It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voters Elect 19-Year-Old Mayor

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

War is bad, I know. But, let's not get carried away. Being allowed to volunteer for the army and being elected to a position of (relative)power within the government are not really analogous. I think the comparison is a stretch, and not particularily useful. Whatever is wrong with recruiting young people to the military(and I agree that there is something wrong with it) is not also justification for why they should be mayors.

I understand where you're coming from: you want to express you anti-war opinions. That's obviously fine, but it doesn't seem like a reasonable argument can be made for why kids should run towns from the fact that they can join the military. The two activities are unrelated. It's very much similar to when people say 18 year olds should be allowed to drink because they can fight wars. It's not a good argument because one really has no connection to the other.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

[size=10]WHAT?

I think all 18-21 year olds should be drafted! That way us people that are not affected by WAR can go about are lives as if NOTHING is going on.

Excellent endeavor!

I find our economic problems to be tied in directly to these problems. This is getting to be a MAJOR problem.

My God, what next?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I will be a principled and responsible mayor, leading this great township into a new era of...oh, what? backstage passes to lady gaga and a superdope tricked out car? hellz to the yes you can dump toxic waste in the lakes...

pimp!!!

ok, stereotyping youth off...carry on..had to be done.

that

v.s.

"Damn right, im going to spend those tax dollars! You want new roads? PAH! You don't deserve new roads. We need pay raises and worthless government contracts with my brother-in-law's fertilizer company!

/end old person politician stereotypes

i think ill stick w/ the lady gaga freaks

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I think all 18-21 year olds should be drafted! That way us people that are not affected by WAR can go about are lives as if NOTHING is going on.

So much for freedoms.

I'll keep that one book marked if you ever decide to run for POTUS

I think the draft should be illegal and we should keep our damned nose out of everyone elses' business

you'd be amazed at how many countries wouldn't piss in our sandbox if we stopped shatting in theirs.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Yeah, people that DO NOT UNDERSTAND sarcasm will be listened to.

You know snarf, you have given yourself up as a provocateur long time ago, do you actually think anyone here actually listens to a DAMN thing you say?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
While I welcome younger people into all forms of government, I have serious reservations about this.

At his age, he is too immature to be a mayor. A mayor has to know and encompass every facet of his locale.

This kid can't do that, simply because he is too young to have the requisite life experiences.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
HAHAH My Brother In Law lives just outside of Rice Lake proper too...

OMG, I'll need to ask him what he thinks about this and maybe he voted for him(?)

Ron Paul as a roll model... My sister in law (his wife) would NEVER have voted for him! She loves Big.Gov.

Finally, some Hope & Change

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Apparently you just did...

I just don't see the point in getting all up-in-arms about someone so young being elected.

Old white men have been doing this for a long time, and we see where it's gotten us.

Time to try something new, i think.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join