It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masonic Art Hidden Code

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Symbolism is a fascinating way to convey meaning to the enlightened or a means to hide meaning from the profane .

Symbolism can take on many strange and confusing forms , deciphering any meaning can be a grueling task in deed , no matter how interesting or fun it might be .

Often when one searches for meaning in symbolism one will quickly learn that more often then not any given symbol can have multiple meanings , makes researching somewhat speculative .

To truly understand the intention of the symbol it would greatly help to understand the person or persons mind who was using the symbol . If one understood the group mind of the ones using the symbols then it would be much easier to break down any intended meaning .

Myself , I have always been fascinated with symbolism and its hidden code . My interest has varied from Tarot to hieroglyphes to Mythology and more recently Masonic Art .

My first impression of Masonic Art is that it somewhat shares a liking to Tarot . Both Tarot and Masonic art seems to make use of Astrology , Alchemy , the Kabbalah and Numerology , just to name a few of there similarities .

I have found two pictures that I would like to post so that I might get your thoughts as to what each picture is trying to say via it's symbolism .

Can you help deconstruct and break the code of each picture ?

This first picture is of George Washington's Masonic apron

This next picture I found while doing a google search on Masonic art , other then that I have no other info on the pictures origins . I did however manage to translate the Hebrew , it says metal .

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Max_TO]

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Are you a Mason? If you were, you could identify and "decipher" everything on the Apron. Mason's use the working tools of "operative Masons" to symbolize lessons of morality that we live by. The secrets are not really that complicated.

As for the other photo . . . WOW! It is very deep, and I see some of the symbolism we use when opening and closing a lodge and working through the different officer's stations in the lodge. Most of that photo though is artistic interpretation beyond my scope.

You are correct about connections to astrology and kabbalah, but not numerology. You are probably mistaking geometry and architecture with numerology. Sacred Geometry and ancient astronomy would probably be a better description and kabbalah is actually just old testament scripture.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
You are correct about connections to astrology and kabbalah, but not numerology. You are probably mistaking geometry and architecture with numerology. Sacred Geometry and ancient astronomy would probably be a better description and kabbalah is actually just old testament scripture.

Good point and thank you for correcting me as I was over generalizing .

Would you be willing to comment as to some of the various symbolism's meanings ?

Would I be correct that the checkered floor can represent a few different things from a means to measure , to traversing a threshold , to the representation of good and evil in harmony , or each needed for the other to exist ?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Example of what is probably art commissioned by a prominent Mason in a thread I started. Pictures included of ONE of the three pieces displayed in this location.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
On the first picture, I recognize a compass at the top of the picture.

A sheaf of wheat. An ankh. A spade. A bell. Noah's Ark. The obvious pentacle - which could be several possible types of symbols but I can't really tell what the picture in the middle of it is which might help pin down what it isn't. A knight templar - but his counterpart isn't as obvious. On further thought - I'll venture its a mason or a blacksmith.

At the top of the pillars, I would venture a guess that they are planets. The Sun and the Moon probably don't need someone to point them out. Though I am amused by the Moon Face.

On the second the word "avotoritas" is likely latin, and seems to have been used in a work done entitle M. Tulli Ciceronis De officiis libri tres, Volumes 1-2 By Marcus Tullius Cicero.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

My son has the same name as one of his friends.

Which while I don't have ANY training in latin, seems to be interesting read from what I do glean off it. I'll have to find some time to find an english translation. I can't find a translation of avotoritas into english though.

(I'm bilingual in french and english which sometimes makes it a bit easier to glean some meaning off of some of the other european languages. Written. Spoken might as well be gibberish unless I turn off all my internal censors.)

[edit on 2010/4/9 by Aeons]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
A few things I notice in the second pic would be the Phenix and the Peacock . Both of these birds looking east and west indicating control over all that there respective force lays eyes on . The Phenix usually indicates a rebirth from the old or from destruction where as the Peacock is usually the sign of royalty .

The Hebrew word for metal located on the sun could be some reference to some Alchemy meaning ? Perhaps the ultimate fusing of the impure to create the perfect ?

The lantern held in the hand lighting up the book could indicate a revealing of the hidden buy learning the craft .

Just some speculation on my behalf , feel free to add to or offer a different opinion .

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Does anyone know what type of branch that is near the coffin on the first picture ?

To me the coffin would most likely represent ones need to die of the old ways before one could be reborn into the craft .

I also notice a couple of hebrew letters hidden in the first picture , located in the candle sticks , assuming I am interpreting correctly ?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I think ignoring the obvious Skull and Cross bones reference is naive.

That being said - I'd suggest the vine is ivy.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Wow very interesting artistry. Then again the Masons for some reasons always do.

Cunning little !@$^ers.

Thanks for sharing them with me

edited to add: perhaps I'll ask my teacher If he can decipher some of the symbols.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Actually David Flynn has a very interesting take on the meaning of the skull and bones . He claims that it is one in the same as the rose cross or head cross . When he breaks it down it has a mathematical meaning .

Can you share your thoughts as to what the skull and bones represents ? I would be interested to hear your thoughts .

As for the branch being Ivy I say good guess and it just could be . My guess was an oak branch but I just don't know

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

The branch is a a Sprig of Acacia

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I did a search using the word avotoritas and found this link to a book ... books.google.com... dGIH78Aau45jlCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=avotoritas&f=false

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Oh - I don't know that I have a ventured guess on the Skull and Cross bones meaning. But that a certain group - say the one that several prominent people belong to that is named such - obviously have taken meaning from it.

I actually have no idea what meaning they attach to it. Could be sinister - which is what people usually seem to think. Could be a reference to something else.

I mean, everyone dies. Everything alive dies. The significant wallowing in death that previous generations and cultures did seems a bit morbid - but then our utter disconnect with death is just about as unnatural. I can't say where these people fall with it.

[edit on 2010/4/9 by Aeons]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Thank you for that great link !

Just to post a small bit of that link .....

The first thing, then, that we notice in this symbol of the acacia, is, that it had been always consecrated from among the other trees of the forest by the sacred purposes to which it was devoted. By the Jew the tree from whose wood the sanctuary of the tabernacle and the holy ark had been constructed would ever be viewed as more sacred than ordinary trees. The early Masons, therefore, very naturally appropriated this hallowed plant to the equally sacred purpose of a symbol which was to teach an important divine truth in all ages to come.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
reply to post by Max_TO

The branch is a a Sprig of Acacia

The leaves don't look right.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Here is another Masonic picture that I have just stumbled across

I must say , there is something very captivating about these pictures .

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

The coffin is an obvious image to identify with the emblems of mortality. But its depiction is open to much interpretation. Almost uniformly shown with a sprig of acacia, the coffin will also be marked with either a pentagram or a five-pointed star. Whether the variations are the results of esoteric interpretation or the limitations of the engraver’s art is an unanswered question.

Source

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
I did however manage to translate the Hebrew , it says metal .

Nope. It's the Tetragrammaton.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

The acacia bush, is supposedly the type of bush, that was burning when Moses talked to God.

I would need to study the picture more for a more definitive answer. Only thing off the top of my head would be:

1) God talks to us through death; be it ours or another human beings.

2) Maybe being a plant wont be so bad

3) Masons think human beings are only good for fertilizer.

I haven't a clue...

thanks for the pic by the way

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Auguste133

Is that true ? If so thanks for the correction , if so I will have to delete my crappy translating program .

Yes you are correct , thanks

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join