It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voters Elect 19-Year-Old Mayor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Quinn, who served one year on the Rice Lake City Council before being elected mayor on Tuesday, said, "Age, I don't think, necessarily makes a difference, I mean, it's about the issues."

Source

Awesome! I'm tired of all these old men that are set in their old ways and can't accept any real change or the career officials that take bribes. I think it's awesome that people at least have to open mind to vote for a 19 year old. I don't think to much needs to be said about this. Hopefully it's the start of something new. Wonder if this kid really knows what he's getting into though?

What do you guys think about this?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SeeingBlue

I don't think Political Madness is the forum you were looking to post in tho' .

Maybe a Mod will come along and direct it to the appropriate forum .

I think it is a good thing . We have had this happen a couple of times around here where I live . Seems to be working out good .

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Its a good thing, but the younger ones are probably just as easy to buy off as the older ones. So I don't think age really matters, except that the younger people might be more open to change like you said.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I think it's kind of cool but more silly than anything. This is a person who has been a voting adult for one year. All of politics is about voting adults. How much could he know about anything, let alone the concern of the general population, who aren't children? I assume he isn't in college, because he is the mayor. Is a highschool education and interesting childhood enough to prepare your for anything terribly important?

19 year olds are notoriously bad decision makers. I think this says a lot about the decision making abilities of those who elected him.

P.S. Teenage ATSers, don't flame me. I'm young too, 24, but I recognize that you get smarter and more mature as you get older.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

I agree with you on some fronts and a few years ago might have agreed with you completely.....but given the political climate right now, I have come to the decision that it isn't about life experiences anymore.

Look at some of the 'mature' idiots we have running our country!

Now, I think it is about common sense. My 14 year old son has more common sense than a whole lot of adults that I know, and I would trust him 100% with something important than I would anyone of those college educated morons.

SO...while I agree that with most, intelligence and maturity come with age I don't think that is a given. If a community elected this young man, they must have had some motivating reasons and I'll bet he can do a better job than the elected officials we have at the helm right now!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I will be a principled and responsible mayor, leading this great township into a new era of...oh, what? backstage passes to lady gaga and a superdope tricked out car? hellz to the yes you can dump toxic waste in the lakes...

pimp!!!

ok, stereotyping youth off...carry on..had to be done.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Good for him and the people. Looks like this kid was heavily influenced by Ron Paul. After I become a US Citizen later this year I'll be running for city council within the next couple of election seasons.

It's time for this generation, armed with the Constitution and history, to do what our parents could not and would not do, take this country back one office at a time.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeeingBlue

Awesome! I'm tired of all these old men that are set in their old ways and can't accept any real change or the career officials that take bribes. I think it's awesome that people at least have to open mind to vote for a 19 year old. I don't think to much needs to be said about this. Hopefully it's the start of something new. Wonder if this kid really knows what he's getting into though?

What do you guys think about this?

Even as an old man now, I would agree with you... but will point out a difference between some folks (old or young at heart) and young folks.

Life itself places incredible collective pressure upon you to "go along (with the acceptable conduct of the status quo) to git along"

I believe in this heart that all chldren are born inherently honest, and that lying is LEARNED - taught to kids mostly by their parents; causing pain, suffering and injustice to another is LEARNED. . How to Cheat, and CON people is LEARNED - and deceit demands that a conscious decision be made to LIE.

Further, considering the amount of pain and suffering in this world that happens as part of the nature of life, it blows my mind that people will actually cause pain and suffering with INTENT TO DO SO.

As if it 'proves' something. In America "Winning" is taught to us to be EVERTHING... is it?

Or is the TRUTH "Everything"??? and we were LIED TO?

At the INSTANT a person starts lying, they must start using parts of their brain to keep track of all their lies.. hence, it is a safe bet that lying actually does make you stupid!

I think the brain should be used for solving problems.. NOT keeping track of deceits...

People ask where have all the heros gone?

