It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do people believe in god?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I think people believe in god because they aren't capable of believing in themselves (humanity) or their "natural divinity". A crass way of stating this is humans can't accept responsibility for their condition so they need an outside influence to be responsible - but like any other subjective banter, it's merely a conjecture, meaningless drivel. Believing in something greater than yourself seems to be a racial memory almost.

The faithful would conclude that they believe in god because it's truth.

gj

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Hmm...God.
What defines a God.
I believe there could be macro-organisms..aka, the universe is a single atom on the back of a giant turtle kinda thing

I believe advanced races out in space could easily create life, create even potentially matter from energy, even transcend physical beings and exist as little more than conscious energy with the power of the seeming universe at their beckoned call...I also believe the human race, should we keep progressing and not blow each other up in the process, will have this tech.

I guess, from that perspective, it may one day be possible to create a universe bubble for ourselves...would that make us a God or just a really freaking advanced lifeform.

Since I believe that its possible, then I must believe that its probable, and if its probable, then there is probably several deiitylike entities that are aware of our existance...so the question becomes, how much do they interfere with our planet/life.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
To the OP's argument about where God came from:

Let's say for the sake of argument only that there is not one infinite creator and life is just one huge coincidence of harmonious occurrences. What did anything come from? The whole "where did God come from" argument is pointless to me since the same exact argument can be used in evolution.

Eveything is here, and everything had to start from something, but what could it be? My spiritual beliefs have led me to believe in the one infinite creator, and his/her/its infinite energy has created all that is. I believe time exists as a creation of the human brain. I believe time is cyclical in that history repeats itself or changes based on what we do now later on. I do not believe time is linear. Just look at the timewave zero theory for example.

If you tell me the world was created from particles of another universe, for example, I will just turn around and ask you how the other universe was created? It is a slippery slope argument and a pointless one if you ask me.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Subconsciously Correct]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Of course the account in Genesis is not real! lmao

I am talking about spiritual experiences.

I am saying that spiritual experiences can be taken to be as real as our reality, not religious fables and myths.

Remember! The Universe is a giant hologram! The reality we perceive, the spiritual experiences we have, the dreams, hallucinations etc. are only interpretations/projections of the nonlocal interference patterns of energy.

What is God? Maybe God is this infinite all-pervasive energy. After all, energy is the only infinite thing we know of...

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

“If there were no God, it would have been necessary to invent him.”
Voltaire

The world in general needs hope, even if that hope
only comes in the end times knowing that
you're gonna win the battle. God offers that hope
to mankind in the form of salvation and a blissful
eternity. A world without hope is doomed.

God fills that need of man.

And I agree with some here that religion is a way
to control the masses. But that control is more
along the lines of guidance in the right direction.
It's like pin the tail on the donkey. Once the child
is blindfolded, he/she is in darkness and cannot
see where the donkey is. Someone has to turn
their shoulders in the direction of the donkey
else they wonder around in darkness til hope
fades away and they give up, no hope.
But still, mankind in his journey needs guidance
along his path. This is the role that religion offers.

While I also agree that some use that guidance
for personal agendas, for the most part, the system
works for the masses. No man is perfect and we all
make mistakes and should be forgiven if repentance
is truly sought. He who cannot forgive will not be
forgiven himself.

Where would this world be today
if it did not have hope?

And your discrepancies in the Bible only prove
one point. That not all men see or understand
what is offered to them. If you take 20 eyewitnesses
to an accident, you're gonna get 20 different opinions
of what actually occurred. The Bible is no different.
That's why you have some books in the Bible
discrediting others. But overall, the Bible was never
meant to be a perfect book but a basis of the interpretations
of God as witnessed by imperfect men whom God chose
to do his will.

I am a Christian and I do believe in God.
And my faith will overcome any obstacle.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
I think people believe in god because they aren't capable of believing in themselves (humanity) or their "natural divinity". A crass way of stating this is humans can't accept responsibility for their condition so they need an outside influence to be responsible - but like any other subjective banter, it's merely a conjecture, meaningless drivel. Believing in something greater than yourself seems to be a racial memory almost.

The faithful would conclude that they believe in god because it's truth.

gj

Why is it that whenever someone says god, that someone immediately thinks big man up in the clouds, with a beard that is extremely vindictive.

Not saying that you said that, but why can't god be something else then the image that society has given him. Why can't he be the macrocosm. The life force that is all around us? You are right that we do have a divinty of ourselves that is the mircocosm, but to say that we are gods on our own terms... highly possible in my sight, but because I believe in a soul that enters the body. People seem so quick to portray god as the big brother that will hold your hand, and the other side who don't share these beliefs are quick to point out weakness in the other.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think Noah had a manna machine ( replicator, star trek )on board just like in the exodus story.

