It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Show your racism - Dual nationalities; who do you side with for your kid?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Imagine you are born dual nationality (That is each of your parents are from different countries and you are a citizen of both areas) and imagine you fell in love with someone with the same background (for those of us joining late they also have dual nationality, but in this case they have parents of different heritage from yours).

Which country do you chose as your alternate 'back-up' for your kid?

Now due to the hypothetical nature of this question you can have any background you wish, as can your imaginary partner, and you can choose to have your child anywhere in the world with said partner - just understand that said country will be half of that child's 'citizenship'/passport.

So where are they born, and which nationality would you have as their 'dual' element on their passport(s)?

Any and all, as always, are welcome. Please let me know your thoughts.

-m0r

MOD NOTE: This is about children, their development, and what you would wish them as and as such I've put it in this education section. I am an educationalist, as is my wife, and so please don't move this without at least telling me why - and well!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I was born in Holland, my wife in Canada. Recent repatriation laws were passed which allows me to return to Holland if I wish, So I suppose I've potential dual citizenship.

Personally, I'd leave it up to the children themselves.

My sons have plenty of relatives in both Holland and Canada. If they wished, it wouldn't be an impossibility for them to live in either country.

On a side note:
What was the "Show Your Racism" about in the title? You're not suggesting that countries are indicative of racial division, are you?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Not at all masqua,

I'd just like to see the end game here where we see which alternative country people would pick for their children if given full reign.

Would you like a British, American, Chinese, French etc. alternative government to legally support your child if push came to shove?

And if so why?

I think we'll very quickly see which countries are the desirable ones and which ones aren't given valid responses - which in turn could be explained away as racist by those who see fit (ie. those who don't get elected as valid choices).

-m0r

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
Would you like a British, American, Chinese, French etc. alternative government to legally support your child if push came to shove?

I look at it quite differently... in that by living in a country, my sons are supporting that government, not the other way around.

I think we'll very quickly see which countries are the desirable ones and which ones aren't given valid responses - which in turn could be explained away as racist by those who see fit (ie. those who don't get elected as valid choices).

A quick peek at the myriad sites which show the Standard of Living will show which are the most desirable countries, but one needs to be careful about what they're looking for. If a person wanted a career as a well paid soldier of fortune, I doubt they'd be happy in Belgium, for instance.

sp

[edit on 9/4/10 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Mmm, I am also wondering about the phrasing of the title for it actually inflames what otherwise seems an interesting question ... if anything perhaps "ethnocentrism" would be the applicable term.

To the question ... I would do my best to teach my children that the letters on their passport do nothing to define who they are.

[edit on 10 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

join