It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westboro hate Group are Liberal Democrats

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Westboro hate Group are Liberal Democrats

www.anncoulter.com

The cult's leader/father is Fred Phelps, who calls America a "sodomite nation of flag-worshipping idolaters." Since you won't read it anyplace else, Phelps has run for public office five times -- as a Democrat.

The Fred Phelps cult members travel around the country and hold vile signs outside military funerals because they believe that the reason American soldiers die in wars is that God hates the U.S.A. because it tolerates homosexuals.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Fred Phelps the founder and leader of this radical hate group is a famous lawyer from the 60's who gained fame by attacking the "jim Crow" laws of the time. With all the current fame on TV how many of you knew the group was actually made up of liberal democrats? Screaming hate for gays, america, and its fallen soldiers all coming from a radical "leftist" group...

How many of you knew any of this?

www.anncoulter.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Left or right...bigoted, narrow minded idiots will always be bigoted, narrow minded idiots. I don't care which way their ideological pendulum swings, there has always been but even more so now a stark contrast between peoples views even while they both profess to be conservative or liberal, just check on ATS to see proud conservatives who share practically no conservative beliefs, or liberals who share no liberal beliefs. A result of quasi liberal and conservative movements that folks have latched on to in their droves.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
And the point of this is what?

That idiots, psychopaths and lunatics are found all over the political spectrum?

That's obviously a no brainer.

What's also a no brainer is that since this is from Ann Coulters site, the purpose of the article is obviously to demonize the left.

It's just more inane partisan bs. meant to divide people.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
OH wow! Here is a White supremacist running as a Republican!

www.eastcountymagazine.org...

"Tom Metzger, a white supremacist and former Fallbrook resident who previously ran for Congress in San Diego County, is now running again—this time as an Republican write-in candidate in Warsaw, Indiana. Metzer is a former grand dragon of the Ku Klux Klan."

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I have a conspiracy theory: what if Westboro really ARE a liberal group who try to make the Christian Right look crazier and more hateful than they actually are by pretending to be one?

I was reading about the group, did you know Fred Phelps was a Civil Rights vet?

Maybe it's a reverse psychology group? The Westboro people have always seemed a bit too ridiculous to be true. Even Ann Coulter hates them.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Let me get this straight... you are using Ann Coulter as your source and you are taking her at her word?

If you are on the outside looking in, one of the most disturbing trends that you can see in the United States is the polarization of the country into xenophobic groups being provoked into increasingly violent and rage filled acts by a handful of venomous media and political rabble-rousers. If you live in a country where there the fourth estate still takes its responsibilities seriously and holds journalistic integrity as a trust, then what you see when you look at the US media is a collection of marketing outlets, all run to corporate interests.

This isn't about politics, this is about money and power. Glenn Beck spews hated because it pays really, really well. (read Glenn Beck Inc in Forbes). There is money to be made in hatred and conflict, power to be had in division and conflict. Oh and I'm not picking on Glenn Beck, he is just representative of that group -- and he happened to be the one I had a reference to that I could cite. Feel free to add others if you have the numbers toshare.

You have been had. America is being divided into hate filled groups, inflamed by violent rhetoric that uses your own beliefs and values to manipulate you. As you destroy your own country in a rabid frenzy, you are playing into the greed and power-lusts of those who only seek to use you.

It's not about right or left. It is about power and exploitation. Don't buy into it. Think for yourself. Deny ignorance

[edit on 10-4-2010 by metamagic]

[edit on 10-4-2010 by metamagic]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
A rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
And a pile of fresh elephant dung, by any other name, would reek as hideously.

In other words. He can call himself whatever he likes. Clearly the Democratic party does not represent, in any way, shape or form, what this man advocates. No political party in this country represents this man, as far as I know. Unless maybe skinheads are a political party...

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
If you set out looking for a nut, you will surely find one.

I'm sure if the Democratic Party had their way they would kick him out, but alas, in this country (at least as of this minute) you can register as a member of any political party you so choose.

Although, I will admit it was nice to see a Democratic nut job for a change, instead of the usual Republican one!

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
A rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
And a pile of fresh elephant dung, by any other name, would reek as hideously.

In other words. He can call himself whatever he likes. Clearly the Democratic party does not represent, in any way, shape or form, what this man advocates. No political party in this country represents this man, as far as I know. Unless maybe skinheads are a political party...

You pretty much nailed it. I've done some research on him and WBC. Spurred by my thread on their planned protest at the W.Va mine disaster.

Yes - he has run for office several times as a democrat. It can be confirmed by way more sources than Ann C. However, (as usual) Ann is just making a stink about nothing in mentioning he is a democrat. It actually takes away from what is a good argument she makes against what they do.

In the rest of the article mentioned in the OP she makes a pretty good case that the actions of Fred and crew amount to Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress.