I think people believe in God because we are not really capable to grasp the idea that we ( or consious ) just seizes to exist. Because we use our conscious to think with in the first place.

Along with the unexplained experiences people have and what Bella Monte already said about why we would have a piece of brain for it in the first place.

There are some theories explaining all things are in continuing contact with everything. ( quantum physics )
Speculation about the universe itself has a consiousnes.

Are all reasons why.
Not because we can blame something else for our mistakes but to explain what we do not understand. The blaming is almost only in Christianity and they blame the devil for their own crimes.

I believe faith and spiritual ways are so imbedded in our and even the animal world, you can not just ignore it. ( Animal world as a providing source of evidence )

Religion is IMO a way to aply control. The things and means they use to control with religion are very real IMO.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Hey Boondock, I totally agree that religion is great for guidence. However, some texts are taken out of context, and that's where it can easily be manipulated. The bible for example has been translated many times, so I believe somewhere along the way, somebody had to have let emotion and bias come into play.

I can't say for sure that i believe without a doubt that the orignal bible to be truth, but I can say for sure that there must of been more truth before then now. It's like those rumor games in elementary school, by the time the sentance gets to the last person, it's a completely different thing. I also believe that the powers of this world may have influence what gets emphasized in the bible.

So in conclusion, I think what religion was intended to be, and what religion has become, are different. Religion still looks to guide people which is great, however many of the contexts are emphasized nowadays in order to prove with religion how terrible somebody is.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Good Intentions]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

The world in general needs hope, even if that hope
only comes in the end times knowing that
you're gonna win the battle. God offers that hope
to mankind in the form of salvation and a blissful
eternity. A world without hope is doomed.

That right there, someone will look at that as weakness and try to percieve themselves as better because this person needs god to get throught his day. God is hope. You need/want hope because you want there to be more out there. And this is how I see it, but now its beyond hope, its faith. I dont share the same faith as you, but if this is all that life is, is material objects and pleasing the senses so I can turn into dirt, well damn.... Im pretty scared of a outcome like that.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Intentions

To add what you are saying about the usefulness of Religion...i would say that religion has a purpose to help people understand the questions of life. The only issue i see with those religions is when they start perverting their doctrines to a militant, evangelical, extremist viewpoint whereby it is either my way or death. The original incarnation of Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism is very different from what it is today. Islam was a very beautiful (and still is if you can see past the extremist views) religion with great teachings as well as Christianity, in it's original form.

It is only till mends mends and twists its fingers into the beliefs that it is used and abused to the will of the person or group to their taste. Of course i must say that this is all IMHO.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bushidomason

Yea, thats what is terrible, the whole it's either follow all my rules or burn in hell for eternity. I think that way of thinking has damaged religion, and caused many people to doubt it, which I don't blame them for doubting dogma.

I believe that all religioins serve the same purpose and point to the same general beliefs in the end, therefore I think that seperate religions have formed because of the cultures involved in the initial prophecies, if you get what i mean.

Sometimes the conspiracy side of me thinks that maybe TPTB manipulate religion in this way to further seperate the skeptics from the believers, so that the believers have blind faith, and the skeptics mostly see that type of religious behavior, therefore further affirming their skeptical beliefs. From a high power point of view, there isn't any better way to get the public farther and farther from the truth.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Intentions

I agree with your analogy

the Bible has been watered down by bias,
never the less, the basis is still there
for those who seek.

Even books removed to suit an agenda.
But it would be unwise to discredit
God for the mistakes of man.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Why do people believe in God?

Well, I can't explain why because it's a different path for everyone that believes. But I can tell you that He Is, the great I Am.

There was a time in my life when I was an atheist, I wanted nothing to do with the Lord in any way, shape, form, or fashion. I believed the Bible to just be a bunch of stupid books that meant nothing to me.

But that changed one night in 1989. I won't go into the details here (although this website is precisely the right place to talk about such things), but I had a very supernatural experience that I couldn't explain, an experience that literally scared the hell out of me. Now, I didn't begin to believe in God that night, it still took about 7 more years for me to come around. One morning in 1996 God spoke to me through His Word, literally spoke right to me, to my heart and soul, and I believed, I finally believed and saw His Truth. I've never looked back, but it hasn't always been an easy road either. Believing in God is a narrow path, but the rewards for me have outweighed the hardships, I've seen His hand in my life so many times, even looking back to the time I was an atheist His hand was there.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by The Patriot]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by scorps
That right there, someone will look at that as weakness and try to percieve themselves as better because this person needs god to get throught his day. God is hope. You need/want hope because you want there to be more out there. And this is how I see it, but now its beyond hope, its faith. I dont share the same faith as you, but if this is all that life is, is material objects and pleasing the senses so I can turn into dirt, well damn.... Im pretty scared of a outcome like that.

