It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

33 states out of money to fund jobless benefits

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

I agree with the fact that some people are getting use to unemployment checks( as I know of some as well). But I dont think there are 7-8 miliion jobs available out there right now, seeing thats how many we've suposedly lost in the last couple of years. There are some people that are still trying to make ends meet and those unemployment checks are whats keeping them fed. I think we could agree that more retricttions should be made for getting umemployment though. Now you walk into unemployment offices and they hand you form. No background checks for your job search at all; (that I know Of).

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
wrong thread.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Fractured.Facade]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I think we need a federal jobs program, a massive public works project.

The federal govt should hire a few million people to build Hadrian's Wall along the southern border. Once it's completed, they can deport all illegal aliens residing inside the prison system.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DTigerW

Maybe there's not 7-8 million jobs, but if there's even 4 million, that would start the cycle. Four million people with jobs, getting yearly raises, are more likely to go out and start buying cars to replace the run-down cars they have, or upgrading tvs, or whatnot. Once products start moving off of shelves, the cycle is moving, and more jobs start opening.

As far as the immigrants issue is concerned, we don't even have to deport them. Give them amnesty, make them citizens, make them start paying taxes like the rest of us.

It's up to the citizens to kickstart the economy. My wife and I are lucky enough to be in careers that are a little more stable than others, and believe me, we do our part in spending money. In the last month alone, I've spent $1000 on one of my hobbies. I know in the big picture, that doesn't matter much, but if everybody spent even a tenth of that, it would help.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanic
The states and federal government need to stop extending unemployment. As I am seeing right now, people aren't even trying to get jobs, because they've adjusted their lifestyles to live on unemployment. The jobs are out there. People just need to get off their rear ends and look for them, and stop being so picky.

This country has lost MILLIONS of jobs. The jobs are NOT out there. I've been looking for a job since summer 2008 and, other than temp jobs, I have not even received an offer. Most of the people I know have lost their jobs. And around here you have thousands of people trying to get a handful of job openings at a company. Recently Meijer had open interviews for 220 positions over a six-day span and they estimated about ten thousand people applied and showed up for the open interviews.

Originally posted by MekanicWe also need to get rid of the illegals who are working for pennies on the dollar, and we need to accept that we have to do those jobs too. As Americans, we've gotten lazy, expecting that everything be handed to us. This country will not survive if this mentality continues.

Nice of you to lump the rest of Americans with yourself. You may feel/acknowledge that you are lazy, but many of the people I know who've been trying to find a job are definitely NOT lazy.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

As far as the immigrants issue is concerned, we don't even have to deport them. Give them amnesty, make them citizens, make them start paying taxes like the rest of us.

This country has already given the illegal alien invaders amnesty and made them citizens more than once. What happens? More of them keep coming over. It never ends.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Well that’s great news!

Our country is so far in debt we can’t afford to add to the deficit anymore unless you want our country to file for bankruptcy. Secondly, no one should expect or take any money from the government. The Federal Government should only provide military defense. The Fed was intended to stay small in size and the power to make rules would lye with the states. This ensures our real freedoms of a small and limited govement would stay maintained. If not, you will have a government that will slowly and quickly strip your constitutional rights away’s. You have seen the last several presidents increasing the size of government and take away more of our God given freedoms. Have you noticed the Police state mentality, the overbearing control on everything from health to privacy?

When you receive something for free there is usually strings attached. Money is taken in the form of taxes from everyone in our country and the government grows larger and encourages this bad behavior because they want needy people. People are not helpless, they just need to be prepared and pointed in the right direction. Learn how to live a debt free and create a simple sustainable lifestyle. If you lost your job like I did, the first thing I did was go door to door asking my neibors to support there community by giving me any business they could spare. This included Lawn Care, Computer repair anything to get the ball rolling. Then start a business, do what you love and what your good at. For me that was Insurance and I began helping people save money on their yearly insurance premiums. This only cost my time and motivation to make it.

We need to stop fighting each other; Divided we are conquered and united we will succeed. This two party one headed system of government is not were we need to look for answers. Find them with your friends, family, local businesses in your communities and from within. Break away from the system that enslaves you and use your vote. Elect yourself for President.