They have been, almost one for one, bought and pressured to SELL OUT, and those that do not SELL OUT, can be killed, or perhaps in the future they will be taken out by a predator drone...run by joystick in the hands of a kid who living in a game boy trance...just one more kill stat.
Those who do not sell out are then such a small minority that it is easy to focus the fawning CNN mentality public on the slight faults that go along with BEING HUMAN and DEMONIZE and DEPOPULARIZE them as moonbats, kooks and/or crack pots, even IF they were to get a percentage of the Presidential vote.. (Ralph Nader)...

Some remember what it was like to be that child in wonder about the dust motes floating in an afternoon's sunlight, through sunbeams drawn by venetian blinds....

And then there are those who have learned the hard lesson, that g-d is MONEY, and every man has his price... for his soul...

Or does he?

[edit on 9-4-2010 by seataka]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Got to say, the Libertarian Movement in my state is on the roll. I have a list of candidates this fall I have sent emails to that I will help them in their efforts to get elected.

Still looking at options for me to run for a position in government. There are a couple positions in the city and county I might give a stab at.

There is a move for non government affiliated people in getting elected. There is a move for non Dem and Repub affiliated people.

This country is ripe for a move away from the status quo.

Think about running yourselves folks. It can only help your resume and hell you may meet a lot of good people and make some friends in the process.

Also, what the hell, gov elected positions pay pretty good and are pretty stable positions. Just remember not to sell out your ideals. That is when the booths get frightening.

Go Wisconsin!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

"I think it's kind of cool but more silly than anything. This is a person who has been a voting adult for one year. All of politics is about voting adults. How much could he know about anything, let alone the concern of the general population, who aren't children? I assume he isn't in college, because he is the mayor. Is a highschool education and interesting childhood enough to prepare your for anything terribly important?

19 year olds are notoriously bad decision makers. I think this says a lot about the decision making abilities of those who elected him. "

And yet, he is old enough to join the military and ship off to a God-forsaken hell-hole where he has only two choices ... kill or be killed .

How much do you suppose he could know about that , at 19 years old ?

Is a high-school education and an interesting childhood enough to prepare him for anything that terribly important ?

I agree with you that a lot of 19-year-olds are notorious for making bad decisions . Why do you suppose that our system allows recruitment officers to enter the high schools and glorify and glamorize life in the military ?

Could it have anything to do with 'get 'em while the gettin's good' ?

I think that says alot about the decision-making abilities of those who allow the war machine to target these young people .

I would much prefer to see him doing what he is doing instead of going off to some foreign land killing or being killed .

Maybe , just maybe , he could be the one who eventually , someday , brings this country to it's senses and stops the madness called war .

Maybe my grandson won't have to die on some God-forsaken battlefield clear across the world , if this young man stays in politics and does his part to shape a better world for those who carry on after I'm gone .

Maybe I'm just an old fool who refuses to let his dreams die .

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The kid obviously had more Friends willing to vote for him than people who belived in voting for his opponents.
And probably a 'Facebook' group called 'vote for me.'

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Today the mayor, tomorrow the President. It's happened with less credentials than this....

Age alone should not be a factor in determining whether or not this kid -- sorry, man -- is qualified.

However, I would hate to see this become a trend, just for the sake of starting a trend.

I've read, as have most of you, what some of our "younger" members think about things like the Constitution, books, taxes, policy, history, etc. I would hate to think that these "ancient documents" are going to be passed over by the younger generation. And of course, this doesn't apply to everyone.

But, maybe that's just because I'm "old" comparatively!

PS -- I hope the mayor gets a driver with his salary -- he's not even old enough to rent a car if he has to travel out of town!!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

But what is great, is that this guy and others like him, are followers of the Constitution.

Many feel that the young are out of touch with this. I have a huge family and the younger generation know that the government is huge.

Some have had the brainwashing of the college profs but people like this guy has not.

