It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ashtabula County: Judge tells residents to "Arm themselves"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Ashtabula County: Judge tells residents to "Arm themselves"

www.wkyc.com

Ashtabula County Common Pleas Judge Alfred Mackey was asked what residents should do to protect themselves and their families with the severe cutback in law enforcement.

"Arm themselves," the judge said. "Be very careful, be vigilant, get in touch with your neighbors, because we're going to have to look after each other."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
A sign of the times? What is coming? Or where many areas have already arrived?

Cutbacks hitting LE, now forcing the populace to become proactive in self-protection?

Pretty wild to hear a JUDGE making these comments publically!

Many here have been talking about this coming...Appears it may have come to fruition...

www.wkyc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
very good article
thanks for posting this
and I hope ATS is smart enough
to realize that we as an entire population
need to do the very same thing

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
No offence! but im glad i live in the Irish equivalent of Alaska!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Awesome. Truly a sign of what is to come. It excites me.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
No surprise considering this location. I have been to the city of Ashtabula on a couple of occasions and I certainly have no plans on returning soon. The judge is definitely giving some good advice for the residents in "Bula".

Budget cuts abound and concealed carry permit applications in Ohio are surging. Most cops can only respond and ticket these days. The notion of patrol and observe is long gone in most municipalities.

Protecting your neighborhood now falls on the shoulders of the residents to be observant and reactive.

My little suburb consists of about 5.5 square miles and at any given point of the day there are probably no more than 2 or 3 cars on patrol. One officer per car.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
After the City Council meetings I've worked the last 5 months I'm afraid Reno, and many other municipalities around the country will haveP to be forced into having the citizens band together for mutual protection. This is proof that we don't need government, as it fails in it's quest for power, we need each other, our Liberty, and the means to defend it and ourselves.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

from projectvxn
This is proof that we don't need government, as it fails in it's quest for power, we need each other, our Liberty, and the means to defend it and ourselves.

I agree with projectvxn. It is always a good general rule to not become too reliant on another for something important. And the judge gave good, solid advice. Exercise your Second Amendment rights - that is the best way to prevent them from being taken away. The judge didn't advocate violence, only preparation.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I'll bet they won't have any trouble scrounging up LEO's to come to your door if you don't pay your taxes.

As a second line, I would like to note that I finally got my avatar pic to work

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzoriaCorp

Awesome. Truly a sign of what is to come. It excites me.

No offense, because I have often made some bone-headed comments like that, but. . . . really?

I mean, yes, things have to change. And yes, TPTB have to see the light, and our Consumerism, and Waste, and Greed have to reach a tipping point, and we have to learn to live correctly again,

But. . . Excited about the hard times to come?

Many people will suffer, and not just the guilty ones. Our children will inherit a world without all the easy-living and good times. They won't grow up the way that we did. I think it is a little short-sighted and calloused, and all too common for people to say they are excited about this upheaval.

It's kind of like being excited to see a plane crash....sure, the emotion fills us, and it is tittilating, but it is also tragic and sad, and I don't believe any of us "really" want to see it expedited in any way.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I'm not looking too forward at a third world standard of living either.

Yay, the US gets to know what its like to live in Mexico.

Oh Joy.

[edit on 9/4/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

this pretty much happened in saginaw. the ak47 days, where bullets were everywhere, deaths every day right when the cuts were made. saginaw is worse than detroit. i carry a knife because of the things that have been going on. from the shotgun killings to the chainsaw psycho.

i talked to a nurse when i was in school. she just cried and said "the throats, they all were shot in the throat, oh my god"

this was at the VA hospital three blocks away, in the good part

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Where I live the police will tell you that if you are attacked you should run away. The police that say such things are severely mentally retarded. I wonder how many of these idiots are indirectly responsible for the death of good Americans. Police that say such things are a threat to the U.S. Constitution and go directly against what America stands for.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Many people will suffer, and not just the guilty ones. Our children will inherit a world without all the easy-living and good times. They won't grow up the way that we did. I think it is a little short-sighted and calloused, and all too common for people to say they are excited about this upheaval.

I too am excited to see that the cracks in the global system are starting to widen. I am however also saddened by the fact that yes; there will be casualties, both guilty and innocent, over a matters that should be peacefully resolved (or never allowed to happen in the first place).