I believe things will get worse in the years to come, prepare your self physically and mentally. Work hard on making new goals that will help you to achieve a new sense of freedom and independence from the system.

God Bless

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
So maybe this was an intentional detonation of the financial system after all. We the states are all going to bow to the federal government now. The fed has owned the states for awhile now but this will concrete it IMO. I can see Obama and the elites meeting and broadcasting the NWO plan of action right now to the masses. It will go like this.

"All your bases are belong to us".

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Taco Bell, Shopko, Schneider National, McDonalds, Best Buy, Oshkosh truck. There's jobs out there, everywhere. Go ask a farmer if he could use some help, and don't ask for $20 per hour. Believe me, if the city of 100k, plus surrounding communities has that many job openings, so do others.

And no, not everybody is lazy, but I know alot of people who are taking full advantage of the relaxed unemployment guidelines, but I also know people who are looking for jobs, getting jobs, and some who are even working 2-3 jobs. As a whole, America is lazy. It's the American Dream to sit back on your duff and push buttons on a computer while some immigrant does the hard work of cleaning your crap stained toilet, and digging weeds out of your garden.

I bust my butt every day to feed my family, and make sure that the company I work for doesn't fail. In the meantime, I watch the government toss money around like rice at a wedding. I watch able-bodied people buy junk food and soda on welfare benefits.

Lower your standards. Believe me, if I lost my job tomorrow, I'd be washing cars or flipping burgers, picking weeds or cleaning toilets within a week. Some people are used to being rich and pampered. I'm not. I grew up making my own way while my dad pissed away the food stamps that were supposed to feed me. It's too bad, that people in this day don't know what it's like to earn a living.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Taco Bell, Shopko, Schneider National, McDonalds, Best Buy, Oshkosh truck. There's jobs out there, everywhere. Go ask a farmer if he could use some help, and don't ask for $20 per hour. Believe me, if the city of 100k, plus surrounding communities has that many job openings, so do others.

I've applied at Taco Bell, McDonalds, everywhere. No one gave me a job. I doubt anyone would put $20/hr as their asking wage when the managers don't even make that. My mom's worked at Taco Bell for years now, and she still doesn't make much more than minimum wage.

I have a lot of physical problems that hinder my ability to obtain employment. I cannot control my body functions thanks to Crohn's disease and IC. I'm slowly going blind and now am at the point where my vision is no longer correctable to 20/20. My eyesight started going downhill after my husband beat me up real bad, causing a lot of neurological damage. My hearing is off too. I could sit there, not able to hear someone that talks normal one moment. The next moment it's like they're high pitched and I get a really bad headache, but the person hasn't changed their tone at all. It's hard for me to even carry on a conversation with someone.

Originally posted by MekanicAnd no, not everybody is lazy, but I know alot of people who are taking full advantage of the relaxed unemployment guidelines, but I also know people who are looking for jobs, getting jobs, and some who are even working 2-3 jobs. As a whole, America is lazy. It's the American Dream to sit back on your duff and push buttons on a computer while some immigrant does the hard work of cleaning your crap stained toilet, and digging weeds out of your garden.

Most of the people I know do not have a garden. Most the people I know are low income and live in tiny apartments. They're doing hard work themselves, and they definitely do not hire immigrants to do anything.

Around here you have thousands of people apply for sometimes only one or two openings. There are not enough jobs for all the people who want one.

Originally posted by MekanicI bust my butt every day to feed my family, and make sure that the company I work for doesn't fail. In the meantime, I watch the government toss money around like rice at a wedding. I watch able-bodied people buy junk food and soda on welfare benefits.

People's tastes do not change just because they're poor. If someone was buying junk food when he/she had a job then the person is probably going to use their food stamps on it too. Most people these days were never even taught how to cook. They just buy already made junk food and eat it. Some people even think that warming up a can of soup is cooking from scratch. I've often said if they had workshops teaching people how to cook then it would help everyone. Much of that junk food shouldn't even be made. The government doesn't really want people to be healthy though.

