It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Derry ever be safe?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Jezus man ` ......... relax ! Reread my post , i`m not trying to start a revolution.

That's a shame, we could really use one of those

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Yes, I have no doubt I'll be staying put. I think the worst thing is that there is little or nothing I can do. I'm kind of used to protecting and helping people. In school in England if anyone was being bullied, they come and hide behind me (thanks!) and the bullies would promptly turn around and make themselves scarce. That's not the kind of thing I can do here

One of those four bomb threats a couple of weeks ago was distressingly close to a very good friend, but again, there was nothing I could do to ensure her safety. I think that kind of thing is one of the main things that get me.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Wait! I get it now!!

You were linking the two of us - I thought your reply to me was "and..." and then you went on to reply to him/her
I've caught up now

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
When the WTC was attacked, it suddenly became a different scenario, you had a president telling everyone no matter where the terrorists where, they where going to be destroyed, this had a load of American politicians panicking, because a lot had attended and indeed arranged for fund raising events to support the IRA fight, this is well known especially to a lot people in Ireland, I have seen these politicians with my own eyes in the Republic with it being no secret what and why they where there.

They couldn't have people at home asking why some of their politicians where helping fund terrorism and fighting it at the same time, so the funding stopped, and there could no longer be any political protection for the IRA, it would have given the British Government the chance to once and for all go and fight them a lot harder than they had been allowed too before, because of concerns regarding human rights, the World could not condemn the British Government any more, the Americans where out to get all terrorists, and the IRA where terrorists, the links to the US Government could not be allowed to be linked back to the USA, so things changed, it went quiet.

But now some time has passed, and it's rearing it's ugly head again, but it's different now, people don't want the struggles as they called it back, none of them but a small minority, even my Family over there have said, if it returns, then the people themselves will this time will fight to stop it.

The majority of people in Ulster do not want to be part of the Republic, that is why it exists in the first place, the British army originally went there to protect the catholic population from harm, but turned the tables and started targeting the British soldiers, one of whom was my Brother who lost his best friend in the same incident, and who now has a nervous twitch because of it, I don't hate the Irish for that, because I know it wasn't the Irish people, just a few individuals who wanted to run the criminal underworld more than a reunited Ireland, and that is what this small group of people want, they want terror to run their criminal activities and return to FEAR AND HATRED.

And I will wager it wont be long before we see the American politicians trying to get back in there, only this time it will be to negotiate peace, while pocketing the back handers, and your right the British Govt would love to see it build again, it served their purpose as well to an extent, the World is a different place these days, with some trying to drive it backwards.

TO add I am not talking about what the British did to the people of Ireland back in the early 20th century, that situation was a totally different time, a time of disgust and evil carried out by the British Government, what was done to the people of Ireland should never be forgotten, the British carried out some disgusting atrocities against Men Women and Children, the troubles of Ulster although said to be part of that time are not, it's a different fight with the claim of being part of the same struggle, if the people of Ulster want to remain British then we have a duty to protect them, those who want it to remain British far outnumber those who don't.

[edit on 10/4/2010 by azzllin]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Being a graduate of Magee - I was there from '85-'90 and went back quite a few times afetr (my then Fiancée was still studying at the college) I'm a bit shocked by the ops fears.

Over the course of my years there - and as a Brit with Irish family ties I had nothing but a warm welcome from the place. There were a few incidents - notably the killing of the 2 police officers and the bombing on campus during my first year (believe you me I was pretty close to this event) I always felt very comfortable in the city and had many friends from both sides of the sectarian divide.

In the trips I took after my college years I could see a real hope in the city that things were getting better - if this is now slipping its a true shame - and a blight on the memory of one man a got to know there the late John Hume.

I only got back to Belfast in the '90s - didnt manage the trip over to L/Derry/Doire/Stroke City. Howvere the change in the province was amazing - you have to remember that in my day the army bricks were every where and VCPs were common place. Landies were grey and armoured as were the IXI plated bomb proof cortinas.

Now I was seeing normal police cars and far fewer guns in evidence - and I hoped for the best. Gone was landing at Aldergrove and all the security that meant - now you landed in the city centre - the Shorts airstrip I had used flying Capitol Air to Luton on their Shorts 360s and once a brand new BAE 146.

