it REALLY going to be "sad" when I get in front of that band saw and cut a few things off of myself because my religious clothing "just happened, out of SHEER COINCIDENCE AND FREAK ACCIDENT" got caught in the saw?

No, I don't think so.

The SAD thing here is that "religion" trumps practical safety and common sense.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by RestingInPieces]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
Quit using this for a political agenda. It clearly states in the article many cases of non-Muslim women having the same thing happen to them in different cases.

A WorkCover NSW spokesman today said investigators had placed prohibition notices on two go-karts at the track.

One was for an unregistered go-kart and another for a go-kart "that did not have significant guarding", the spokesman said.

Go-karts are "classified as amusement devices that have to be registered for safety purposes", he said.

The owner of Port Stephens Go-Karts said she did not want to comment.

In February, a 15-year-old British schoolgirl was strangled to death when her scarf was caught in a go-kart wheel in Hong Kong.

In December, an 18-year-old girl in Cambridge, England, died after her scarf got stuck in a go-kart engine and strangled her.

Renowned dancer Isadora Duncan was strangled to death in 1927 when the scarf she had on was entangled in a convertible's rear wheel.

Directly from the news article.

... toward the race of muslims???

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

I take offense at your uneducated assumption

My thread has nothing to do with a race of people, where do you people get off by throwing the "R" word around like its a show stopper

Politics has nothing to do with this story all has it
if the owners had the right(with out vilification such as your statement above) to tell this person you can't get in a go-kart wearing your hijab things would of been different but because the rights of a few out-way the majority, Safety issues maybe of a lesser concern.

Zelong.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
It's funny how you people are all for FREEDOM, until you come across somebody you don't like. Then it's all of a sudden your job to control what kind of clothes they wear.

Your version of freedom is a joke, and you are liars for claiming that you love freedom, if you support controlling what other people should wear.

Not to mention a hajib is far different than a burqa, yet you like to equate the 2. Finally, it's all these womens choice to wear it. How would you like it if somebody said that you can't wear a skirt, because it might get caught in a bike wheel.

OR OMG!! BETTER BAN MOTORCYCLES!!!! TOO MANY PEOPLE DIE ON THEM.

Don't lie, you love the nanny state. You hate freedom. You are just eurocentric crusaders who think you are morally superior than every society on earth which doesn't have western norms. Anyone else is inferior, and needs to change to make you happy.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by denialofignoranceattack]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

Zelong, your signature contains the highest level of irony. You are trying to STOP the internet censorship in Australia, yet claiming that women should not be allowed to wear a piece of cloth on their head, simply because it upsets you to look at it!!!

You are just as much of a fascist as the Australian government, probably even more so. They don't try to dictate what people can and can't wear.

Lastly, what about in the winter-time? Can women still not wear a scarf on their head then? Should it be banned? Or is it only OK for white women to wear a scarf?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
People have a right to wear what they want...however, when common sense does not accompany the attire worn...expect problems.

I have seen and heard enough here in rural NC about loose clothes, long hair and machinary to know that the two do not go together.

Nothing like having your head pulled into a PTO shaft on the back of a tractor because you had a right to wear LOOSE long hair,

or having the seat of your britches and everything in them get caught in a PTO shaft on the rear of a tractor because you had a right to LOOSE britches.

Maybe getting your loose unbuttoned shirt caught on a log as it gets pulled into a chipper is a right you may want to exercise?

Don't want to wear that helmet because it is too hot...fine, until a chunk of wood gets kicked back out of the chipper and cold cocks you.

So, this woman had a right to wear what she wanted... around power equipment.... and died exercising her right.

God Bless her.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Strange.. a few months back in England a go-cart track employee sneaked his girlfriend and her friends into work after hours and one of them was wearing a scarf. they died in exactly the same circumstances.

I think tragic is the word that describes an incident like this best.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by denialofignoranceattack

I feel it's got nothing to do with your statements denialofignoranceattack.
This really is a Safety issue here and pretty much from work safety code and it's set in place so as folks like this Lady are made aware of the dangers of rotating moving machinery around loose clothing.

Zelong.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
wonder what would happen if a nun was out at some event with children and this happened to her, it would most likely be un-noticable, at least in the same context as this is being seen, get a life morons!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherbob
wonder what would happen if a nun was out at some event with children and this happened to her, it would most likely be un-noticable, at least in the same context as this is being seen, get a life morons!

Great example butcherbob
because the operators would/could say Mother we can not allow you in a go-kart because your Head-Ware is Dangerous and you'll find Mother will Smile and take it off and put a head band on; no-worrys. Because it is a safety issue. Now if you tell a Women to remove her hijab a riot will start. That's the fact of the matter.

Zelong.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Don't believe this is a Safety issue still? well there's another thread with the same issues here: Muslim nurses CAN cover up... but Christian colleagues can't wear crucifixes make up your own mind.

Zelong.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This woman went to a place of business that has rules about what you can and cannot wear. She broke the rules and died because of it. She didnt die because her rights were violated or because she's muslim. She died because she was stupid.

She does not have the right to ignore rules like they don't apply to her. She was told why the rule was in place, but took off in the go-kart anyway. Her fault. 100%.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This is such a perfect example. To the muslims that were fighting in the theme park when the park operators asked them not to where their head scarfs for safety reasons.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It sucks but this is precisely why that other woman wasnt allowed to go on the rides until she took her head dress off.

That was a perfect example of sanity of PCness, this is the opposite.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
My first thought was "Wait, how did she was allowed to drive with all these clothes?"
My next was "Wait, there are no safety regulations on Go-Kart tracks in other countries?"

Really, here in Germany, if you wan't to go on a Go-Kart track you have to dress in a safety suit and wear a helmet (they are of course provided by the operators of the track). Otherwise you aren't allowed to drive and it makes perfect sense to protect the drivers as good as possible as most of them are amateurs.
Why isn't that in other countries? If she was forced to wear a helmet i'm sure nothing would've happened.
Why do other countries have such bad or non-existant safety regulations?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

Here we go, more useless religion bashing and sterotyping.
All you people bashing her religion, shut the # up. She died and your using this as a time to insert your religious hate? Sure I'm not religious but I'm not going to bash her. As for your hoodie comment, that's just retarded. I wear a hooddie all the time, I have my hood up occasionally. Does that mean I'm an asshole whose going to beat people up? No, it's cold. Get a gripe.

You, and the few other posters.... ABSOLUTELY PITIFUL.

Also the owners should've enforced safety features. What this women did honestly wasn't the smartest idea. I understand it's her religion, but if she wants to do something safely, then she should take her hijab off.
edit on 2-9-2011 by thedeadwalkk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join