It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do people believe in god?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by BellaMente
There is an enormous amount of scientific evidence that this Universe is a giant Hologram and that our bodies and minds interpret experiences as a hologram interprets the non-local interference patterns recorded on the a piece of holographic film.

No offense but I would have to disagree with that analogy
due to the fact that your so called hologram is NOT interactive.
A hologram is an image of something projected. However,
when an individual is possessed with a demon. It is very
real and people do get hurt and even die. Therefore, they
could not die from a hologram because it is un-manifested
in physical form. Where as God can interact with us through
manifestations just as well as Satan can.
Unless you actually believe this world is like the movie
"The Matrix" where a body cannot live without the mind.
The Matrix is only a movie and should not be construed
as a basis for one's enlightenment.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90
hello ats i want to know why people believe in god

Questions need answers.

If answers do not come, then god does, because "god" is the answer to everything for some.

It saves having to consider explanations or embracing "acceptance" of the unknown.

Perhaps?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It cracks me up that atleast once a week someone has to start a thread asking why people believe in God. Hasn't this a topic been covered several several times?

I am so sorry that people believing in God has caused you so much grief that you feel you have to go out of your way and use your valuable time to post a thread about it.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Questions need answers.

If answers do not come, then god does, because "god" is the answer to everything for some.

It saves having to consider explanations or embracing "acceptance" of the unknown.

Perhaps?

Maybe for some, but not all

a wise man does not stop learning because he accepts
God. He uses his mind to explore the things God has not
informed us of yet. Seek and ye shall find.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Ugh

I am so sick of explaining this. I will copy my post I just made an hour ago - just for you.

The giant hologram *is* interactive.

I am sure you have heard of quantum mechanics, yes? Well, there are several interpretations of quantum mechanics, or several ontological approaches to quantum mechanics. There is the Copenhagen interpretation, Bohm's interpretation, the Many Worlds interpretation, etc. etc. there are many.

David Bohm's Interpretation makes the same predictions as the other interpretations, however the mathematical formalism of Bohm's theory is harder to work with, so by the principle of Occam's razor, more physicists naturally gravitate towards the Copenhagen interpretation. In addition, Bohm's theory would suggest that Quantum Mechanics is incomplete, and there is still work to be done on the theory itself. Ontologically, however, David Bohm's theory is very clear and also very interesting.

Basically, the universe is a giant hologram (a hologram is really a bunch of non-local interference patterns recorded on a piece of holographic film - when a laser is shone through the film, a 3D image forms) with an implicate order and an explicate order. The implicate order is the realm of the sub-quantum, and it is called the quantum potential (analogous to the vector potential of classical mechanics). This implicate order can be thought of as a different plane of existence, a higher dimension (or even a spiritual realm), and there also can be several further sub-levels or implicate orders. The explicate order is our 3D reality. Now, these two orders are constantly enfolding and unfolding into and out of each other, which explains such phenomena as an electron popping in and out of existence, entanglement, and the close-to-infinite amount of energy in a small region of space.

So in analogy to a hologram, the implicate order would be the non-local interference patterns on the holographic plate, and our reality would be the 3D holographic image.
The laser would be analogous to consciousness.

Holograms have many unique properties. One of these properties is that no matter how many times you cut the holographic film up into pieces, each piece will contain the entire image of the whole : each part contains the whole. Now, because of these holographic properties, Bohm's theory (especially when taken with Karl Pribram's holonomic brain model which shows how the brain functions as a hologram) can explain a lot of controversial phenomena that others cannot (i.e. mental illness, psychic abilities, medical miracles, ghost sightings, OBE's, NDE's, etc.) so it is definitely interesting to look into.

The each part contains the whole principle is found in many religions. Almost all eastern religions, and even western. For example, even in Christianity we find in the New Testament "The Kingdom of God is within you" and we find in both the Old and New Testaments "Ye are all little gods within the great God". Both of these examples imply the holographic recursiveness / fractal nature, or the "each part contains the whole" principle. We also happen to find this holographic principle in nature, specifically in mathematics - called phi, or the golden ratio. This number = 1.618033989... which is also the ratio of the whole to the larger as the larger is to the smaller, demonstrating the holographic property of recursion, has many unique mathematical properties in itself. It can also be represented as 1+1/1+1/1+1/1+1/1+1/1+1.... and so on to infinity, again demonstrating the holographic property of recursion. Phi is found all over nature and all over the universe, even still to this day making appearances in modern physics research, and has been known since the days of Ancient Greece through its contributions to aesthetics, and probably before that since it plays an important role in the construction of the Great Pyramids.

