It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuke submarine crashes while navigator listens to iPod...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
www.thesun.co.uk...

A US nuclear sub rammed another ship causing nearly £60MILLION damage - while its navigator was listening to his iPod. Sailors aboard the USS Hartford had also rigged up loudspeakers so they could play MUSIC on duty, an official report found last night. Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...
OK , If this is real some heads are gona roll .

Sonar operators and radio men were missing from their posts. Others drove the attack sub while "with one hand on the controls and their shoes off", it said. The report slammed the navigator, who was listening to his iPod in his cabin while revising for an exam at the time. Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

You gotta be kidding me!

I hear this was top of his list:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Is it a news story or an ad? You want to know where The Sun finds this stuff? They make it up.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

It seems once in a while the Sun gets it right:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ba09f00aaa5.jpg[/atsimg]

Source: article in the Daily Mail

...Captain Commander Ryan Brookhart was relieved of his duties after the investigation revealed nearly ’30 tactical and watchstander errors’ which led to the ‘avoidable accident’...

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It happened last year, still amazing though.

BBC Link

Video game industry made the new generation think they can cheat their way out of problems I guess.

But not this time...

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Grey Magic]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Is the Ipod safe ?
or it crashed too.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
BBC:

The USS Hartford's commanding officer, Cmdr Ryan Brookhart, was relieved of his duties following the collision. Several other crew members were punished.

You would think that other officers aboard would have reported this behavior long before it led to this.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Actually I expect the Captain of the ship and the other officers to get off with a slap on the wrist. It will be the enlisted that will have hell to pay. Just a personal observation.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
No, i think this was at the top of their lists.:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by LuxFestinus
Actually I expect the Captain of the ship and the other officers to get off with a slap on the wrist. It will be the enlisted that will have hell to pay. Just a personal observation.

Your expectations are unfounded. The Captain has the ultimate responsibility for his ship and his "slap on the wrist" will be relief from Command and the end of his Naval career. The Executive Officer may also suffer damage along with the Navigator/Operations officer, depending on the results of the investigation by a board of inquiry. These officers set the standards for their crew and are responsible for their actions. The enlisted watchstanders will likely suffer minor punishments for inattention to duty, if anything, depending on the investigators report.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Oops, but it happened last year so they still suck

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

Sailors aboard the USS Hartford had also rigged up loudspeakers so they could play MUSIC on duty, an official report found last night.

Thus it appears it's in the news due to publication of the official report.

I wonder how much those guys were getting paid to listen to their iPods day & night?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

So now will the Russian navy send 2000 ipod to the USNavy with greetings...

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This sounds like a national lampoon movie. Rock music piped thu the ship? Barefoot crew members in the Nav room? Navigator in room listing to I-pod? All it needs is beers.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
These people are the botton 10%. Didn't you know that?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

This sounds like a national lampoon movie.

Reality is stranger than fiction:

I used to have a newspaper clipping of the incident (despite the fact some claim it is apocryphal).

Found it:

This is a transcript of a radio conversation between a US Naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland. I understand that there's actually a full transcript of this conversation lurking about somewhere. If anyone has is, send it to me!

US SHIP: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

CANADIAN REPLY: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US SHIP: This is the Captain of the US Navy Ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

CANADIAN REPLY: No, I say again, divert YOUR course!

US SHIP: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS MISSOURI. WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW OR WE WILL TAKE APPROPRIATE AND DRASTIC MEASURES!!!!

CANADIAN REPLY: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

Source

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

What I expect is the Captain will get a letter of reprimand and will be involuntarily retired. Sounds pretty rough getting Captain's retirement pay for the rest of your life. Not. I don't even expect a demotion in rank. I expect all of this to be done very quietly of course if it isn't already done.

I wouldn't say this is unfounded because I have seen that this is how things usually work in the Military Industrial Complex. Situation Normal All Fouled Up! Rank has its privileges after all.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic

Video game industry made the new generation think they can cheat their way out of problems I guess.

I thought it taught us to kill with no remorse and other things. Or is it one of those things that is used when it is convenient to people laying the hate?

Video games do not cause problems, idiots who take games seriously and the idiots who blame the games not the people ARE the problem.

This is about a nuclear sub and an iPod. Not video games.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Very old joke. It traces back to WW2 and is fictional.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LuxFestinus

You had said "It will be the enlisted that will have hell to pay. Just a personal observation."
Rank has privileges and responsibilities. The CO may be courtmartialed, in which case he may get no retirement pay. Don't think for a minute that the enlisted will take the brunt of this. The CO is responsible.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join