I agree with your statement, however what you have stated will happen regardless of how things unfold. Innocent people are being hurt already through taxes, corporate patronage and BS legislation. Our children are not going to have the easy lives that we've had regardless of whether the system falls or not.

The question now is can we improve things for our grand-children, or do we allow them to be victimized before they are even born?

I was watching videos earlier from Bolivia where people were protesting the privitization of water; even while the protests were peacefull the police used tear-gas. Lastnight I was watching videos about the Conference of the America's; the delegates were bragging to reporters how everyone wanted this conference and it's objectives to succeed while outside tear-gas was again used to breakup protestors (so much tear-gas that radio stations were warning people against going into the city center for any reason).

Just trying to have TPTB listen to us is met unilaterally with violence; in many cases plants are used to ensure that there is a crackdown to provide a propaganda sound-byte for the news.

Every time a politician votes for a bill that the constituents openly disapprove of; every time the public is expected to pick up the tab for the actions of exploitive executives while at the same time having the family home foreclosed on...the chances for any peaceful resolution to these problems gets farther from our grasp.

There is no fixing this system, we need to hit the reset button and start over again. The problem is those in power will never allow that to happen; they have too much to lose. It's their choice on how this plays out and so far it's nothing but business as usual.

I think TPTB have become a victim of the complacency they've worked so hard to instill in the masses. Always before they have been able to salvage the situation at the last minute by throwing the sheep a little copper while the gold is still safely secured.

Those days are numbered, possibly over already. Token appeasement is not going to be enough, real change is what we need.

Unfortunately, that is not in their interests.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LuxFestinus

by LuxFestinus
Where I live the police will tell you that if you are attacked you should run away. The police that say such things are severely mentally retarded. I wonder how many of these idiots are indirectly responsible for the death of good Americans. Police that say such things are a threat to the U.S. Constitution and go directly against what America stands for.

Why do you say that? Do you expect the cops to tell you to stand your ground and defend yourself? If you were injured, they could be held responsible.

I know of no LEO that would advise you to stand and deliver.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I live in Cleveland and this only about 45 minutes east of where I reside. The loss of manufacturing jobs over the past decade have slammed this county mercilessly.

Everyone should start paying VERY close attention as this is a harbinger of things to come for ALL of us! If you don't own a gun, get one and become proficient in its use and care. Your safety and that of your family may one day depend upon it - and that day may be sooner than you think.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The is one silver lining that I would say one might hope to see in the times to come.

The restoration of the American community.

For what was apparently to be a grief hiccup in our American culture's development, there was a time when the sense of community in the country was stronger.

There was a time when in the dead of night you could knock on any strangers door in an emergency, and you could rest assured, whoever opened it wasn't going to be fearful, confrontational, or violent.

You could hitchhike across the country. You could pick up a hitchhiker - without fear.

People didn't 'need' neighborhood 'watches' - threats were so uncommon as to be easily handled by many fewer LEOs per capita. EVERYBODY noticed strangers, because EVERYBODY knew each other. We didn't walk around in a media induced fog, or looking away when people walk by. Peace Officers went their entire careers without EVER having to pull their weapon or resort to life threatening violence.

Many of our kids think that's not true. They don't know any better. They think 'fear' is 'normal.'

Strengthening community resolve to have an identity dissolves bias based on inconsequential ghosts of a dead past

But I predict: The political media will hype the fear factor until we can't even stand to say "Hi." to each other.....

As it stands today, our leaders are so afraid that they are only one crisis away from calling in the National Guard and setting curfews. Some of our young officers (and a few veterans) seem only too eager to use all the 'tools' of their trade.. almost as if citizens were always presumptive offenders until proven otherwise.

Can we rise to the opportunity to recapture that sense of community (as if it hadn't been there all along?) Or will we acquiesce to the lure of the big thinkers who tell us whats right and wrong in all the splendor of their fabricated glory?

Again... I ramble....

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I don't own a gun nor do I plan on buying one. I would feel much safer if the police (our current force and what they have become) were not around. I tend to agree with what the forum moderator just posted.

I think that the article is contrived media: issue fear and collect taxes. All we need to do is get out of Iraq or Afghanistan and everyone can be a paid police officer.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by ibiubu]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The only thing threatening Americans will be other Americans.

Think about it.................

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Please do not assume there is only one ashtubula be specific

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join