It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ICAO Code for Groom Lake / AREA 51?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Hi,

I had read numerous reports regarding the difference between KTKM and KXTA codes used for Groom Lake.

I am still confused though.

What would be the proper and the most formal ICAO code to use for Groom?
Is it KTKM or KXTA? I know that Honeywell systems and a few GPS receivers use Groom code as KXTA.....So would KXTA be the most formal ICAO code to use then?

And also according to Wikipedia, it does have AREA 51 as ICAO code "KXTA"
But however, they do not mention KTKM in there.

I would just like to know this for several reasons....Which may sound silly....

1. One being, is that I have an old Garmin handheld GPS device which of course, does not have KXTA in it....So, that means I have to add it in there using the Groom Lake coordinates. But, to make the code realistic, what should I name it as the standard ICAO code? Should I input KTKM or KXTA?

In other words, what would be more proper if I were to add Groom to my GPS? Would it be KTKM or KXTA?

Thanks. I would appreciate it in advance

Please help. Thanks.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by darpa999]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
For example, when all these Janet flights file a flight plan to Groom in their computer navigational systems, do they file it under KXTA while these online flight tracking systems show KTKM ot KTNX?

Because I noticed on Flightaware, Janet flights from Las Vegas to Groom are indicated as TNX or TKM.

And according to Honeywell systems and most GPS receivers, AREA-51's actual ICAO code is KXTA.

Is this the actual case?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
No, KXTA is more of a joke than anything official. XTA as in eXtraTerrestriAl. The closest to an "official" ICAO would be KTKM. Janet has used it in flight plans when they aren't using TNX or DRA.

new topics

join