It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good, Powerful Air Rifle(UK)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

In today's society you can, maybe. But you still need supplements to replace the meat.

The whole world is based on the eat or be eaten concept, and even plants and vegetables are living organisms, so you can't live without killing some other life form.

Actually you dont need supplements to replace the meat. I dont take any.

you can get protien, fibre, fat, carbs, vitamins, pretty much everything. from a vegetarian diet.

its entirely possible to have a high protien low fat diet too.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return

Originally posted by Rohdan
lol...I don't like killing beings.if that makes me soft I'm totally fine with that.

I still think it's not natural. We don't need meat, that opinion was disproved long time ago. we hunt animals and breed animals to kill them. that's pretty f...ed up isnt it.

"the thrill of getting a nice, clean kill"....by saying that you make my reasoning pointless

Are you a vegetarian?

Not natural? Hello! We are hunter gatherers, you can't survive in most natural habitats, without hunting for meat.

In today's society you can, maybe. But you still need supplements to replace the meat.

The whole world is based on the eat or be eaten concept, and even plants and vegetables are living organisms, so you can't live without killing some other life form.

one of our achievements ist, that we don't need to kill animals anymore.

the supplements argument is old and not true.

you're right, that the animals' world is based on the eat or be eaten concept
. we are highly sophisticated....

plants grow again.
look at the populations of fish, they don't grow again cause we etch them.

10 000 years ago we ate meat. but we weren't as many people on earth as we are right now. we disturb natural cycles.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Rohdan

You are free to have that opinion, but i like eating meat( humans are omnivores) being able to hunt and prepare your own meat is a valuable skill to have along with getting quality meat for "practically" nothing. I will be branching out to other animals in due time, i have relatives that know much more about the permits needed and the best places locally to hunt. I simply wanted a good,reliable and powerful first air rifle to get me started, hence the thread.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB

But dont you need two seperate metal gun cases, secured to the wall/floor with a decent lock on them. one for ammo, and one for guns. in seperate rooms.

Yep. The storage facilities need to be inspected by the local plod to ensure they are as secure as possible. The cabinets need to be Home-Office approved and secured to a solid wall or floor that is not adjacent to the outside of the building. Different constabularies may have other rules, such as the requirement for a burgler alarm to be fitted to the property etc.

Things such as the crime level in the area, remoteness of the property, external lighting, how often the property is left unoccupied, the type of firearm and its' attractiveness to criminals and general knowledge by locals that you possess a firearm are all taken into consideration during the risk assessment.

plus like you say you need to join a shooting club too.

Or provide letters from two or more land owners if the purchace is for a hunting firearm. There are currently no restrictions on where a shotgun may be used or how many may be held on the licence. However all shotguns owned must be documented on the certificate. Rifles on the other hand need to be documented individually with the proposed and authorised use and ammo types and amount permitted stated on the licence.

By the way, a shotgun in UK law is defined as a gun with a smooth bore of not less than 24" in length with a capacity of no more than 2 rounds.

A Section 1 firearm is a manually operated (but not pump-action) gun with a rifled bore and a calibre over .22LR. The Section 1 license allows for the ownership of pump action and semi automatic .22LR rifles. Shotguns with a capacity of over 2 rounds, air rifles with a power over 12ft/lb and air pistols with a power over 6ft/lb also fall into this category.

Pump action, Semi and fully-automatic rifles, as well as pistol, require a Section 5 dealership and export licence and are banned to the general public.

Black powder guns (including pistols) may be owned without a license, but require an explosives licence if powder is to be kept.

does the certificate need renewing after a while too?

Tickets are valid for 5 years. Currently £50 initial issue and £40 for renewal. Additions and ammendments are £26 each.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by PaddyInf]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf

Originally posted by MR BOB

Black powder guns (including pistols) may be owned without a license, but require an explosives licence if powder is to be kept.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by PaddyInf]

thanks for the info.

I thought it was perfectly legal for anyone to make and own up to 100g of black powder. but not to buy it.
as long as it is stored correctly.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Rohdan

you're right, that the animals' world is based on the eat or be eaten concept. we are highly sophisticated....

Jeah, you think you are. Until hunger sets in.

Eating meat has been natural since the beginning of mankind, just because modern society let's you survive without meat, doesn't mean we shouldn't eat it, or that it's bad.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
i shot a rabbit with a potato gun once now that was funny and there was no suffering there broke its neck so dont wast £300 go down to BaQ spend £15 on making one there so mutch more fun

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Just remember to stay legit!

