It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roman Empire vs. Han-Dynasty China: Who wins?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Both empires at the height of their respective glories...say, sometime around 100-200 AD. Assume a level, neutral zone of engagement...perhaps on the plains of Central Asia. No holds barred. Absolute war to the finish, with total annihilation the mutual goal.

SPQR vs. 漢朝: There can be only one.

[edit on 4/9/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Right. Any question of comparing civilisations, the natural resource for me is Toynbee.
I've dug up this quotation from Study of History, vol 7, on the Roman army;

"Augustus' army possessed no striking force, no field army, no reserves,and the only means of reinforcing the garrison of one sector of the was the drafting of a detachment from the garrison of another sector...After Hadrian had made a rule of the prevailing tendancy for the legions...to be recruited locally...the whole Roman army was degraded into being a bevy of gendarmes and customs officials."

This suggests to me that the proposed Roman expeditionary force would be feeling very uncomfortable and vulnerable far from home. Even Germany, the record shows, was something of a "bridge too far".

Furthermore, my impression of Roman military history is that they were prone to suffer catastrophic defeats as a result of ambush- perhaps something to do with a tendancy to neglect reconnaissance. In unfamiliar terrain, this would be absolutely fatal.

My hasty search hasn't yet found a comparison passage for the Han, but things are looking good for them at the moment.

"

join