It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bart Stupak to Retire

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
You know, the guy who was holding out on the health care bill because of the abortion lannguage in it. But then he got to ride on Air Force One with President Obama and suddenly his mind changed. Yes, that guy. Well looks like he wanted to go out with a bang, because he is set to retire.

Michigan Rep. Bart Stupak, the congressman who led anti-abortion rights Democrats in the House during health care negotiations, will retire this year, CBS News has learned. He is expected to announce his plans later this morning.

Had Stupak sought re-election, he would have faced challengers from both the left and the right backed by interest groups angered by Stupak's health care vote.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7d77d3ad9578.jpg[/atsimg]

Bart Stupak to Retire

Needless to say, he was not the most popular guy after selling himself and his constituents out for a ride on Aire Force One

The below is a vid of messages left on Stupaks answering machine. There is some explicite language, but it illustrates the anger of his constituents

Like many other congressmen, Stupak received violent threats from citizens after his health care vote. However, the Michigan Democrat came under particularly intense scrutiny because of his role in the abortion debate.

Stupak was a target of the tea party.
Tea Party target Stupak won't seek re-election

However, he claims it had nothing to do with it.

"The Tea Party did not run me out," he said in a telephone interview. "If you know me and my personality, I would welcome the challenge."

The group kicked off a $250,000 television and radio blitz in Stupak's district Wednesday, ahead of rallies that began Thursday night and were continuing through the weekend.

That prompted the conservative Tea Party Express to launch a $250,000 ad campaign against Stupak this week. The group also scheduled a handful of stops on its bus tour in Stupak's district.

Now if only we could get the rest of congress to retire...

-E-

[edit on 9-4-2010 by MysterE]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Another one bites the dust. I am sure he will be starting some new job at an Obama connected entity for his collapsing on the HCR.

Well, saves the Tea Party some money-more to use somewhere else.

S&F for getting the info out quickly.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Another one bites the dust. I am sure he will be starting some new job at an Obama connected entity for his collapsing on the HCR.

I think your right about that. It will be interesting to see where he lands. I'm sure it will be on a board where he works little and gets padi ALOT.

-E-

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Honestly. I don't blame the guy. Should one of those neocon bible-thumping nut jobs make good on their threats, I'd opt not to subject my family to such danger. It all depends on your priority order of God, Country, Family.

For the Tea Party to take credit reminds me of a rooster proudly crowing that it made the sun rise.

My .02¢

[edit on 9-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
You beat me to the thread.

Apparently Obama asked Stupak to reconsider his decision. But Stupak knew he could not win re-election in November.

He sold his political career and his integrity for a ride on AF-1 and a "promise written on ice", to quote my father-in-law. This has got to be one of the cheapest dates ever.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This is just classic. Fake tears and all. Cut and run. I wonder how many more of these Dems. will follow suit before November. Great strategy
I strongly believe that this move was calculated before he cast his vote.

With these guys out of the running, the Dems. must feel like they will really have a chance with new blood on the ballots.

Nation take note. Your wishes were ignored when the HCR votes were cast but these cowards will certainly not ignore the fact that your votes count in Nov. They would rather run than face the music.

Stupak might as well move to an isolated commune in Idaho after this move. I highly doubt that his constituents will roll out the Welcome Mat for him back in Michigan.

Coward! He sold out on the vote and now he is selling out on accountability.

edit to add:
I don't buy the death threat BS for one minute. It is all part of the hoax to give the HCR supporters a clean way out of the mess that they created.

Threats are nothing new to politicians and public figures from all avenues. Oddly enough, these stories are conveniently getting air time right now.

I nominate Stupak for an Oscar in the role of HCR supporting actor.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Good riddance traitor. If I were him I'd be moving to a different universe.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Add a calendar reminder to check what job Stupak has this time next year. I bet it pays a hell of a lot more than his current job and I bet it will be bestowed unto him by the Obama administration. He has no credibility so now he has to be in a position where he is appointed rather than elected.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I don't buy the death threat BS for one minute. It is all part of the hoax to give the HCR supporters a clean way out of the mess that they created.