There is also a whole lot of modern physics research that suggests that the Universe is a giant hologram.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BellaMente

Hi did you read the thread ?All science is a lie

Don't judge it by it's title.
I thought it had .some interesting points.

Even considering some science is fundamentaly wrong and and everything that came out of it is wrong to. We would need to rethink the whole thing and change everything.
The holographic universe is still just a theory. Yet you speak of it as if it's the only one around that can possibly be true.
No offense I believe it to be the most plaussible I know of to this day.

Just saying...

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by scorps

Not saying that you said that, but why can't god be something else then the image that society has given him. Why can't he be the macrocosm. The life force that is all around us?

speak of the force you do young padawan

at least thats what it sounds like correct me if im wrong which im sure i am

ive read some very far fetched things about star wars and religion ill try to bring them up on another thread if i find the page again

but what it basically said was that the force is real and that god and christ are aliens and the religious holy books were not religious books at all and the evil empire is a metaphor for the earth empire or something and that the original star wars movies was a metaphor for real life that darth sidious was a metaphor for satan or the dark side of the force and darth vader was a metaphor for the ability to choose to come back to the good side of the force.

in some ways it can actually sound logical and in other ways it sounds like total BS but im leaning on total BS

i believe it was titled star wars fact not fiction google it if your interested

[edit on 10-4-2010 by ashanu90]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Brydaws

well then thats great and all but are you gonna offer up an answer or are you just going to dog the thread?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subconsciously Correct

If you tell me the world was created from particles of another universe, for example, I will just turn around and ask you how the other universe was created? It is a slippery slope argument and a pointless one if you ask me.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Subconsciously Correct]

well i believe you are refering to the watchmaker theory and i believe that takes us to a dead end the way you put it. i dont personnaly believe i n the watchmaker theory i was using it as an example

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BellaMente

Yes I certainly do believe that YOU believe everything
you just typed.

However, no science theory can account for
the faith/belief of an after-life.

no offense to you or to science

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I won't say anything important here because I don't believe the OP really exists. It's just an Athiest-bot, please ignore

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northwarden
I won't say anything important here because I don't believe the OP really exists. It's just an Athiest-bot, please ignore

that was a really douche thing to say dude
maybe i wont believe in you because your just a pissed off zealot bot
how about you actually answer the thread instead of saying things like that and maybe your not a religious person but plenty of religious people have discussed this thread and i dont think they were offended they just wanted to add their two cents.

dont feed the trolls ats

if you are religious then maybe you should post unto others as you would like to be posted

an age old saying practice what you preach

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Waa waa waa

Show some respect for God, then I'll give a damn what you say.

Peace out.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northwarden
Waa waa waa

Show some respect for God, then I'll give a damn what you say.

Peace out.

if you dont give a damn what i say then why do you continue to respond to this i think your an offended religious wierdo but lets let ats decide

hey ats is he a pissed off zealot?

touche response for a douche comment

[edit on 10-4-2010 by ashanu90]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
As a child I didn't understand who God was/is. As I grew, I came to know God. He is a guide through life, He provides me hope, He gives me direction, He gives me peace, He answers my prayers, God encourages us to grow, to ask questions, He doesn't mind us challenging Him.

When I look at the world, I see God in all it's beauty. The horrors of this world are of man.

I have seen him answer my prayers in concrete fashion, and provide opportunities to me.

God in many ways is like a UFO...nothing I say here will make you believe, but once you have encountered God...nothing will make you not believe.

As for the Bible...by way of archeology, history, cross referenced texts,science...the Bible is true and holds more merit thasn many want to give it.

For instance, Noah and family ate plants and dried foods, plus with all that water...might he have fished? Dried peas and wheat have been found in tombs dating back centuries and when planted...they sprouted. I suppose enough could have been stored to feed Noah and family for a year.

There were enough animals...2x2 and 7x7...to survive the trip...perchance extra were stored for feeding the carnivores... plus, if you cage and stall the animals properly, it is possible to house them for the entirety of the flood.