Hell, Rice Lake is only a short jaunt from me. I may have to run there to meet him. Gotta love the ambition and drive it takes to do something like what he has done.

The man cannot EVEN drink legally but he is a Mayor of a town. What does that say? Kind of ridiculous in my eyes.

Same as for people that are in our armed forces. They can defend the country but they do not have the same rights as you and I?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

At Last At Last a Mind that's free At Last!]
]

Now, I think it is about common sense. My 14 year old son has more common sense than a whole lot of adults that I know, and I would trust him 100% with something important than I would anyone of those college educated morons.

Sorry westcoast but I could not resist the comments of a parent to make my humble point any more clearly. There's no "age of reason" any more, people's ideas stand on their own merit, our assumptions and our prejudices are the same thing. Your reply addresses the assumption that there is some validity that one point of view is more valuable than another based on some preconceived notion (age in this instance) and you soundly reject that notion in the case of your son. The real influence of the young is just now being realized and it's a catalyst for change society hasn't ever experienced. If it all goes as I would like, we're all going to reeducation camps to learn inspiration and fun, but that may be contingent on if we let the young ones lead (not that there's any choice really).

gj

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Okay, I have to ask what exactly his experience is in regards to politics.

One year on the City Council means nothing in the concept of Mayor.

Was he in the Student Government, or possibly a Boy Scout?

Taking a college class or two in Political Science does not mean someone knows politics, irregardless of age, and I wonder why he was elected.

Yes, sidewalks, and cutting down trees, hooray for the environment.

So, I did some digging, and found his website, as well as statistics of Rice Law, Wisconsin.

Vote Romaine Quinn

Quote from : Vote Romaine Quinn

Please help elect Romaine Robert Quinn on Tuesday April 6th for Mayor of Rice Lake.

•Sidewalks

Sidewalks are important and necessary, but not everywhere. I support “NO” special assessments for new neighborhood sidewalks.

•Engineering Costs

As budgets become harder to balance, all possibilities of potential savings must be explored. We spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on engineering, yet we never consider this area as a potential money saver. Now is the time to review our contract with Cooper Engineering and examine the possibility of bidding out these services.

•City Administrator

During these trying economic times it can to have a new set of eyes reviewing the city’s finances. Now is the time for a new city administrator and to reevaluate the job title and job description.

•Community Center

I support the building of a new community center at the UW Barron County site once the resources are available. The city has explored many options and should take advantage of the offer that is on the table.

Those are a few of the items he's put his name behind to get elected.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Rice Lake, Wisconsin

Rice Lake is a city in Barron County in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 8,320.

The city is located mostly within the Town of Rice Lake.

U.S. Highway 53, Wisconsin Highway 48, and Main Street are three of the main arterial routes in the city.

Rice Lake elected Romaine Robert Quinn, 19, as mayor on April 6, 2010.

He takes office April 20, 2010.

Rice Lake 30 sec commercial 2009

A town of over 8,000 people and they elect him.

53% of the population elected him, that means people voted in the majority.

It also means a lot of people did not vote either.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Rice Lake, Wisconsin : Demographics

In the city the population was spread out with 23.5% under the age of 18, 10.1% from 18 to 24, 26.4% from 25 to 44, 20.5% from 45 to 64, and 19.5% who were 65 years of age or older.

The median age was 38 years.

For every 100 females there were 87.8 males.

For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.7 males.

Almost 47% of those demographics are from 18 to 44 in age ranges.

Yes, yes, he can legally purchase cigarettes, yes, yes, he can vote, yes, yes, he can go to war for his country, all of those things do not require a lick of political experience whatsoever, and they do not require any more thought than the fleeting moment of the situation either.

Joining the military at age 19 guarantees getting life experience, not that you have it already, you learn about responsibility, and the world.

I sure hope the people get the change they wanted because while he is legally viable for the position, it does not mean he has any knowledge or experience, and while the people want a Mayor who will listen to them it does not guarantee that he will do just that always, nor does it guarantee that will be a good thing for the benefit of the city.