You do not need a license to own and air rifle or pistol providing it is not capable of exceeding certain power limits. The power limit is set at 12 ft. lbs. For air rifles and 6 ft. lbs. For air pistols. These power limits are for any brand of pellet and it is your responsibility to ensure that the gun has a legal power output at all times. Special rules apply however, in Northern Ireland.

You may not possess an air rifle that exceeds the 12 ft. lbs. Power limit unless you have a firearms certificate (FAC) which allows you to possess it.

link

When I was a kid I came across a really solid (Chezh made I think) .22 rifle, it was good for a laugh but it was old and beaten up - had it of been a nicer weapon my mates dad would of been able to jack up the power beyond the legal limits if I wanted.

If you want to hunt I've been told it's better to go with a .177 (the smaller pellets) because you are more likely to get the penetration at the lower power an air rifle gives.

Also remember most of these things look an awful lot like the real deal from a distance! - Armed police will and do treat any air rifle encounter as if you were carrying a firearm, so be sensible and don't alarm the curtain twitchers...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
You should have a look at a skan , great air rifles , really well made , one of the best loading systems i have used like for like

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
As pointed out you can only have 12lbs air guns in the UK and these are not much better than pea shooters and shows how your goverment trusts you.

in europe you can get 18lbs, co2 , bolt action with 8 shots but might do better with a high powered crossbow but not the toys they sell at car boots for about £12.

i'm told that you don't need a licence for a dry powder gun and they are fantastic if shot at night.

if your not into Co2 then i'm told of a very simple way to make air guns go with a real zing without touching the springs but i would guess it might damage the gun unless they are over engineered.

you can also get 77 pelets that weigh the same as 22 but i'm not sure it makes much difrence and in europe i've even seen pelets with a bit of plastice right at the back that makes the pelet split up on impact but sounds to me like a gimick for a pea shooter.

i never shoot a rabit with an air gun but i did once shoot a small bird from 3m away and it fell from it twig and died after about 20 seconds so i think you would need to hit a rabit in the eye to bring it down else it would run off and might sucumb and die days later, i could always be wrong.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by LieBuster
As pointed out you can only have 12lbs air guns in the UK and these are not much better than pea shooters and shows how your goverment trusts you.

in europe you can get 18lbs, co2 , bolt action with 8 shots but might do better with a high powered crossbow but not the toys they sell at car boots for about £12.

i'm told that you don't need a licence for a dry powder gun and they are fantastic if shot at night.

if your not into Co2 then i'm told of a very simple way to make air guns go with a real zing without touching the springs but i would guess it might damage the gun unless they are over engineered.

you can also get 77 pelets that weigh the same as 22 but i'm not sure it makes much difrence and in europe i've even seen pelets with a bit of plastice right at the back that makes the pelet split up on impact but sounds to me like a gimick for a pea shooter.

i never shoot a rabit with an air gun but i did once shoot a small bird from 3m away and it fell from it twig and died after about 20 seconds so i think you would need to hit a rabit in the eye to bring it down else it would run off and might sucumb and die days later, i could always be wrong.

hello...

you should be aiming for the eye anyways , you shouldnt be even taking a shot if you cannot gaurantee a quick kill,

and 12ft pounds is plenty for hunting in britain ,,,,believe me , if you are not killing what you hit cleanly with 12 ft pounds , then your technique is poor not the rifle....

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Try this one out for size.

www.quackenbushairguns.com...

I personally like the .308 rifle. The .50 is a bit much for most game around here. I also have little interest in hunting bear. But deer would be a challange. You only get one good shot..so make it count.

You can cast your own bullets with this set up. That makes it very convenient.

I did not know that in the UK 12 pounds of energy is all they allow you.

But I do know that air guns are available in larger than .22 caliber.

In the small calibers I like the .20 and .22 air rifles verses the .177 caliber.
However...were I to upgrade, I would prefer the Quackenbush in .308 caliber.

Thanks for the informations on what is available or authorized in the UK.
Sad to see your government does not trust your people with firearms. Very sad. They dont even trust you with air guns. Also sad...

But large caliber air rifles are made and available as one earlier poster showed.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
hi orangetom , thay trust some of us with them , and tbh if you saw some of the numpties here , you probably wouldnt trust them either ,lol regards..

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join