I was referring to the human soul
which all of us humans have and the after-life.
Whereas your scenario ends with death.

Plus I don't require you to have the same faith as I.
You are free to choose.

Without faith, there is no hope. So they are linked.

There are many faiths right here on ATS.

Some people believe with all their heart that 9/11
was an inside job.

Others believe that Aliens exist.

Others believe that Obama is the Anti-Christ.
And so many more

All of these beliefs are built around their faith
of the events they perceive. God and religion
is no different.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by scorps

Understand your point. The question I wished to address was "why do people feel compelled to believe" in god or something outside themselves.
Just a slightly different perspective. Thanks.

gj

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

If you are wanting to know why people believe in God, Im going to venture out and say there's something in you that is questioning things. Thats a good indication that you are being drawn to something. But, I would recommend reading the bible and giving it a chance. The best way to learn something is to immerse yourself in it. I am a christian and I still have questions about things I read in the bible. That should'nt make someone discredit the entire thing though. If you believe in God, you have to know that if he is God, he will not allow EVERYTHING to be twisted and manipulated as some might suggest. Religion in and of itself is dangerous. That is one reason I started reading for myself. Religion will not get you salvation. Religion is why many are of the mindset they are today, and want nothing to do with church. Wherever you go, or whatever you do always ask questions.
If your question was just to find out why people believe in God, I personally believe in God because I have seen what he can do in lives, mine personally. Its all personal. I am satisfied with the fact that when this is all over I would have tried something with all my heart instead of sitting on the sidelines.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Boondock, i agree with you, it would be unwise to discredit god for the mistakes that mankind made with his ideas. We are not perfect and we learn by making mistakes, so something as complex as religion is easy for mankind to confuse. Like you said, that does not mean that there isn't real truth behind it. The truth can be found if you wish to seek.

Patriot, I can relate to you as I used to also think the idea of god was completly illogical, especially when argued by science. I am assuming you had and out of body experience, because that's what changed my mind, and saw the whole concept in a different way. Something spiritual like that is hard to express through words, and i can see how others may interpret it differntly.

I agree that this is pretty much one of the only places you can openly talk about that without being called crazy, on the other hand it's also one of the only places your words will be severly challenged by skeptics. If i'm totally wrong on what you were talkin about, sorry for the time wasted lol.

Ganjoa,

Why I personally believe in god is because I have experience myself concious out of body. Once you understand how out of body works, you see how it fits into religion, and from their its all very logical. There many theories in science such as string theory that believe their are other dimensions, and if you really look into quantum physics, you realize something is up with what we consider the physical.

I have seen enough enough myself to believe based on logic, rather than blind faith. From there, why i choose to live by it, is because it is something i can no longer deny.

Since I know your skeptical on the fact that god exists, try and relate this to something you believe. For example, as someone said before, aliens. Say you believe aliens. You've been abducted, and seen it for your own eyes the truth. Now if i said, why do you choose to believe it? You would reply, because i cannot deny it. That may not be the best example, but as a former skeptic on god, I am trying to think back to what answer i would have liked.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Why do people believe in UFOs? Not to derail the thread, but lots and lots of people believe in them too, without ever seeing any firsthand evidence. When you see one (as I have), then you know they are real, although you may not know what they are.

When you see or feel evidence of God, you know He is real as well, and you don't need to hear any contradictory arguments. Now I haven't met God personally, but I have several experiences that affirm my belief that the afterlife is indeed real. If the afterlife is real, why would God not be?

I have a what if... What if your belief (or disbelief) in God is related to what we've been finding out about quantum states and all that stuff. You know, how the state of matter is dependent on whether it's being observed. I won't pretend to be an expert on that. But what if God's existence to YOU depends on whether or not you believe He exists. When you die believing in God, you experience Heaven and everlasting life. When you die not believing, you experience eternal reruns of Gilligan's Island (without Mary Ann). Or nothing at all.

That's my two shekels. I'll err on the side of the affirmative, thank you.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I agree with you AwakeinNM!

There is an enormous amount of scientific evidence that this Universe is a giant Hologram and that our bodies and minds interpret experiences as a hologram interprets the non-local interference patterns recorded on the a piece of holographic film.

So our experiences are really holographic projections! We can holographically experience God, holographically experience UFO's, or holographically experience reality and holographically experience nothingness...

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Patriot, I can relate to you as I used to also think the idea of god was completly illogical, especially when argued by science. I am assuming you had and out of body experience...

Nope. Never had one of those.

Let me say this....
I tried to commit suicide one night when I was 21; I took 21 sleeping pills to do the job. I was 'visited' that night by those little guys with the big bug eyes, commonly known as the Grays. Only these guys weren't there to abduct me.

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join