Soda is now worse for you than it's ever been since they replaced the sugar with corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup to save money. It doesn't taste the same, either.

A lot of them don't realize how bad the stuff is for them. 'The government allows the stuff on the shelves so it can't be too bad' is what a lot of them think.

Originally posted by MekanicLower your standards. Believe me, if I lost my job tomorrow, I'd be washing cars or flipping burgers, picking weeds or cleaning toilets within a week. Some people are used to being rich and pampered. I'm not. I grew up making my own way while my dad pissed away the food stamps that were supposed to feed me. It's too bad, that people in this day don't know what it's like to earn a living.

Lower my standards? If I lowered them further I'd be sleeping outside somewhere.

I have a college degree. When employers see that, they say I am "overqualified" and send me packing, never giving me a chance. Or some place will briefly hire me, then they dislike that I have to use the bathroom all the time (I cannot help it; I have very little control over that stuff in spite of two surgeries trying to fix some of it) and fire me within hours. I have worked at many places for a day or two and they fired me because of my health problems. I have never been able to be gainfully employed. I've been ill since early childhood. Not my fault. I prayed and hoped for healing for years, but it never happened. I finally stopped praying at all.

The longest job I ever had was at Wal-mart, and they would have fired me too at the first place for the same reasons the other places do, but Wal-mart has a process where they have to give warnings, coachings, and a d-day before firing you. I'm blackballed from ever working at Wal-mart again.

I finally broke down and filed for disability the other day. I always wanted to have a real job like a normal person, but I finally have to accept that I'll never be blessed with such a thing. I'm 34 years old now and my health gets worse and worse and will never get better. I have trouble even getting up and down the stairs to my apartment now. I have severe arthritis in my knee and leg and you can hear it creak and pop as I move. I have to hold on to the railing to keep from falling. I have to wait to see what the government says about my disability claim now.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Didn't know you had a condition, so I apologize. But I'm not aiming at any one person. If you are disabled, and it is hindering your ability to work, then by all means, you should collect for it. In certain circumstances, you can even work part time and still collect the benefits.

That I won't tell to just anybody though. My dad got fired from a job many years ago, and he claimed ADHD to collect SSI, and he took advantage of his military disability as well. He makes more than my wife and I combined, and he does nothing. I know alot of people who use SSI as a crutch, and believe that they can just live off of that for the rest of their lives, and never work.

I could never understand why an employer would tell somebody that they are over qualified. Doesn't that just make the person better for the job?

I look at the paper every week, and there are jobs out there. There is job fairs around here once every month or two. Employers are hiring, even if it is only a couple people here and there.

And no, maybe not everybody is lazy, but there is a good number of people who are. I do know people who are looking for jobs every day, I also know alot more people who say, "Well, I'll just take a couple months off and collect unemployment". The number of the latter, is much higher than that of teh former.

As a whole, "living the dream" is to have life as easy as it can be. And that's a huge problem, especially when working isn't easy.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
It's just class warfare -- since the 1980s the supply-siders have cut off federal subsidies arguing states should be self-sufficient but if states want to regulate business at a stricter level than federal law the courts say it violates the commerce clause. So no family farm laws, for example, unless they're diluted. No bans against toxic waste or mining, etc. Meanwhile the vast disproportion in wealth due to cutting the top federal tax rates has led the elite private sector to move jobs abroad to increase dividends, at the lower tax rates, etc. It's a feedback cycle that ended in vast debt speculative finance gambling -- now bailed out by the poor -- the working class tax payers!!

There's now a new global elite instead of a nationalist elite -- so Henry Kissinger is on the board of directors for China's oil company, etc.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I could never understand why an employer would tell somebody that they are over qualified. Doesn't that just make the person better for the job?

I never understood it, either. Someone explained to me that people will often look at the degrees and figure you won't stay long and will just get a better job later, so they don't bother with you.

My first degree is really worthless. By the time I graduated, the jobs had already started being shipped out of the country. Now, even if the jobs came back, the technology I was trained in is obsolete, so the degree would still be worthless. The college system sells degrees like candy when there's not enough demand for them. It's a money racket.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join