It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Is there any possible way that an earthquake could be felt all around the world?

I am by no way an expert, but the earthquake spoken about in Revelations makes me curious about the subject. My intent is not to focus on Revelation. I am just curious if such an earthquake is possible.

Worldwide earthquake

Shortly before the seven trumpets sound the people on earth will be shaken awake by a worldwide earthquake. It will be different than any previous earthquake because it will be felt all around the world. It will be accompanied by noises, thunder and lightning. This earthquake marks the beginning of the Great Tribulation.

www.whoisthebeast.com...

Bold emphasis mine. The article below seems to indicate that the ground shakes but we are not able to pick up on it.

How many earthquakes have you felt in your lifetime? Many people can rememver at least one large quake. But did you know that you have actually lived through thousands of quakes? Earthquakes are happening every day somewhere in the world, and each of these quakes send out seismic waves in all directions-- outward along the surface of the earth and downward into the middle of the earth. Some of these waves are headed in your direction. By the time they reach you, most of these waves are too weak for you to feel any shaking. However, a good seismograph would show you that weak seismic waves are silently vibrating the groung underneath your feet every day.

cse.ssl.berkeley.edu...

If a seismometer can pick up vibrations from the other side of the globe, couldn't a stronger quake actually be felt on the other side of the world?

Our seismometer is sensitive enough to pick up vibrations from such events, even when they occur on the other side of the globe.

www.baltinglass.org...

If this type of earthquake is possible, how strong would it have to be?

Earthquakes Facts and Follies

The recent Chile quake was 8.8 and it was felt about 1800 miles away.

The magnitude 8.8 quake was felt as far away as Sao Paulo in Brazil — 1,800 miles to the east.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

[edit on 10-4-2010 by jam321]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
In my humble opinion, I believe that with the right equipment a large enough earthquake could be felt around the world. However As far as the physical effects go, like ground shaking, short of an asteroid causing it I don't think so. However crust displacement theory (2012 movie) was based on an actual theory, and in that case I would say the individual quakes around the world would feel like it was one big quake.

But I'm not a geologist so that is just my best guess.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
this is a semi interesting link:
rev.seis.sc.edu...
but it was a little difficult to use..fun however.
Was it not Krakatoa volcano where
when it exploded, the sound
was heard around the world. Imagine an earthquake that potent.
What could cause that indeed !

join