She states in the article quoted by the OP.

The Second Restatement of Torts (1965) defines IIED as conduct "so outrageous in character, and so extreme in degree, as to go beyond all possible bounds of decency, and to be regarded as atrocious, and utterly intolerable in a civilized community."

That sounds like what Fred's crew does to me. She argues that she thinks the courts should see this - and I agree with that.

Sadly, Ann mentioning he has ran as a democrat just takes away from an otherwise very good argument and valid point - because Fred being registered as a democrat has nothing to do with anything.

Fred calling himself a democrat doesn't make him any more a democrat or affiliated with the democrat party than him calling himself a Baptist indicates he's affiliated with any Baptist organization.

All it means is that in whatever twisted thinking goes on in his head he decided to call himself a Democrat when he ran for office and deiced to call his church Baptist when he started it.

In Fred's case he's not a democrat. Nor his he a republican. He's not a Baptist either. He's just a hate filled nut and cult leader who has chosen to slap a couple of labels on his antics to try and give them an air of legitimacy.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Frogs]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Wow, looks like a nerve got rather "tweeked" here.....the truth always hurts the crimminally insane..........LEFT!

To quote a true genius "Liberalisim is a Mental Disorder" Micheal Savage...political genius.....

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime

Ahh, now it's clear. Simply trolling, and playing the false left/right paradigm for yuks.

It's a tired and old tactic.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by redmage

Ahh, now it's clear. Simply trolling, and playing the false left/right paradigm for yuks.

So pointing out a truth becomes "trolling"? sad very sad..........the facts are still clear......the westboro nutters are from the far left......

Please defend their hate speech.......

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I can't believe this "pastor" has lived this long actually. I quite expected him to have a .30-06 round through the head by now....

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

The only "truth" pointed out is that this nut ran a few failed campaigns registered as a Democrat, and regardless of your actual beliefs you can register with any party you want to.

It's no different than trying to paint all Christians as inbred bigots because this fool fancies himself a "Baptist".

Good luck with your trolling, and logical fallacies. I'm sure some less educated people out there will still eat it up. Heck, you've actually garnered yourself 4 "Christian hating" stars already.

[edit on 4/10/10 by redmage]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

As long as we continue to see ourselves as seperate and divided the easier it is for those who wish to enslave us.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

What 'truth'? Redmage is entirely correct. You, sir, are a prime example of exactly what is going wrong in this country. This absolute dichotomy of 'they're all wrong and we're all right' is utter crap. And the more people that buy into it the deeper we get in the sludge. Let's find ourselves a villain and heap all the ills of society on them. That will fix things.

I don't give a rats ass what this guy 'says' he is. You are what your actions define you as. You cannot possibly reconcile a 'liberal' label with someone whose activities are based in exclusion, intolerance and violence. You would be wrong by definition alone. The Catholic priests who are buggering deaf kids call themselves Christians and Catholics. But obviously neither can be true --- by definition.

Your argument is baseless and more importantly it is one more example of how badly the ATS community is doing at denying ignorance.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime

Originally posted by redmage

So pointing out a truth becomes "trolling"? sad very sad..........the facts are still clear......the westboro nutters are from the far left......

You kind of eliminated any credibility you had for wanting to spread any truth with this right here-

Micheal Savage...political genius.....

Obviously the truth is the last thing you are interested in but partisan political trolling shows through quite well. Given what ATS is all about, what is the real purpose of this thread?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime
.....the facts are still clear......the westboro nutters are from the far left......

Please defend your statement that the Westboro group's actions somehow align themselves with "the left".

In politics, left-wing, leftist and the Left are generally used to describe support for social change with a view towards creating a more egalitarian society.

Show how Phelps and his gang support liberal values, such as social progressivism, equal rights, gay marriage, freedom to choose, separation of church and state, environmental awareness, etc.

If the facts are clear, as you say, let's hear them.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'll be darned.

I've put forth my best argument that Fred being registered as a democrat doesn't have anything to do with anything - and is actually a rather minor point in the article the OP mentions. Also, that he doesn't represent the democratic party - and it was like throwing a pebble in the ocean.

Those that have seen me post here over the years know I tend to lean right in many things - so I'm not exactly a liberal.

I guess since the OP has seen fit to ignore the arguments of myself and others - I'm stumped. All I can figure is that it just as in the quote from "Cool Hand Luke" - "there are some men you just can't reach".

Anyway - this is just silly. As I said, I lean right - though I have more than enough sense to realize Fred doesn't represent Democrats - just as I'm sure most on the left know Jonathan "The Impaler" Sharkey doesn't represent Republicans.

This is the kind of rhetoric and bull-headedness that has helped get the country into its current mess.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Frogs]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join