It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ladies and Gentlemen..presenting...the YikeBike!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Have a look at this very cool design. 25km/hr, battery powered and folds up into a small bag. amazing!

It was designed in my home city of Christchurch, New Zealand and has just won a top award in the UK.

Hopefully this thing will be huge!!

Electric bikes – why would you? But apparently the market for power-boosted cycles is booming. A recent article in 'Business Week' reports that 23 million "e-bikes" were sold worldwide last year, a figure that is expected to double by 2012.

I look faintly ridiculous but the YikeBike is surprisingly nippy (15mph) and great fun. Drawbacks include run time (six miles between charges) and cost (more than £3,000).

If e-bikes are set to make inroads in our cities, then I don't think this wallet-busting curiosity will lead the charge, but its revolutionary design is turning heads and generating column inches – which is what e-bikes need if they're going to make it big

www.independent.co.uk... ng-with-dwarfism-1780658.html

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Very neat. I hope that this can bring revolution and new ideas for some people. Six miles isn't very much but in a city, if you can triple that mileage, you may have a necessity.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

You're right, I think we do need a similar thing that goes much further. i'm sure this won't be far away.

Maybe in 10yrs we will all be zooming around on something similar to the yikebike?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I was thinking great until i seen the 6 mile range. Perhaps it would work alright in a town but not around here.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
LOL - that thing wouldn't do so well over bumps. The shock wave gets transmitted right up through your spine = bad for your back.

How do you hop it up onto curbs? Where do you mount luggage?

What happens if you need to stop quickly, do you get launched forward as the bike tips forward?

Oh, and it costs $4500 - you won't be seeing many of these around town. You'll probably see more segways.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Well, it is a new design that will probably be improved over time.

It does not need to bump over kerbs or carry luggage, because it's not meant for this.

It's designed for use in the city for workers where there would be proper bike paths/bike lanes and no need for bumping up kerbs.

I think one of the main selling points for this is that it's very compact, compared to a segway. It can be carried in a small bag as seen in the video.

These designs are getting there, but still have some way to go.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The back wheel is too small. It can only be rode on smoooooooth surfaces with that small of a wheel. One hole or crack in the riders path and the rider will go flying.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
here's another good clip -

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Very cool

I would be concerned about safety myself

Launch onto your face,

also there is no frame to absorb or brake any sort of impact

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Nice ! All you would need is a second battery pack I would think to give it a 12 mile range. Very cool)

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Personally I think it's a terrible design.

Why not just make an electric bike designed like a normal bike?

Or, here's a thought, ride a bike?!

This thing looks like a huge flop to me. Why pay 4,500 bucks to go 15 MPH when I can ride a bike that fast anyway?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyPete

Geeeeze , i didnt see that price tag lol . Ok , that would buy a nice enough motorcycle , sounds like a better plan to me.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
There are a lot of cool electric bikes out there, a California company makes a very radical half circle design, but my favorite ones are designed by Prima in Italy.

Unfortunately there is no U.S. Importer or Distributor for them, so for the time being I am sticking with my traditional pedal bicycle.

I have taken it as far as 26 miles in one direction, so I have a pretty good range with it.

Here in flat and temperate Miami Beach, there are a sizable and noticeable number of bicycles on the road.

Easy and free to park anywhere, no insurance and no gasoline, and a good calorie burner, it’s really something to consider for especially single and health conscious people.

With a basket in front, and a cargo deck on back, it allows me to carry almost anything I need to purchase or transport on a day to day basis, equipped with lights for night riding, I have made it my primary and sole source of transportation for well over a year now.

Better still, it is almost impossible to be ticketed for any kind of code violation, and in high traffic congestion areas, I can actually get from point A to point B fast than most people driving.

Selling my car and getting a bicycle is one of the best things I have ever done. My only regret is I didn’t do it years earlier.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I am a biker at heart, building my own bikes and a motorcyclist as well.

This is a neat design, patterned off of the Safety bikes, called High wheelers of the late 1800's.

I like it but as many have said here, the 6 mile range is limiting factor.
You can ride a regular bicycle, even a small folding one 6 miles fairly quickly.

Due to the configuration, in a quick stop or collision you will become a projectile..

But for my next bike, I will consider an electric motorcycle called the Enertia, or Brammo Enertia out of Oregon.
It all US made AND also from recycled materials/plastics to boot !

It has a 40 mile range, and travels 15,000. miles on about $85. worth of electricity available from any 120V wall outlet.

$7995. and you get the state and federal tax incentives as well..

www.brammo.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Cool idea and great looks. But it does not look comfortable or safe. And i wonder how it manages ups and downs. Mainly ups. Like hills.....
For me ideal electric bike should be light, folds up into something that can be easily carried, with pedals to pedal when battery died/to charge it, and one that will not ruin my back. Oh, and not that expensive.
There were designs that had pedals and were comfy but were heavy and bulky.
This one is light and compact but has no pedals and appears not comfy.
All cost too much.
So i will keep waiting and use my usual bike (though lately i prefer buses).

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This bike might be nice for really short jaunts. My a$$ got sore just watching the video. Good thing it comes with a case so you can carry it when the battery goes dead when you're halfway to work.

My first thought was that this was invented by a guy who grew up poor. When he was 9, his parents couldn't afford to buy him a bike, so he had to ride around on the handlebars of his buddy's bike. Unfortunately he thought it was cool.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I agree the design has a way to go. In time we will have cheaper options that suit any given situation.

I mean some of us may only need to travel 6 miles, other 25miles. some may have hills and kerbs, while other may be on flat bike paths.

Like some of you have said, there are some better designs that travel further, and it won't be long before they get it right, and for an affordable price.

I think if this design were more affordable, it would certainly work in the right situation. Take the Netherlands for example :- the whole country is flat and built for bicycle use with great bike paths over the whole country. this sort of thing would work a treat there.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee

But for my next bike, I will consider an electric motorcycle called the Enertia, or Brammo Enertia out of Oregon.
It all US made AND also from recycled materials/plastics to boot !

That looks more practical than that handlebar scooter. I sold my bike because I was invisible to the moron drivers here, and I could be heard. I wonder how many fatalities will be racked up on a silent motorcycle.

Surely a more environmentally friendly way to die than on a Harley.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Not a bad idea, though, 6miles,$4500 dollars bad idea!

1. Can't wheelie
2. Prone to endos
3. Can't pick up chicks
4. No Sissy bar option
5. Mud and jumps are out of the question

Think I will stick to my Cannondales!

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'm all for any alternative transportation doing well.

Odd design, yet pretty cool over all. Wishing the yike luck.

[edit on 4/10/2010 by Clark Savage Jr.]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join