It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cows are key to 2,500 years of human progress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Dairy farming is key factor in history of European nutrition, study argues, with Roman empire a net loss.

04 April 2010

The Romans, as Monty Python famously acknowledged, have done many things for us. Contrary to popular wisdom, however, improving our diet was not one of them.

A study of the remains of almost 20,000 people dating from the 8th century BC to the 18th century AD has found that the Roman empire reduced our level of nutrition, which increased again in the "dark ages".

That is because the key factor in determining average height over the centuries – an indicator of nutritional status and wellbeing – has been an increase in milk consumption due to improved farming. Higher population densities and the need to feed the army during Roman times may have worked against this.

The "anthropometric" approach pursued by Nikola Koepke of Oxford University, which combines biology and archaeology, suggests longer bone length is indicative of improved diet. Koepke's study, presented at the Economic History Society's 2010 annual conference, also challenges assumptions about the effect of the industrial revolution. Urbanisation did not improve wellbeing, she argues, at least as measured by height.

Nutrition

www.guardian.co.uk...

Milk may have added to our overall height and strenghtened our bones, but still not so sure animal milk or meat is good for us, there is some evidence that we were meant to be vegetarians, on the other hand what has been done to our food supply today certainly isn't healthy.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

It is my understanding that protein interferes with calcium absorption and therefore milk is a bad source of calcium. Green leafy vegetables and molasses may be the best way to get strong bones. One problem in getting full nutrition is that certain vitamins seem to compete with others for absorption.

Also, goat milk is a much better match to human milk and therefore is a better source of nutrition. I would never feed a baby cow milk for that reason.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by truthquest]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest

Green leafy vegetables and molasses may be the best way to get strong bones.
[edit on 9-4-2010 by truthquest]

I agree here, especially with milks' acidic qualities and the poor treatment of the cows typically among dairy-farmers.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I learned that only western society drinks cow milk. Even as close by as the mediteranian people are lactose intolerant.

As far as the evidence for humans to be vegetarians.
That's rubbish !

Humans have their eyes fronting forward which is a characteristic of predators. Human teeth are made up of different kinds of teeth.
Moulders and cutting .
If we were vegetarian we would only have moulders.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Interesting OP. I have a friend in Israel who says that humans were not meant to drink milk, other than mother's milk. Other than that, it is bad. However, she eats lots of cheese. How is there a difference from milk from a cow and cheese made from a cow?

Notice, I don't drink milk. It upsets my stomach, but I do eat cheese and it is quite nice to my bowels.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I agree with your friend in Isreal, we are the only species who drink milk after we are weaned and to make it worse, it's cow's milk.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I gave up on milk years back, for some reason I still eat cheese tho. Cow milk is meant for cows! Its meant to get a cow big and fat. I think there were some studies that showed that milk is a big contributing factor to early puberty. It groses me out just thinking about drinking it. Then you see people just a chugging away, if they had to get it from the cow I doubt so many people would be drinking it. I could be wrong tho.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by (C2C)

I not only gave up Milk years ago, maybe 25 or so, but also gave up all dairy, I don't think we are met to drink it either, my biggest problem over the years is finding food without dairy. BTW Soy ice cream is great.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Hiya Aquarius, interesting article. Cows have been very significant to human progress for at least 9000 years. They became slowly domesticated in areas of Africa which led to changes in how we roamed. The cows depended on water and grazing so it's likely ancient nomads followed the weather. When fertile areas were discovered we began to settle down.

Rather gorily, it wasn't their milk we were after...it was blood. They were tapped for blood regularly. In times of difficulty they were also a portable food source. Studies on the extinct Egyptian cattle suggest they were very poor providers of dairy. The custom of tapping cattle for blood still happens in some parts of Africa today.

Across Africa, Asia and Europe early religions worshipped cows and bulls. They were the most significant animal to our lives. Roman, Greek, Egyptian and Sumerian myths feature them. I like to think that the domesticated dog was close in importance too and changed us to the degree we changed them...

Slightly off topic, I saw a doco where the Kenyan Masai Mara did a blood ritual as a 'coming of age' celebration for the youngsters. They tapped the cow's blood into a bowl and passed it around. By the time the guys at the end of the line got it, it was cold and clotting....shudder.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Thanks Kandinsky, great information, I love ATS because I am always learning something new from informative members like you, your last paragraph also make me shudder....yikes.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   

I was looking for more info and found this...Massai tribe cow blood recipe! Nom nom nom. Feeling peckish?

new topics

top topics

join