It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth About Psychiatry and the DSM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I have decided to make this thread in response to this one, since many people were merely replying without reading the posts that demonstrated that the initial article was grossly misrepresenting the facts. So, hopefully by giving this its own topic people will actually read it.

First off I would like to make a reply to that specific thread and then I will get more general. People were getting upset over the fact that being angry, amongst other things would be included within the DSM. However, what the article failed to address was that when they referred to being angry they actually were referring to something called intermittent explosive disorder. This is a disorder in which a person is prone to unprecipitated bouts of anger that can possibly result in violence. If a person suffers from this disorder they are not the only person affected by it. It also affects those around them such as friends, family, and co-workers and as a result relationships can placed under a great strain and a person's work may suffer to the point that they lose their job. In other words it significantly affects the person's ability to function normally.

This brings us to our next topic. One thing all disorders have in common in the DSM is that they all affect a person's ability to function normally. If you flip to any disorder on Axis I one of the symptoms will be similar to:

The avoidance, anxious anticipation, or distress in the feared social or performance situation(s) interferes significantly with the person's normal routine, occupational (academic) functioning, or social activities or relationships, or there is marked distress about having the phobia.

Except it will be specific to the disorder that is being discussed. So, the next time claims similar to those made in the original article come up remember that they are not a mental illness unless they are disrupting a person's regular routine.

Another thing I noticed in the other topic was that people seemed to think that by adding all these disorders, psychiatrists were acting on the part of a conspiracy to control the population through drugs. This is completely impossible however. First off a person goes to a psychiatrist under their own free will. These are people who suffer day after day and are forced to seek professional help. Even if you have the symptoms of a mental illness you don't have to see a psychiatrist if you don't want to. Of course there is the exception if you pose a threat to yourself or others. So, even if a disorder is added to the DSM and you fit the symptoms you don't have to do anything about it if you don't want to. And even if you do decide to see someone you don't have to take anything prescribed to you.

Then there's people complaining about psychiatrists prescribing drugs. Of course they're going to prescribe drugs, they're trained in a biological model just as doctors are and as a result they prescribe medication to deal with the biological factors that are causing the problem behavior. If you don't want a drug treatment then you can go see a clinical psychologist who are trained in behavioral and cognitive models and as a result they will attempt to get you to change your behaviors and thoughts as a means to overcome the disorder. Therefore, even if something is added to the DSM medication is not your only treatment. In fact many of the cognitive-behavioral therapies are just as effective as medication in most cases, but people decide to see psychiatrists instead.

So, I fail to see how psychiatry is a conspiracy when people are free to choose whether they want help or not; are free to choose what style of treatment they receive; and are free to choose whether or not they continue with the treatment. Furthermore, if a pill is ineffective at doing what it is designed to do it would never get through the FDA, and if it somehow did manage to it would be found out since once a pill is out on the market independent scientists will do studies of their own on its effectiveness that are published in peer-reviewed journals. So, if psychiatry is such a sham please provide evidence that the thousands upon thousands of peer-reviewed studies are false, that people truly have no choice on going to a psychiatrist and their treatment, not to mention the millions of people who admit that their lives were saved thanks to psychiatry.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I agree with you that there is no real conspiracy.

However, psychologists and psychiatrists go to schools that are heavily funded by the government and the pharmaceutical companies, and they learn what they are taught from these people.

Even when a doctor who does not want to rely only on medicine alone wants to set up a small clinic, what happens is the drug companies come hounding in and offer financial support if they give out their drugs to people and they succumb to the pressure. I've seen it - the drug reps come in the office with a whole bunch of free samples, and offer to take the whole office out to some fancy restaurant, showering the doctor with money and gifts - sell my drugs, sell my drugs!

So, when they are programmed into thinking that "medicine will fix things" it is not really their fault, however, it is their fault that they don't learn how to think for themselves and hold to their ideals. Every psychology teacher I've ever met worships the DSM as their Bible. They are all a bunch of religious nuts that don't question the dogma and doctrines that are shoved down their throats. They don't think outside the box, and they can't think for themselves. They are brainwashed.

I do think there is a conspiracy when it comes to the pharmaceutical companies, the FDA, etc. They KNOW that these meds are a bunch of BS and they just want to make money off the ignorant population.

Medicine does not fix anything, it attempts to temporarily cover up the symptoms or the problem, leaving the real issue untouched.

People have free will, yes, they choose to go to these doctors and take their medicine. But the only reason why is because these people are ignorant of the truth, and they are programmed to believe that these doctors are trained to help them, and they trust in the BS they are fed.

Are doctors all bad? No. But the majority are programmed just like the majority of the population.

Wake up sheeple!

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Kids dont have a choice. They will tell the parents that they need these drugs to function normally and there you go.. Zombies. Stripped from there individuality. Tell me, when 51% of kids are on those drugs, isnt it the other 49% that now become different? Screw them and their drugs. There is no way in hell that all those kids need to take pills. It's a money grab and a population control tool. That's it and that's all. Any one can go see 5 different phycs and they will have 5 different diags with 5 different prescription. It's a joke. They labotomize with pills now a days.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
By the way, I understand that it can be useful to classify certain disorders when they are causing a significant amount of stress and impairment in normal functioning, but where does it end?

Is it a disorder to lose your job? Get divorced?

Should there be a disorder called "Dead Parent Syndrome" ? How about Over-sleeping Syndrome? Is laziness a disorder?