The sons all had wives of different lineage, thus it is possible to have large and intermarried families... not uncommon in royalty for centuries past. Further, the breakdown in DNA purity might explain why the lifespans have shortened since the days of Noah.

Further, you speculate that religion is a means of controll..in what fashion? How does a belief in God control me, what would I do differently if I didn't believe in God.... how much better is your life for not believing in God?

All the Christians I know and have known are smart, educated, have achieved differing levels of success, but success never the less...and most are critical thinkers and make their own decisions. Maybe I would be morally free to do what?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

RE:

why do people believe in god?

Because God, as a concept, is a future inevitability.

Cross-referencing the idea, linked above, against some of the worlds oldest holy texts exposes some uncanny similarities suggesting this isn't the first time this has happened.
  1. Tao/ Bā gùa/ I Ching, Kabbalah, Sufism, Bahá'í, Hindu Tantric, & Kabbalistic tie-ins v.1.9.3 (Fig. 2.3, 3.1, & 6)
  2. Judaic / Christian connection v1.9.8c (Fig. 2.2, 7, & 8)
The figures above reference a number of other diagrams all of which can be found here.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Strong personal experiences.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

i have heard of people speaking of spiritual encounters and meeting god but this could be hallucination due to electro magnetism or brain damage

These hallucinations and/or brain damages, do they pick and choose who they infect? Is there any reason at all to believe this would be the case? Millions, if not billions, of individuals claim supernatural encounters(of the spiritual sort) throughout their lives. I'd like to see a scientific study of just 1000 of these, and see what kind of similarities could be found to PERHAPS be the cause for such "hallucinations".

it is also my oppinion that religion is a brainwashing system for the masses to be controlled heres another video

Mainstream religion is agenda-based just like politics. It's easy to see that aspect of it, especially when considering the modern day Roman Catholic Church. That does not, in any way whatsoever, take any TRUTH or VALIDITY away from the message.

Look at anything that is mainstream and tell me that(radio, music, television, fashion, etc etc) doesn't exhibit some sort of "control" over individuals. Look at the popularity of things like twitter. That has been a tactic of human beings since the beginning of time, but it doesn't really CHANGE anything. That's just human nature. We take something(whether it's a message, a statement, a fashion, a job, a leadership position, whatever...) and use it to OUR ADVANTAGE. Anything to climb that ladder, ya'know? A lot of people don't care who they stop on, or what they deface, all in the name of "success". Government officials even LIE(or tell the truth...) about other candidates just to be voted in.

ive heard it said that the bible is historically acurate well yeah in alot of parts it is but then again its just a book and the OT which is a part of the bible i hope there is no confusion there says dragons and unicorns exist so its a bit hard to take the book seriously because of stuff like that

...never seen those verses....

there is the story of the flood where noah built an arc to save his family(and the human race) and the animals from being wiped out and that either two or seven worthy animals were chosen to go on the boat, what did noah eat? the animals? they needed to stay alive to continue their species. i seriously doubt noahs family starved for 40 days and 40 nights unless they brought a stockpile of food with them or asomething but in ancient times people had poor food preservation skills and i dont think food could stay fresh for 40 days outside a refrigerator. also remember the animals? well 2 or 7 wichever you choose would create a huge bottleneck due to inbreeding and we all know inbreeding causes health problems an d those animals would not survive in the wild after a while.(you say %90 of the animals taht existed on earth are extinct? well thats our dumbass fault with pollution and over hunting and general habitat destruction not inbreeding) also if we are all desendents of noah's family then we would be inbred retards and if noahs family is all thats left then they had to be participants of incest which was a big no no in the bible(even though there are plenty of acounts of this in the bible).

You have to understand the bible wasn't made to be a precise outline of everything that has happened to the earth since the day of creation. From the beginning it starts with a certain LINEAGE or bloodline. That's why it's BEGAT, BEGAT, BEGAT, BEGAT. This is all in the same family. Not anywhere in the Bible will you find anything even remotely INDICATING that Adam and Eve were THE ONLY creations. As for Noah and the ark, 2 of the unclean and 7 of the clean. Basic jewish stuff here....Anyways, as far as the flood and incest go...