I am the only person by age 19 I know who had knowledge of politics at that age.

Over all, I wish him well, as I wish the city.

I do see major struggles though because he's not even lived long enough to have been married, nor has he been alive long enough to make major life decisions about his own life, let alone a city of 8,000 + people.

Personally, I see a political office as a major amount of responsibility.

And a person really should be at least 30 prior to being elected to any position.

They have after all, at age 30, lived long enough to vote more than once.

And loved, hated, regretted, and thought over correct, incorrect, and bad choices.

Both as a person and as a voting citizen.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Very interesting such a young person could be elected mayor. Maybe he was very popular in highschool...

It kind of inspires me, maybe I should go run to city council or mayor here. I'm only 24 but it would be a good job to land

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I do have to say SKL, you do always break it down damn well. Rice Lake is a beautiful town and a great place to live. I actually have a couple relatives that live right near there.

Kind of funny how this town got into ATS. I had heard about this guy last year while he was running for council.

I believe the turmoil in these times has awoken a lot of younger people. A lot of younger people.

I have one nephew that says I talk too much about the political. During the Easter holiday we got together and we talked a little more about the political at the gathering. I asked him if he still thinks I talk too much about the political. He stated "no, maybe I did not think about the political enough."

The younger generation is waking up to the debt load their generation is being burdened with.

The times are getting interesting.

edit to add quotes

[edit on 4/9/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Yeah, endisnighe, that's because I do not sugar-coat crap.

Sugar-coated crap, is still crap, just sugar-coated.

When it comes to politics, I go for the throat, and do not hold back.

Like I said, I wish this kid well, and the town well.

And yes, I called him a kid, I'm 36, he's a kid.

A city is something that counts on people making the correct choices.

It is a microcosm within the county and some decisions need to be examined prior to making them, and with a City Council that did not listen to the people prior to this young man taking office, he now has a majority of people on the Council who may or may not side with him.

And a City Council not siding with the new Mayor can make him a lame duck.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Yes, I thought the same thing when I read the article. He had only been a councilperson(retyped due to not being labled-
) for one year and then became Mayor.

I think after I get everyone's taxes done this weekend, I do a bunch of people taxes, I may see if I can go up and talk to this Mayor.

You would be surprised on the people here in Wisconsin going away from the blue. We have the main business (farms) being decimated lately. Yes, Wisconsin over the years has gone to a much more diverse industry base, but the farmers are the backbone, especially since the high technology field and plastics have taken a hit. I have several family members in those fields here. Now for the education system, I have several family members in those as well, are waking up to the problems. They had always thought the Dems were the bees knees.

I find it almost funny, if it was not so sad, that many of them in this time, are calling me and asking what do I think about what is going on.

People only start to question when it effects them directly. People have to realize that when government is detrimental to one group of people, it invariably will wind up in your own backyard sooner or later.

[edit on 4/9/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Agreed.

People only think about things as it affects them, directly, self-centered.

On a daily basis, I think about things that affect me, that affect my employer, that affect my county, that affect my state, that affect my country.

As well as every country ours touches throughout the world.

Oh to have the problems of a 19 year old Mayor.

Then again, I do not think like most people, and never have.

At age 13 I was told by a man in his 40's I was as cynical as a 30 year old.

If this young man is half of the cynic I was he will do well.

I now think like a 60 year old and I am only 36 years old.

I slowed exponentially, because I had to force myself to have fun.

Learning the things I have has taken its toll on me, because I see irresponsibility as not only the way society ignores problems if it does not affect them, directly, I see this as a means of society being so engrossed in themselves they ignore the patterns that politics lays out for everyone to see.

Politics lays out a clear pattern, if you know what to look for, or if you want to see it.

I am so grateful I took after my stepfather.

He would rather play sports, than watch them, and he was always too busy working to play them, it gave me the gift to ignore the bread and circuses.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join