Threats are nothing new to politicians and public figures from all avenues. Oddly enough, these stories are conveniently getting air time right now.

Kan. abortion doctor's killer uses sentencing to espouse views, gets life in prison

www.startribune.com...
W3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsZ

Plane Crash Suspect's Online Diatribe

www.thesmokinggun.com...

Fausto Cardenas Arrested For Shooting At Texas State Capitol

guanabee.com...

Holocaust Museum shooter, neo-Nazi James von Brunn's ex-wife: he vowed to go out 'with boots on'

www.nydailynews.com...

Yeah, nutjobs never make good on "threats."

Your attempt to minimalize threats is pathetic.

Just a "hoax?"

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Nice try. What does that have to do with the alleged threats against Stupak and the rest of his ilk. The threats have always been there and they always will. These sudden threats against congressmen are being played as a distraction and are being used as an out.

Attacks against abortion doctors and clinics are nothing new. I am 38 and this has been going on for as long as I can remember. Your story is just the most recent!! Please don't force me to dig through the archives.

These cowards want the nation to believe that they are the targets of everyone who are opposed. That rationale simply does not float. The big fat paint brush has been used to the extreme and the paint is drying out.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I added a few more links above. You were saying?

Here, grasp another............................................................
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/142c73e1e224.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It's MUCH more likely that he's retiring because of some threat to him or his family from some goon squad on the right than the idea he changed his vote for a ride in Air Force One.
That's just insane. And with all the threats toward Democratic Congressmen since HCR passed, I wouldn't be at all surprised that he was "pressured" into retiring.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Boo hoo hoo. Maybe his conscience will eat away at him for the rest of his days. Maybe he will be haunted by the consequences of irresponsibility. Maybe he will waterboard himself as he tries to sleep with his own tears. Maybe he will starve himself due to the acidic taste of bitter regret in the back of his throat. Maybe he will die from the loneliness and despair of a self-tortured soul.

Nah, he is proud of himself. Just like the other rotten tyrannical traitors are.

Best thing would be to round them all up and send them to Ahabstar's Psychology Camp for the Damned (tm) and let me work on their self-esteem problems for a while. 0% graduation rate guaranteed or your money back.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Woo hooo! BH is in the house! Welcome BH!

Look out ill-mannered, narrow minded, weak logic and biased thinkers.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/261bb4e51566.jpg[/atsimg]

Spank 'em Girlfriend!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I believe the threats have something to do with his retirement, but I also believe he sold out on his stance for what ever circumstances took place on that plane ride. Probably, as other members have stated, a nice new job that pays well.

I don't think you can take any death threat lightly. There is a very fine line that seperates threats and action. I don't agree with Stupak and want him out of office, BUT the way to do that is with a vote, not violence.

-E-

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Goodbye Mr. Stupak. Soon you will be joined by many others who will either retire or be thrown out of office for what you did to the American people when you, like others, refused to listen to them. You did the right thing in saving yourself the embarrassment of losing an election big time.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

My favorite death threat is the one about a brick thrown through the window of an office of one of these jokers..........An office that is on the 30th floor of a building.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
reply to post by jibeho

I added a few more links above. You were saying?

Here, grasp another............................................................
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/142c73e1e224.jpg[/atsimg]

And again, none of them have to do with Stupak. Without proof that he is, in fact, under fear for his life then all you have is heresay.

You've done this to us countless times, so now we're asking you to do the same - prove it or you've got nothing but your own straws to grasp.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by sos37]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What's that saying about rats leaving a sinking ship........???

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Oh and heads up - BH was actually ridiculing the notion that Stupak was retiring because of death threats.

"It's MUCH more likely that he's retiring because of some threat to him or his family from some goon squad on the right than the idea he changed his vote for a ride in Air Force One.
"

That was sarcasm, in case you missed it, ridiculing the very point you're trying to make.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join