I hold out such hope for a transition - but in my heart of hearts I knw that money is the root of the problem if you doubt my thought's on this U"U me and Ill tell you some stories that will convince you!

Oh and FWIW I have a BA(Hons) in Peace and Conflict Studies from the UU - we were trying to be a beacon of hope for the future - and I hope the work we all did isnt dying on the vine.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowArcher
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Wait! I get it now!!

You were linking the two of us - I thought your reply to me was "and..." and then you went on to reply to him/her
I've caught up now

No worries ShadowArcher . I just realised you are only a member of ATS a few weeks . It can take a bit of getting use to the functions and all that jive.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
azzllin - am I right in thinking that American support for the IRA died out mostly when they realised that they were just terrorists? I thought that they supported them because they felt that they, like the Americans themselves, had a right to be free of British rule. But then they found that it wasn't quite the same, and mostly stopped support. maybe I'm wrong.

Silk - don't get me wrong, I don't think things will go back to how they were in the troubles, the point of this thread was to discuss the recent threats of stepping up their...I still don't know what to call it. Even in the time I've been here, things have got better. It used to be that the police drove around in their borderline-tanks and people (mostly children who didn't even have a clue why they were doing it, beyond a bit of fun) would gather up little piles of rocks and bricks to throw at them as they drove past. I haven't seen any of that for a long time. The majority of police cars I see are still unmarked and packed full of heavily-armed cops, but its an improvement from those jeeps.

UmbraSulus - It's not the reply function that confused me, but your use of it!
I didn't realise you were (holy crap what was that?! A man and woman just walked past dressed in Victorian clothes!) saying 'reply to (me) and (him)'. I thought your reply to me was 'And...' - as in 'and what...?', if you see what I mean. lol. Never mind; it doesn't matter

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I've always seen the American funding as evidence that the entire thing was controlled and created. If the funding had come from England it would have been too close and too easily figured out, so they did a bit of sleight of hand and brought the money over from America.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

a load of American politicians panicking, because a lot had attended and indeed arranged for fund raising events to support the IRA fight, this is well known especially to a lot people in Ireland, I have seen these politicians with my own eyes in the Republic with it being no secret what and why they where there.

US Congressman Peter King from NY is one of them. The guy is so openly pro IRA that it's actually sickening how much of a hypocrite he is being that he sits on the House Homeland Security Commission. If I had my way he would be on the next flight to the UK to spend some quality time with Her Majesty's Prison Service but I am not in power sadly.

Many local bars used to have "Free Derry" fundraiser nights back in the late 1980s/early/mid 1990s. I believe some still do but keep it much more low key to avoid the FBI.

Long Island and NYC were huge hotbeds of support for the IRA due to our large Irish-American population. Boston was another big area too.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by ChrisF231]

[edit on 10-4-2010 by ChrisF231]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

I don't know about that. I think it was just a group of Irish people taking offence at having half their country signed away, and wanted to get it back. Understandable, but it was never going to happen when they resorted to simple terrorism.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
i personally cant stand it any more and ive lived in derry 34 years. its a fact that these groups are directly controled by government agencies, jeez the ra and the uda were run by them for 30 years. they will continue to affect our lives here until the people behind them decide that there no longer useful.

does anyone think in this day and age with the technology they have that the british government couldnt amas enough evidence to put lets face it a bunch of cowboys away, and find the dumps of weapons they have. also the dogs in the street know the realers are full of touts ( so we can assume british intelligence know everything anyway)

i really plan on moving to donegal or if my green card comes through i'll be heading to the us, but in this day and age were is safe???

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowArcher

One of those four bomb threats a couple of weeks ago was distressingly close to a very good friend, but again, there was nothing I could do to ensure her safety. I think that kind of thing is one of the main things that get me.

Fair enough, you'll just get on and do what you think is right when the time comes. It's easier for us to be posting words of advice and rhetoric...you're in the middle of it and feeling the pressure.

Hopefully, things will settle down and you and friends will feel safe again. I've got friends, family and in-laws scattered across Fermanagh, Belfast and Tyrone and they're OK. If it looked like going tits up, I'd want them to move out the way too.

Take it easy

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join