Genesis 7:13
In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah's wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark;

You see, Noah's sons had wives, taken in wedlock before the flood. There is no reason to suspect incest.

the bible does contradict itself quite a bit and i cannot take it seriously

Most of which are common misconceptions thought to be contradictions. It's difficult to understand, I know. This is one of the reasons the Holy Spirit moves upon the face of the earth, even to this day....for knowledge....

some will say "well of course there is a god! why do you think we have a bible?"
because some guy(human being) wrote it with that logic allah must be real cause of the quoran or that the hindu gods must be real because of their hily books or that mormanism is true because of the book of morman. thats why that statement is a bit ridicoulous

I agree. That is ridiculous.

some will say as i have heard
"the bible says there will be many scoffers" well with some of these ridicoulous beliefs im not surprised
in old time it was said to be bad luck to take rings of someone elses fingers. this was probably a tactic to scare thieves same thing with the scoffers arguement

Even in old times, there was REASON to suspect that taking the rings from someone's fingers would cause BAD LUCK. Simple things like that, although mostly nonsense, really do have their roots in an actual event.

this is my favorite christian arguement "a watch implies a watchmaker therefore there must be a supreme designer" something to that extent
if that were true who designed the designer? remember a watch implies a watchmaker

He is the ONLY THING there is, was, or ever will be. He is EVERYTHING. He's not necessarily the DESIGNER, but think of Him more as THE DESIGN....It's hard when the english language is lacking in words that explain such things....

"god created itself" well in order to create you must first exist so no
"god just always was" im not buying that
"i dont question god" are you afraid your wrong?
"the big bang is proof that god created the universe" possibly but with the above statement of who created god? it just doesnt add up

Think of it like this....He is the DESIGN. Now with that in mind, does CHAOS or CHANCE HAPPENINGS have any prerequisites? According to this, "everything comes from something, and even that something comes from something else" argument....THERE WOULD NEVER BE ANYTHING, AT ALL, WE SIMPLY WOULDN'T EXIST.....It would be an infinite strawman and never have a single source...

well i think ive done a fairly good amount of ranting
im sure i will run into some pissed of zealots, offended religious people and people who think im attacking thier religion

I'm not pissed off, offended, or think that you're attacking my religion. In fact, I saw your questions as quite honest. I have a lot of atheist friends who stumble with the same things.

I don't want you to think that I'm here to change your mind. That's not what I'm here for. That's never been a goal of mine. You ask the questions, I give you the reasons that work for me. That's all that I can do. I hope you don't think I'm a fool for the reasons WHY I BELIEVE....

Respectfully,

A2D

edit to add: You remember when that lady said that Kobe Bryant sexually assuaulted her(or whatever the case was)? She had an agenda, yes? But, just because she had an ulterior-motive, does that mean she wasn't telling the truth?

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Agree2Disagree]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Allow me to answer with another question if you please. Why does anyone believe in anything?
You really must admit it's a silly question. From atheists you will get parrotted words drenched in the self righteous derisision of people like Dawkins and Harris. From theists you will get, I am sure, what you consider supernatural mumbo jumbo spoken by crazies. Or you'll consider it the self righteous parrotted comments from people like the Pope.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by BellaMente
There is a "god spot" in the brain, i.e. the area that lights up when people have mystical experiences.

But it is illogical to say that those mystical experiences are just the result of the brain.

First, why would we humans evolve an area in the brain where we can experience God or mystical experiences for no reason?

Second, if you say that spiritual experiences are not "real" because they occur in the brain, then you would have to say that our reality is not "real" because EVERYTHING we perceive occurs in the brain.

i disagree with you on that,i see the brain as a co-processor of information from all the senses,i believe that there is a"kakra"or energy centre that is outside the body but inside the etheric field[or electro-magnetic/auric]field that is the assemblage point for the senses,also,peoples interpretation of god is largely nonsensical,i think god-or the "all" as i like to describe it,is something that for humans is,unknowable,undefinable and can only be reasoned about,i also think that its not someone or some thing,rather its the co-hesive formula in the energy of matter[and spirit] that sustains and creates all of everything within the universe.by the way,i dont believe in religions,but i believe there is an underlying principle to all of existence,and god is a simple way to allude to such.[not that i know anything in the scheme of things i admit]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join