Seriously, I understand that Intermittent Explosive Disorder causes a significant amount of stress and impairment in normal functioning, and that it is more than "just being angry" but what happens now when you label someone with this disorder is that they don't get the help they need - they now have an excuse to scream and yell and throw objects at peoples heads - "Well, it's not my fault, I was born with IED!" Sorry, but there is NO pill that will make you less angry and even with a typical cognitive-behavioral approach, they aren't getting to the root of the issues.

I think psychology needs to start over again, and seriously change the current paradigm.

We need to look at these disorders in a different way, in a new light, and we need to change our approach, our way of dealing with them.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BellaMente
Every psychology teacher I've ever met worships the DSM as their Bible. They are all a bunch of religious nuts that don't question the dogma and doctrines that are shoved down their throats. They don't think outside the box, and they can't think for themselves. They are brainwashed.

Agreed...

Speaking from experience, psychology/psychiatry is very much like a religion, and its practitioners show many of the attributes you see in religious zealots...

I find the claim that psychology in particular is science to be rather dubious...If psychology as it is today is science, then so is tarot, palm reading and astrology...

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Agree 100% with Grossac.

When I was younger I had a lot of family issues.

What happened was I started to rebel - big time.

What happened? Well I was forced to see 11 different psychologists and psychiatrists and they all had different labels for me: Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Bipolar, Conduct Disorder... The meds were switched every month and my mom would literally have to force them down my throat and check my mouth.

By the time I was 18, I had been arrested uncountable times, I had been to rehab 4 different times, to county jail 6 different times, and was on probation in 4 different cities with a warrant in another...

Guess what? I changed on my own...I was blessed to receive a spiritual awakening and miraculously was bailed out of jail, was miraculously let back into my last alternative high school, and miraculously graduated. I started doing voluntary community service, I landed a job as a math teacher at a small christian high school, and after all my court cases and probation violation hearings were settled (also miraculously - all felonies were dropped off my record and didn't go back to jail) I went to college a year later, were I decided to major in theoretical physics and learn 6 foreign languages, got straight A's in over 80 credits, received many recognitions, awards, scholarships ( one of which I was able to go to Italy for the summer), and then graduated as "The Most Distinguished Graduate of 2009" before coming here to Chicago to finish my journey. I am no longer the same girl I was when I was younger. I am in fact the complete opposite.

And none of this was due to any psychologist, psychiatrist, medicine, diagnosis, counseling, or therapy.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BellaMente

It's very refreshing to hear that. I dont know what the % of people that take pills but I'm sure that its rediculously taken advantage of. Most people I know take some prescription or another and a lot of them take a combination of meds. I am sure that if I were to go see a psychiatrist, he would find something wrong with me and give me something for it. It's impossible not to have anything from that DSM. I'm the type of person that doesnt get bothered by anything.. Bonne journee et bonne chance. ( I wonder if you learned French will all the linguistic schooling you did)

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
As a former senior level neurological sales representative, let me tell you about the DSM. The DSM is influenced by drug companies who must create new diseases to justify new drugs, extend patents on old drugs, and create profitable new disease states (social anxiety anyone?). Every person I know is diagnosable with a psychiatric condition according to the DSM.

Doctors must use the DSM diagnosis schedule for insurance reimbursement for themselves and their patients. The DSM can be manipulated by resourceful physicians to ensure their patients get the best drugs and extended treatment. Attorneys love the DSM. Many clients have escaped prosecution based on a clever legal defense using DSM diagnosis.

In conclusion, the DSM is used more to manipulate insurance and make money for drug companies, than to diagnose and treat a mental illness. Take a look at a DSM manual. You might be surprised how easy it would be for a physician to assign numerous mental illnesses to your normal daily behaviors.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by lostviking

As someone who suffered from social anxiety I can tell you is it's definitely a real disorder. When you're afraid to leave your room to go to class, when you're unable to make any kinds of relationships because you can't talk to people, when you're on the verge of a panic attack just for answering a simple question, self-medicating with alcohol and other drugs. These are things that impairs a person's life. Fortunately I was able to overcome this through psychotherapy alone, but not before I drank myself into oblivion one night and jumped off a balcony.

Also, the claim that criminals are constantly getting off due to insanity defenses is simply perpetuating a false myth. Out of all felony cases only 1% even attempt to go for an insanity defense and out of those 1% only 25% succeed. It's very hard to convince all the psychologists you have that end up seeing that you were insane at the time of the crime, unless you truly are insane. Just take the excellent example of the Kenneth Bianchi case. He had studied psychology and psychological disorders and was still unable to convince all the psychologists he saw that he had dissociative identity disorder. In fact, I believe he only convinced one out of all the ones he saw.

Also, to whoever says psychology is not science, have you ever read a psychological journal. Research psychologists are held to the same scientific method as every other scientist in the world. So, if they're following the same methodology as other scientists and are held to the same standards as other scientists, then logically one can claim that psychology is science. Psychology isn't all Freud, in fact he plays a very small role in psychology at large. I mean for most of the 20th century psychologists were focused entirely on behaviorism since at that time behaviors were the only thing that were observable, and thus testable. Psychology has always strived to hold itself to the same standards of other sciences from Wundt and James all the way up to Gazzaniga and Ramachandran.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Bravo and Standing Ovation! Thanks for making this thread. For people who are seriously interested in gaining understanding about psychiatry and The DSM they may find it here.

As for the others, one of my motto's in life has become:

You can tell people the truth, but you can't make them believe it.

new topics

top topics

join