It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Responding to a thread re-post !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
To all ATS members !

I was just yesterday made aware of the fact two threads of mine were already posted by others. Sorry about that.

This happens some times I've seen it happening that a thread of mine was posted. Wooo
if you could see the flags it got, posting the exact same thing.

What I see happening is that the posters on the other thread are usually all are different then the ones on the first one.

Some times there a three threads in progress ( all the same ) and you see the same member posting on every single one.

Why did I start this thread ?
After recieving some comments that really sounded like nagging trolls.
One of them even questioned my honesty. About my search ats button use. I use it every time I post a thread. Maybe once or twice I forgot.

So please quit bitching about it. Don't be a jerk.
Simply say it is a repost and give a link to the original thread.

Like ATS also says you should.

Stop questioning any members honesty and above all understand that humans make mistakes and simply can't see everything going on missing almost all detail we encounter.

The ATS search function is also far from perfect.
I hope this will be better with the new lay out and all.

So ! Again.

Quit bitching and be nice. Make love not war. Respect others ( not only their good points but also their mistakes.)

I wish you all much love. Deny ignorance

PS.
Deny ignorance starts with not ignoring ignorance. Point out a mistake in an easy to understand and respectful manner.

edit. ( correcting the title adding a p to responding.)
[edit on 10-4-2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I posted a thread similar to this

Only winding you up I do agree with your points people need to be a bit more kindly in these parts

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Fair enough, but I do think some people just don't bother to use the search function at all.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The search function is useful only when the search criteria is similiar than what has been posted.

If your using different words to describe the same thread, then of course it won't be on the search.

Then if you happen to forget....to search:

I think we are all human and make errors.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
Fair enough, but I do think some people just don't bother to use the search function at all.

You are right. But even if they did not. It is not a reason for not being polite IMO.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This is not directed at Sinter at all --

but there have been a TON of duplicate threads in the last week or so -- many of which were posted DAYS after the first.

I have a feeling some mods were on Easter break or Spring Break or whatever the PC term is and that's why they aren't being closed fast enough.

It is frustrating though. Especially when they have the same exact headline but are in different forums.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I know what you mean.

That's what happened to me. and the reason I made this thread.
My thread was already posted 2 days before. Funny thing was when I was thinking of what I should do about it, I found that the older thread was also a re-post. I didn't mention it tho.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
Especially when they have the same exact headline but are in different forums.

I don't know if this is what happened with the cases you've seen, but it ATS policy to allow one thread in "Breaking Alt News" and another thread in a subject forum on the same topic. It may also be the case with the other "Breaking News" forums. I think some people prefer to post in the subject forums because (in my opinion at least) you're more likely to get responses from people with a long-term interest in the topic, although you get fewer points and often fewer flags/stars.

edit to add response to OP: I agree with what you say. The search function is not perfect, we are all human and make mistakes. There's no reason to get nasty about it, just link in the other thread and contact a mod to see about getting one of them closed

[edit on 4/10/2010 by americandingbat]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
ATS allows dupe threads if one is in the "Breaking News" forum and another is in a topical forum. (a Mod explained this to me when I asked them to close my dupe thread once)

That explains why they don't close down all dupe threads.

I think the most honorable thing to do once you realize you've posted a dupe thread is to hit the "report" button on yourself and ask the Mods to close or delete the dupe thread.

I do it all the time. If I do it before there are any replies on the thread, they sometimes even dump the thread into the trash bin so I won't have to live with the shame of that dupe on my profile forever.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I did ad a post reply all new arguments were to be posted in the other thread.

The second thread where I found out it was a repost actually ending up in an entire different discussion.

Both of the threads were already a day or more old.
If I found out in time I would just edit it away.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

good one on the report button.

I feel badly when I do a double-post (and yes searched). I ask the Mod to close and post a note that another thread is active (first) and then post the link to that thread.

I S&F sometimes
. I will now report also.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Explanation: The ATS search function is a very POOR performer PERIOD!

Its not useless, but when compared with how Google performs it pales into near insignificance! Do try ATS search 1st and then confirm or deny by using Google OK!

Personal Disclosure: I note that Google has displayed Threads less than 1hr old and yet ATS search still doesn't display those threads for MONTHS afterwards!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

That's not really possible since ATS uses Google.

If Google's bot crawled and indexed an ATS thread, then it will show up on Google and ATS at the same time.

You'd get the same results from ATS' search engine by using Google and adding site:www.abovetopsecret.com in your search string.

[edit on 11/4/10 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

You're serious ! Just google for it ?

Boy is that a major turn off for the ats search.
I thought it is a google based engine. You would expect to work just as good.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Google crawls ATS amazingly quickly.

I started a thread earlier today, and less than 10 minutes later Google had already crawled and indexed it.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23
If Google's bot crawled and indexed an ATS thread, then it will show up on Google and ATS at the same time.

You would think so, but for some reason that's not always the case. I've searched before and not found a thread title using ATS search but found it instantly by going to google and searching from there. It doesn't make any sense, but it happens.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I too wish the search functioned better. I was searching for some stuff earlier and couldn't fnid it with the one ATS uses. WHy can't you use the real forum one? Site is too big or busy or something? I'm used to using vbulletin and its search is really good. I see you announced an update to the site, hope it includes the better search! I appreciate that maybe that's hard or impossible right now, but maybe one day.

Paul

new topics

top topics

join